Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MattMay

by MattMay

Yep, just got an 02 VAM was originally a bit shocked at the fork weight. That bonded bolt is heavy. My fork ended up in the 360-370 range. Upside is the cockpit is rock solid and smooth amd simple with the Black Inc integrated bars enclosing all the cables.

barbaar

by barbaar

fruitfly wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:21 pm
I just took delivery of a frameset. The version I received does not use a compression plug, but instead has a threaded insert bonded into the steerer that extends the full length of the steerer. The instructions on the website say the steerer should be cut 3mm below the top of the stem, so if the directions are followed, there won't be a spacer above the stem. I am optimistic that the changes will solve the problem of the headset coming loose.
Can you share some pics?

Btw managed to fix the issue for now by using some carbon paste. Lbs didn't use any to my surprise
Fuctor Ostro - Campy EPS SR Disc 12sp/P2M NG
Ridley R12 - Campy EPS Record 11sp/P2M NGEco
Thrust something - Campy Chorus/Record mechanical/P2M NGEco

No, that's not a typo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

MattMay wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:11 pm
My fork ended up in the 360-370 range. Upside is the cockpit is rock solid and smooth amd simple with the Black Inc integrated bars enclosing all the cables.
I wouldn't say "simple" as all the cable routing (hydro + di2) can easily take several hours and definitely isn't a process I would enjoy once more if in need to replace stuff :D From all the integrated bars I've worked on recently, this easily ranks among the hardest ones, however, here probably are others even more tricky out there as well.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

fruitfly

by fruitfly

barbaar, happy to take photos-what do you want to see-the interior of the steerer?
Factor Ostro

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

MattMay wrote:
Yep, just got an 02 VAM was originally a bit shocked at the fork weight. That bonded bolt is heavy. My fork ended up in the 360-370 range. Upside is the cockpit is rock solid and smooth amd simple with the Black Inc integrated bars enclosing all the cables.
I guess there is no free lunch. If we want fully integrated we pay with more weight. A "D" shaped steerer is always going to require some extra help. Goes against "nature" IMO. My round steerer VAM fork is 259 grams. The odd thing is that with the new VAM fork, a regular O2 just got 100 grams closer to an O2 VAM. So now aproximately 100 grams less for the frameset. And it is a stiffer bike as well.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

This is why it's dumb that bike brands only advertise the frame weight of a frameset. Who cares about a 750g frame if the fork is 380g (Factor), cockpit is 500g (SuperSix), seat post, hardware, etc....

Just give us the total weight. Or at the very least frame, fork, and seatpost.

barbaar

by barbaar

fruitfly wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:15 pm
barbaar, happy to take photos-what do you want to see-the interior of the steerer?
Yes please! Curious on what the system looks like now...

No, that's not a typo

hannawald

by hannawald

MattMay wrote:
Hmm, nice upgrade. I like this feature with Colnago bikes. It seems rock solid.

moock

by moock

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:28 am
The odd thing is that with the new VAM fork, a regular O2 just got 100 grams closer to an O2 VAM. So now aproximately 100 grams less for the frameset. And it is a stiffer bike as well.
What is stiffer? The O2 or O2 VAM?

sebrenaud

by sebrenaud

I’m a lucky owner of an Ostro VAM flicker since march, and no issues withe the steerer so far, finger crossed it will continue like that as i love the bike.
I bought it as a complete bike with the new black inc 20 tubular on carbon spokes. Lovely wheels, but since a few days i have a creaking sound coming from the rear wheel under load, which makes me crazy and is more importantly not reassuring on the integrity of the wheel. It’s not the hub, it has been checked. Does anyone here has the same wheelset and has experienced a similar issue ? Any advice is welcome

fruitfly

by fruitfly

Barbar, here it is:

ImageIMG_2433 by Hugh Brock, on Flickr
Factor Ostro

barbaar

by barbaar

Tnx! Looks like a solid solution. Think I would take some additional weight over having to deal with a loose headset every time.

But.. Mine is still holding on. Also must admit I would not take the Ostro to Paris - Roubaix now. No confidence it will hold..

No, that's not a typo

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Which brands started this design first? Colnago?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

moock wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:46 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:28 am
The odd thing is that with the new VAM fork, a regular O2 just got 100 grams closer to an O2 VAM. So now aproximately 100 grams less for the frameset. And it is a stiffer bike as well.
What is stiffer? The O2 or O2 VAM?
The regular O2 is stiffer than the O2 VAM. Yes, that's right, the lower end model is stiffer than the higher end model. Nothing surprising about this, the lower end model is 200 - 250 grams heavier. That extra weight does pay a dividend in stiffness.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

barbaar

by barbaar

So the headset of my Ostro did not survive a week of climbing and descending in Austria.

I'm gonna ask my lbs if I can get a fork with the new system. The current headset obviously doesn't work for me

No, that's not a typo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com