Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seventyseven

by seventyseven

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:44 am
That's pretty wild. Be sure to post a photo of the finished build.
Alas it's going to be awhile. Snow currently falling outside in my part of "eh?" and most of the drivetrain will come from the bike currently relegated to the trainer for the next 4 months.

tmanley

by tmanley

Just took delivery of my 61cm nude carbon frameset. Moved over components from my now retired Cervelo Caledonia-5 frame.

Only one ride so far but it’s checking all the boxes. Aero, stiff, just compliant enough and rock solid (nary a sound from the frame when I put out a 1,250+ watt sprint effort - which violated my promise to only do z2 riding this month!).

More details on the build:
-DA 9200 except for Rotor carbon Aldhu cranks
-Assioma pedals
-140/40cm barstem combo
-400cm seatpost (from the gravel bike - special request Factor did for me)
-Enve 6.7’s w/ GP5000 TR 28’s

Total weight in race trim - 15.9lbsImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

tmanley wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:59 pm
Just took delivery of my 61cm nude carbon frameset. Moved over components from my now retired Cervelo Caledonia-5 frame.

Only one ride so far but it’s checking all the boxes. Aero, stiff, just compliant enough and rock solid (nary a sound from the frame when I put out a 1,250+ watt sprint effort - which violated my promise to only do z2 riding this month!).

More details on the build:
-DA 9200 except for Rotor carbon Aldhu cranks
-Assioma pedals
-140/40cm barstem combo
-400cm seatpost (from the gravel bike - special request Factor did for me)
-Enve 6.7’s w/ GP5000 TR 28’s

Total weight in race trim - 15.9lbs

Are you 10 foot 9 inches???

tmanley

by tmanley

6’9”. Former Division I NCAA basketball player.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

tmanley wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:59 pm

Only one ride so far but it’s checking all the boxes. Aero, stiff, just compliant enough and rock solid (nary a sound from the frame when I put out a 1,250+ watt sprint effort ...).
Total weight in race trim - 15.9lbs
That's excellent. Very nice weight as well. Not only is it great that you can get a bike that actually looks like a "bike", it's also nice to hear that the frame is solid enough to stand up to what must be your significant body mass. Care to share your weight?

IIRC you did some searching and learned that the gravel post was longer? Is that what you have in there? Looking at your set up, if there will be an issue, it will be in the seatpost/seat tube interface. That is a massive amount of post sticking out of the frame and the saddle setback is significant.The leverage against the seat tube must be extreme. Any idea how many millimeters of seatpost are inside the frame? It woud be nice if the post ended below the seat stay/seat tube junction. We have a tall 100kg rider here who blew apart an O2 at the seat tube even though the seatpost was well below the minimum insert. Different frame of course, but an area to inspect regularely.

Enjoy the ride.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Erwin

by Erwin

@tmanley: Nice one. How close is the gap between the rear tire and the seat stay?

Has anybody tried a 28mm tire on 23mm wide rim? I can remember a picture were a 28mm was fitted on a WR65 (25mm inner width) and it was too close there. One more question please: Does a 10x7mm saddle rail fits the Ostro seatpost? Or do I have to switch to Darimo (or Ostro Gravel seatpost)?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Erwin wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:23 am
@tmanley: Nice one. How close is the gap between the rear tire and the seat stay?

Has anybody tried a 28mm tire on 23mm wide rim? I can remember a picture were a 28mm was fitted on a WR65 (25mm inner width) and it was too close there. One more question please: Does a 10x7mm saddle rail fits the Ostro seatpost? Or do I have to switch to Darimo (or Ostro Gravel seatpost)?
Tons of room at the seat stay. Do you mean chain stay - that's the tightest spot for width. I run 30mm tires at the rear on 25mm internal wide rims. Actual measure is 33mm and clearance is excellent. Tightest spot is top of the tire at the seat tube. About 1 - 2mm. Photo posted earlier in this thread. It's an aero race bike with industry leading tire clearance. If you are running into clearance issues, you've got the wrong tires.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

AXA

by AXA

Hello, I'm currently running my Ostro with a rotor aldhu crank but I'm not sure about all the spacers that I actually mount.
Someone knows what's the correct number and size?

tmanley

by tmanley

Great questions - I’ll post up some answer over the weekend.

tmanley

by tmanley

Answering a few questions...I'll be heading out for a ~4 hour ride later today so more insights are likely from the longer ride. After checking out frame/fit measurements, I was able to nail the target stack & reach numbers I needed. Also nailed my top of saddle to center of handlebar measurement.

1. Currently weighing around 94kg - could see myself getting down to around 90kg eventually, but you never know - 97kg could happen too

2. In my emails back and forth with Factor they told me the new gravel seatpost would be my best option to get to my 90cm BB-to-saddle requirement. There's about 11cm of post in the frame but it's still ~2cm above the seat stay junction on the frame. I didn't pull out the seatpost but the minimum insertion depth is 9cm.

3. With my current tire/wheel setup there's 15mm of clearance between the seat tube and the tire. If I decide to run some 30-32c tires I'll keep an eye on the clearance, but things look good with the current setup.

4. My Specialized S-works Power Arc saddle (9x7mm carbon rails) haven't had any issues w/ the gravel seatpost. I haven't checked, but I'm sure the clamping mechanism is the same between the gravel and regular road seatpost.

-Thanks, Todd

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Well good job to get a bike that works for you. No easy feat at your size. And sub 100kg is a really good weight at your size. Your Ostro should survive just fine. Still wild to see that much seat post sticking out of anything, but wuddya gonna do? Ride safe.

kode54

by kode54

Nice weight! Tubulars seem like the most dramatic weight loss. I can’t get my Ostro sub-6kg, let alone sub-7kg.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

kode54 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:06 am
Nice weight! Tubulars seem like the most dramatic weight loss. I can’t get my Ostro sub-6kg, let alone sub-7kg.
Yeah, the tubs definitely help, but you can get the same wheel in clincher for 1080g so only 100g more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

I have the newer light Enve 6.7 on and they’re about 1400g plus or minus. Saving 400g is definitely close to a pound (US .88lb) but can’t see saving anymore weight in my end.

All bolts are now titanium.
Frame size 52cm
Matte clear no other paint
Darimo 15mm setback post
THM Clavicula SE cranks
Carbon-Ti chainrings
Dulight Tuned Wahoo Titanium pedals
Berk Lupina saddle
Conti GP5000s TR 28mm tires
Black Inc 380 /110mm integrated bars
DA 9270 group
Hambini BB
Enve 6.7 wheels Chris King hubs
Lupine Neo bike light (battery off at weighing)

Even with these parts, I’m at 7.24kg
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc