Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mike1

by Mike1

SashaJoseph wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:01 pm
New bike day! :D
Very Nice! Will be similar build to mine if my frame ever arrives. Over 3 weeks late and counting...😅
Factor Ostro VAM - 6.67kg
Open U.P w/ Ekar - 7.2kg
Canyon Ultimate EVO Disc - 6.17kg (retired)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inaju

by inaju

Could someone tell me how much an ostro vam t 56 soho mix box weighs? And the weight of the fork? I have asked for one, I would appreciate this information, greetings

ericlambi

by ericlambi

Looks like Darimo is doing an Ostro seatpost now. Should be a nice weight savings!

Cykel

by Cykel

SashaJoseph wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:01 pm
New bike day! :D
Nice! What was the lead time for delivery?

ericlambi

by ericlambi

I ordered a Sicilian Peach at launch and was disappointed with how they changed the color scheme in the final version. So I had it redone ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CX0-2hauroz/

jeho

by jeho

with the recent post from Factor about the SLT ceramicspeed headset bearings.

https://factorbikes.com/factor-x-cerami ... linkin.bio

Mentioning that these were delivered to any bikes that were post Mar 21 delivery. Mine was delivered in May but don't recall seeing anything "SLT" or aware of it.

Does anyone recall having these "better" bearings or contacting Factor for them (pre-march 2021 deliveries)

FabianV

by FabianV

ericlambi wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:35 am
I ordered a Sicilian Peach at launch and was disappointed with how they changed the color scheme in the final version. So I had it redone ...

Wow great looking bike. I'm still trying to get used to the big blue Factor-logo on my the bike. All black would have been nice.

ericlambi

by ericlambi

FabianV wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:53 pm
ericlambi wrote:

Wow great looking bike. I'm still trying to get used to the big blue Factor-logo on my the bike. All black would have been nice.
Thanks! Question for the group ... anyone ever try putting 650b wheels on their bike? I'm going to [try to] ride up Mauna Kea (massive/steep climb in Hawaii) this Spring ... the ride will be like 6-8hrs, and only a fraction of it is on dirt ... I'd like to ride the Ostro, but have been told min 40c tires for the dirt section. It's like a very steep loose dirt road, almost like sand I've been told, nothing that is likely to damage the bike or require technical riding ... anyhow, 40c w/ 700c wheels is an obvious no go, but I thought perhaps with 650b? I can try it myself, but the answer will affect a couple choices I make rebuilding it, so was hoping someone here might have a clue so I can make those choices beforehand. Thank you!

jeho

by jeho

Anyone get the Darimo Seatpost yet? Hoping to hear reviews (if ride is harsher or more comfy) and fitment

kode54

by kode54

ericlambi wrote:

Very nice! Makes me want to get one just to paint it like this! I've dealt with Toby before...great service at Hot Tubes.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

ericlambi wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:32 pm
FabianV wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:53 pm
ericlambi wrote:

Thanks! Question for the group ... anyone ever try putting 650b wheels on their bike? I'm going to [try to] ride up Mauna Kea (massive/steep climb in Hawaii) this Spring ... the ride will be like 6-8hrs, and only a fraction of it is on dirt ... I'd like to ride the Ostro, but have been told min 40c tires for the dirt section. It's like a very steep loose dirt road, almost like sand I've been told, nothing that is likely to damage the bike or require technical riding ... anyhow, 40c w/ 700c wheels is an obvious no go, but I thought perhaps with 650b? I can try it myself, but the answer will affect a couple choices I make rebuilding it, so was hoping someone here might have a clue so I can make those choices beforehand. Thank you!
Is that the one Ouimet just did? If so, I'd recommend not taking your Ostro as the descents look extremely chunky

ericlambi

by ericlambi

kode54 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:52 pm
ericlambi wrote:

Very nice! Makes me want to get one just to paint it like this! I've dealt with Toby before...great service at Hot Tubes.
I did not have a good experience with Hot Tubes. Very slow, very expensive, designed a paint job they couldn't execute then charged me for the design fee anyway (and held their ground when I challenged them on it). I'm embarrased how much I paid for this frankly, and when I saw the bill I even considered ghosting them on it and buying a new frame. Factor does sell unpainted frames. The Boston area local dealer for Factor is FastSplits in Needham, they would be able to hook you up with someone better.

ericlambi

by ericlambi

I don't know who Ouimet is or if he did Mauna Kea, but there are no descents on the ride. At least in my case I'll be driven down (which is what most people do). I can confirm that 650b w/ 40c tires does *not* work on the bike though. Will be taking a gravel bike for the excursion.

kode54

by kode54

ericlambi wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:31 pm
kode54 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:52 pm
ericlambi wrote:

I did not have a good experience with Hot Tubes. Very slow, very expensive, designed a paint job they couldn't execute then charged me for the design fee anyway (and held their ground when I challenged them on it). I'm embarrased how much I paid for this frankly, and when I saw the bill I even considered ghosting them on it and buying a new frame. Factor does sell unpainted frames. The Boston area local dealer for Factor is FastSplits in Needham, they would be able to hook you up with someone better.
That's a shame. But given all the work they had to do to strip the Peach paint, clean it up and repaint...i'm not surprised it was a bit more than you anticipated. A total makeover more or less.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

jeho wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:39 pm
Anyone get the Darimo Seatpost yet? Hoping to hear reviews (if ride is harsher or more comfy) and fitment
I have one on order, but Darimo are incredibly slow......