Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

Funny to hear that the Ostro is like the SL7 where you ride. I got the Ostro after getting an Aethos. I do have to work on the hills on the Ostro more than the Aethos. Ride quality on the Aethos is more suited for my old bones and climbs well when pushed. Also, the Aethos doesn't have any issues keeping up on group rides on the flats, but thats where the Ostro shines...rollers and flats. i don't pay attention much to metrics...but the Ostro is everything they say about it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

morrisond

by morrisond

Are there any any published BB or HT Stiffness numbers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lookryder

by Lookryder

kode54 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:46 pm
Funny to hear that the Ostro is like the SL7 where you ride. I got the Ostro after getting an Aethos. I do have to work on the hills on the Ostro more than the Aethos. Ride quality on the Aethos is more suited for my old bones and climbs well when pushed. Also, the Aethos doesn't have any issues keeping up on group rides on the flats, but thats where the Ostro shines...rollers and flats. i don't pay attention much to metrics...but the Ostro is everything they say about it.
Oh, I meant that the Aethos is everywhere. I haven’t seen a single Ostro here in Salt Lake where I live. Occasionally I’ll see an O2, but that’s it.

theStig

by theStig

I was wondering if someone can help me figure out sizing on an Ostro?

My last Retul was done on my 2011 ML Lynkskey cooper. I don't have the exact geometry figures, but the Retul #s are

740mm saddle height (top middle of saddle to center of BB)
-89mm saddle setback (saddle nose to center of BB)
550mm handlebar direct reach (saddle nose to center of handlebars)
-39mm handlebar drop (top of saddle to top of bars)

I'm thinking the Ostro will be a bit more aggressive geometry-wise, but whats the closest I can get? My lynskey is running a 100mm 6 degree stem (flipped to point up instead of flat) on a set of 3T ergonovas.

I am thinking a 56cm Ostro with 100mm barstem. Does that sound right? Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

theStig wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:41 pm

My last Retul was done on my 2011 ML Lynkskey cooper. I don't have the exact geometry figures, but the Retul #s are

I'm thinking the Ostro will be a bit more aggressive geometry-wise, but whats the closest I can get? My lynskey is running a 100mm 6 degree stem (flipped to point up instead of flat) on a set of 3T ergonovas.

I am thinking a 56cm Ostro with 100mm barstem. Does that sound right? Any suggestions? Thanks guys!
I have a suggestion, contact Factor directly as they will for sure help you!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

theStig wrote:

Tell me the stack and reach that you like and I'll tell you what size Ostro. At least it's a starting point.

740mm saddle height suggests you could go 54 or 56, though that's a pretty low saddle to be riding a 56. Be careful with Factors sizing suggestions - seem to recommend a bigger size than is typical. FWIW I am 183cm tall with a 76cm saddle height and I am dead perfect for a 56 Factor (120mm stem, moderate saddle setback). Factors online chart suggested size 58 for me - too big for sure.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

theStig

by theStig

Based on my calculations, Stack is 592mm and reach is 376mm. I chose this bike because it's the most comfortable in the stable, but I do recognize its a big difference when comparing geometry between the two. Currently have a 100m stem and 25mm setback post

So the three decisions i have to make for the ostro are
- frame size
- stem length
- and 0 or 25 offset seatpost.

thank you very much in advance!

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:16 pm
theStig wrote:

Tell me the stack and reach that you like and I'll tell you what size Ostro. At least it's a starting point.

740mm saddle height suggests you could go 54 or 56, though that's a pretty low saddle to be riding a 56. Be careful with Factors sizing suggestions - seem to recommend a bigger size than is typical. FWIW I am 183cm tall with a 76cm saddle height and I am dead perfect for a 56 Factor (120mm stem, moderate saddle setback). Factors online chart suggested size 58 for me - too big for sure.

kode54

by kode54

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:16 pm
theStig wrote:

Agreed. Factor suggested a 54cm for me...but 52cm fits me perfectly.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

theStig wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:08 pm
Based on my calculations, Stack is 592mm and reach is 376mm.
These numbers are for you Lynsky? And they result in you using a 100mm upturned stem? Curious to know what the reach on your bar is - that would help paint the full picture. I'll assume it's medium reach at 80mm which is what the Factor bar/stem is.

As far as the Ostro goes, the 52 has the same reach of 376mm. Of course the stack is a mere 523 so no chance you can ride that. The reach on the 54 goes up to 384mm so you would have to cut back stem length to 90mm but you still have no chance of getting to the bars as the stack is still only 542mm. With the max number of spacers the stack might work for you on the 56 but now you have a reach of 392mm so the stem will have to 80mm which Factor does not make in the bars that ship with the Ostro.

I don't think this isn't the bike for you unless you are prepared to ride in a significantly different position.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

seventyseven

by seventyseven

Sorry to add another "what size am I?" post, but I wanted to get some additional opinions on Factor's sizing recommendations. I'm almost certainly between a 54 and 56, could probably ride either, but I am facing some decision paralysis on which to actually pull the trigger on given the high cost of the frameset.

For context I am 177 cm tall and have a saddle height of between 73-74 cm depending on how I am feeling (a bit of a microadjuster over here...)

Current bike is a 54 cm 2019 Cervelo R3 Disc with a stack of 555 mm, a reach of 378 mm, 120 mm stem and 70 mm reach bars. It's slammed although the top cap is a little chunky, let's say 9 mm for the sake of some nice round numbers.

The 56 cm Ostro has a stack of 565 mm so right away it's higher, nevermind factoring in the 5 mm top cap + 2mm stem spacer, so I will basically have to slam it from the get-go to come close to my existing fit. Factor is recommending this size for me, as well as a 110 mm 𝗑 40 cm barstem.

The 54 cm Ostro has a stack of 542 mm and a reach of 384 mm, so obviously it's more aggressive, but if I were to add in the 20 mm top cap + 2 mm stem spacer I am at the same stack as the R3. Factor is also recommending the 120 mm 𝗑 40 cm barstem if I were to go with the 54.

The thing is, before the Cervelo I owned a Propel that was almost identical stack/reach (+/- 1mm) to the 56 cm Ostro which I could certainly ride, but at the time thought was a little too aggressive for me so I sold it and bought the R3. This was my first "real" bike and over the last few years I've gotten fitter and more flexible and ended up setting up the R3 more aggressive than the Propel ever was.

All this rambling to say: I am still not sure which Ostro to pick? The 54 cm with 22 mm of "spacers" I could live with, but of course I am not getting any younger so I worry eventually I will find it too aggressive. The 56 cm slammed I could also live with but I worry it's just too "tall" for me in terms of standover/seat post (I could always spend more time in the drops so front-end height is a little less concerning). Being such an expensive bike I want to make sure I can ride it for years to come.

Anyone have any suggestions? Please put me out of my misery here.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

seventyseven wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:47 pm
Sorry to add another "what size am I?" post, but I wanted to get some additional opinions on Factor's sizing recommendations. I'm almost certainly between a 54 and 56, could probably ride either, but I am facing some decision paralysis on which to actually pull the trigger on given the high cost of the frameset.

For context I am 177 cm tall and have a saddle height of between 73-74 cm depending on how I am feeling (a bit of a microadjuster over here...)

Current bike is a 54 cm 2019 Cervelo R3 Disc with a stack of 555 mm, a reach of 378 mm, 120 mm stem and 70 mm reach bars. It's slammed although the top cap is a little chunky, let's say 9 mm for the sake of some nice round numbers.

The 56 cm Ostro has a stack of 565 mm so right away it's higher, nevermind factoring in the 5 mm top cap + 2mm stem spacer, so I will basically have to slam it from the get-go to come close to my existing fit. Factor is recommending this size for me, as well as a 110 mm 𝗑 40 cm barstem.

The 54 cm Ostro has a stack of 542 mm and a reach of 384 mm, so obviously it's more aggressive, but if I were to add in the 20 mm top cap + 2 mm stem spacer I am at the same stack as the R3. Factor is also recommending the 120 mm 𝗑 40 cm barstem if I were to go with the 54.

The thing is, before the Cervelo I owned a Propel that was almost identical stack/reach (+/- 1mm) to the 56 cm Ostro which I could certainly ride, but at the time thought was a little too aggressive for me so I sold it and bought the R3. This was my first "real" bike and over the last few years I've gotten fitter and more flexible and ended up setting up the R3 more aggressive than the Propel ever was.

All this rambling to say: I am still not sure which Ostro to pick? The 54 cm with 22 mm of "spacers" I could live with, but of course I am not getting any younger so I worry eventually I will find it too aggressive. The 56 cm slammed I could also live with but I worry it's just too "tall" for me in terms of standover/seat post (I could always spend more time in the drops so front-end height is a little less concerning). Being such an expensive bike I want to make sure I can ride it for years to come.

Anyone have any suggestions? Please put me out of my misery here.
The 56 size isn't just reach to handlebar, it's also the difference in where your saddle will be.
I think i would go for 54 if i were you. A smaller bike will be more nimble and i guess you would like that better.
What frame numbers would be ideal to you?
R3 is to high? But 54 Ostro to low. Would it be a frame that's about 384mm reach and stack of 560mm?
It's same as Colnago V3RS (size 52S) and i think for your length they would recommend a 50S Colnago.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

seventyseven

by seventyseven

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:21 pm
The 56 size isn't just reach to handlebar, it's also the difference in where your saddle will be.
I think i would go for 54 if i were you. A smaller bike will be more nimble and i guess you would like that better.
R3 is to high? But 54 Ostro to low. Would it be a frame that's about 384mm reach and stack of 560mm?
It's same as Colnago V3RS (size 52S) and i think for your length they would recommend a 50S Colnago.
Right, of course, I forgot to mention seatpost: Factor recommended the 0 offset post which I tend to agree with since my body prefers to be over the BB. Looking at the STA, HTA, rake etc of the Ostros it looks like Factor likely designs them to feel very similar between the sizes. The only thing that might feel a little different is the steering input from differing stem lengths? Interestingly both Ostros also have a longer wheelbase than the R3.

Ideal geometry, I think you nailed it with the 52S V3RS. It is a shame that Colnago basically has no presence in my part of my country. Also I would be building up the new bike with a Shimano groupset and even I know that is sacrilege for a Colnago. Maybe one day I can afford a full Campagnolo build.

sigma

by sigma

Lookryder wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:17 pm
kode54 wrote:
Oh, I meant that the Aethos is everywhere. I haven’t seen a single Ostro here in Salt Lake where I live. Occasionally I’ll see an O2, but that’s it.
Up in Park City, there are a few of us. I have the One rim, LS, Vam 02, and soon the Ostro Gravel coming in I think. A few Ostros around currently but I think the new gravel offering fits the bill for a gravel racer for sure.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

ArtV

by ArtV

sigma wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:01 pm
Lookryder wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:17 pm
kode54 wrote:
Up in Park City, there are a few of us. I have the One rim, LS, Vam 02, and soon the Ostro Gravel coming in I think. A few Ostros around currently but I think the new gravel offering fits the bill for a gravel racer for sure.
If you get the Ostro Gravel with the aero integrated bar, please let us know what you think of it. I am presuming that we will be able to buy the new integrated bar by itself at some point. Thanks!

JeffK

by JeffK

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:21 pm
Thats not true. The only difference between the 54 and 56 is in front of the BB (reach). The seat tube angle is the same on both, so if that angle is the same, and the seat height is the same (which it will be), the saddle position is the same. The only way the saddle position changes is if the seat tube angle changes between sizes.

I am right between sizes (54 & 56) myself. I can fit both, a 54 with 20mm spacers and a 110mm stem, or a 56 slammed and a 100mm stem. Since saddle position is the same on both, its deciding on which look I like, the wheelbase (handling), resale, etc.
-------
2021 Factor Ostro VAM
2021 Factor LS
2018 Trek Speed Concept

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com