Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sib

by sib

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 11:42 pm
Seems the Ostro T47a is unique in that the bearings are internal on one side and external other the other. AFAIK, the Ceramic Speed bottom bracket is also unique. If the Ceramic Speed unit is a problem, there are no other options.
Thanks for pointing this out - I assumed it was a standard T47 BB.
I've now crossed it off my potential next bike list (which is a pity, as I think it looks great).

anquetil

by anquetil

Here is mine:
DA 9270 12 speed
LW Meilenstein EVO tubeless
Berk Saddle

Attachments
factor Ostro LW Meilenstein.jpg
Last edited by anquetil on Thu May 26, 2022 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ArtV

by ArtV

sib wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:01 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Seems the Ostro T47a is unique in that the bearings are internal on one side and external other the other. AFAIK, the Ceramic Speed bottom bracket is also unique. If the Ceramic Speed unit is a problem, there are no other options.
I've now crossed it off my potential next bike list (which is a pity, as I think it looks great).
Pretty sure any standard 61806 bearings fit. Also, I believe Hambini makes a T47a BB as well. For whatever that is worth.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

anquetil wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:47 am
Here is mine:
DA 9270 12 speed
Berk Saddle

[img]C:\Users\1005033\OneDrive - IMPERIAL TOBACCO LTD\Desktop[/img]
Picture not working

Its also that the ceramic speed bearings are great, but way to expensive when you need to replace them. The gains from ceramic bearing compared to steel bearings are marginal, explaining in Hambini's video. So when replacing, would wanna swap for something else. Why in 2022 is there still no standard..

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

MrRolandos wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:58 am
anquetil wrote:
Here is mine:
DA 9270 12 speed
Berk Saddle

Picture not working

Its also that the ceramic speed bearings are great, but way to expensive when you need to replace them. The gains from ceramic bearing compared to steel bearings are marginal, explaining in Hambini's video. So when replacing, would wanna swap for something else. Why in 2022 is there still no standard..
I would say that any gain from ceramic bearings in the BB would be so small as to be impossible to measure.

Your crank rotates at 80rpm, not 8000.

I will have no issues whatsoever replacing my BB bearings with high quality steel.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

cyclespeed wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:30 am
MrRolandos wrote:
anquetil wrote:
Here is mine:
DA 9270 12 speed
Berk Saddle

Picture not working

I would say that any gain from ceramic bearings in the BB would be so small as to be impossible to measure.

I will have no issues whatsoever replacing my BB bearings with high quality steel.
No exactly, the gains are so minimal, but 2 bearings are gonna cost you like $150-200 . If you could just replace them with SKF/NTN bearings or something. That would be great, I'm sure someone has tried it for the ostro vam BB.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

MrRolandos wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:33 am
cyclespeed wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:30 am
MrRolandos wrote:
anquetil wrote:
Here is mine:
DA 9270 12 speed
Berk Saddle

Picture not working

No exactly, the gains are so minimal, but 2 bearings are gonna cost you like $150-200 . If you could just replace them with SKF/NTN bearings or something. That would be great, I'm sure someone has tried it for the ostro vam BB.
SKF make every size under the sun, I'm sure you can source it from them or elsewhere.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

ArtV wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:46 am
sib wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
Pretty sure any standard 61806 bearings fit. Also, I believe Hambini makes a T47a BB as well. For whatever that is worth.
I wasn't concerned about bearings. It was a question about the limited options regarding the cups. If you want to replace those, it's Ceramic Speed or nothing (almost). Thanks for pointing out the Hambini option. His stuff is high quality and assuming his business is thriving, that represents a viable option though nearly as expensive as Ceramic Speed.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Question for Ostro owners in smaller sizes who use the setback seatpost: how "far back" do you feel you can sit?

I"m asking because I'm on a 53cm Bianchi Oltre, which has a 74-degree seat angle, but I feel I can't get back far enough for quality seated climbing and hip rotation, even with the saddle back on the seatpost. And the 52cm Ostro also has a 74-degree seat angle (I could conceivably size up to the 54, but that doesn't leave much standover/stack wiggle room).

crabra

by crabra

sib wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
BBinfinite do a BBCorrect for the Ostro. https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/t47 ... 5765480604

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

crabra wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:46 pm
sib wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
BBinfinite do a BBCorrect for the Ostro. https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/t47 ... 5765480604
Just saw this. Their website doesn't show pictures yet but it is listed as one of the T47 internal options. What I can't tell is that although it is thread-together, does it depend on the sides being torqued together to compress the frame like Wheels Mfg thread-together units for solid hold? Or do the two sides torque up against the outside of the frame independantly? My point is that without a center sleeve that resists compression of the entire bottom bracket shell area, Wheels Mfg type thread togethers will not work. When you tighten them you simply compress the frame and never achieve a secure fit.

Of course if the bottom bracket shell area is perfectly rigid as far as resisting compression, then it is not an issue. However that is not the case in my experience.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

MikeZ

by MikeZ

Are you guys having rear thru axel issues with your Ostro as this guy is in this youtube video? Based on responses to the video, others are reporting the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpr0Av0yKpo

crabra

by crabra

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:07 pm
crabra wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:46 pm
sib wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
Just saw this. Their website doesn't show pictures yet but it is listed as one of the T47 internal options. What I can't tell is that although it is thread-together, does it depend on the sides being torqued together to compress the frame like Wheels Mfg thread-together units for solid hold? Or do the two sides torque up against the outside of the frame independantly? My point is that without a center sleeve that resists compression of the entire bottom bracket shell area, Wheels Mfg type thread togethers will not work. When you tighten them you simply compress the frame and never achieve a secure fit.

Of course if the bottom bracket shell area is perfectly rigid as far as resisting compression, then it is not an issue. However that is not the case in my experience.
You screw the drive side ring in first then install the main part from the non drive side. I then goes through the plastic ring protruding out the past the frame on the drive side.
It has a aluminium sleeve that sits inside between the 2 bearings.
I took it out to show it.
Attachments
04C30667-41CC-4AA4-B758-0FE99C4936AF.jpeg
E23CB049-A5AF-4788-A492-0590E7F0C1B3.jpeg

ericlambi

by ericlambi

Here's an unexciting photo of my finally repainted and rebuilt Ostro. No more pink and yellow! The original barstem was too long for me and I went through a bit of an odyssey trying to replace it with a 36cm bar[stem] that would have a more aero profile than the Black. In the end I have a 36cm Black handlebar and FSA stem. On the heavy side I've got vectors and the DA crank. On the light side I have the Darimo post and FarSports wheels. Weight is 7.15kg according to my luggage scale, size 52.

My mechanic advised that the post is too loose and he had to use copious amounts of carbon paste, over torque the clamp, and is still worried it won't hold, but one ride went by without issue.
Attachments
61BECE77-6822-40E6-89F7-0E34B7464E4A.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeZ

by MikeZ

ericlambi wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:34 am
Here's an unexciting photo of my finally repainted and rebuilt Ostro. No more pink and yellow! The original barstem was too long for me and I went through a bit of an odyssey trying to replace it with a 36cm bar[stem] that would have a more aero profile than the Black. In the end I have a 36cm Black handlebar and FSA stem. On the heavy side I've got vectors and the DA crank. On the light side I have the Darimo post and FarSports wheels. Weight is 7.15kg according to my luggage scale, size 52.

My mechanic advised that the post is too loose and he had to use copious amounts of carbon paste, over torque the clamp, and is still worried it won't hold, but one ride went by without issue.
Repaint looks crisp and it is very different from other Otros out there. Nice ride!!