Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

engsohere

by engsohere

I'm curious to know if there are other owners of Black lnc barstem that has received this level of workmanship.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

engsohere wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:21 am
I'm curious to know if there are other owners of Black lnc barstem that has received this level of workmanship.
If that's genuine, it's pathetic for the money they charge. There are plenty of counterfeit lookalikes from AliE, so are you sure of the provenance?

caballero

by caballero

Mine wasn't/isn't like that at all.
I've had it about a year, and if this had been posted last week I would have photographed it for you while my bike was apart.

Like the user above asked. Are you sure it's genuine ?

kode54

by kode54

Looks like it was done afterwards to make internal routing. May tear up hydro cables with those rough edges.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

engsohere

by engsohere

Update: I got an email from Factor, "Sorry for this issue, your stem is missing a final machining step that cleans up the raw edges after the silicone is removed as this is required to have the rear hole for the cable routing. Can you please supply me your invoice and we can get a new barstem out to you right away?"

I sent the invoice along with the request to confirm that I am eligible for the lifetime warranty.

Factor, "Seems you have bought a demo or 2nd hand bike from a Factor re-seller. We will take care of supplying a new barstem replacement but for the warranty this is for first owner only so the bike will not be covered by Factor lifetime warranty."

I did know that the frameset was a demo and future support would have to come directly from Factor. But I was not told there's no warranty whatsoever at the time of purchase.

I emailed back and asked if the frameset has not been registered previously why am I not the first owner?

Factor, "You are not considered the first owner as the frame was not delivered to you in new condition and we then don't know the history of the frame."

Cemicar

by Cemicar

So where you purchased the frameset? eBay?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

engsohere wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:15 am
Update: I got an email from Factor, "Sorry for this issue, your stem is missing a final machining step that cleans up the raw edges after the silicone is removed as this is required to have the rear hole for the cable routing. Can you please supply me your invoice and we can get a new barstem out to you right away?"

I sent the invoice along with the request to confirm that I am eligible for the lifetime warranty.

Factor, "Seems you have bought a demo or 2nd hand bike from a Factor re-seller. We will take care of supplying a new barstem replacement but for the warranty this is for first owner only so the bike will not be covered by Factor lifetime warranty."

I did know that the frameset was a demo and future support would have to come directly from Factor. But I was not told there's no warranty whatsoever at the time of purchase.

I emailed back and asked if the frameset has not been registered previously why am I not the first owner?

Factor, "You are not considered the first owner as the frame was not delivered to you in new condition and we then don't know the history of the frame."
Did you buy the bike from a reseller of Factor?
Did they sell it with an agreement that the frameset was sold as new (with lifetime warranty)?
If so, maybe, just maybe you can reverse the purchase!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

engsohere

by engsohere

wheelsONfire wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:26 pm
Did they sell it with an agreement that the frameset was sold as new (with lifetime warranty)?
The frameset was purchased online from an authorized Factor dealer with a physical store location. During the online communication, I was told it was a demo and they will not offer future support. Any warranty claims will have to go directly thru Factor. The frameset arrived in retail packaging with the frame, fork, seat post fully wrapped and all the hardware in the pizza box. Examining the bottom bracket, thru-axles and seat post there's no sign of it being built previously.
Frimez wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:47 pm
Unfortunately, factor support offers no help or warranty at all as the frame was purchased as an industry purchase (discount via a friend who worked in the shop)
Apparently, if the frameset isn't purchased at MSRP it's unwarrantable by Factor.
barbaar wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:59 am
So finally took delivery of the bike with correct barstem and updated compression plug. After a couple of rides, I noticed the headset still would not hold. Informed my LBS. LBS fixed it, but the issue kept returning. Around August 2021, I saw a picture on WW of the updated fork. I contacted the local distributor, who wasn't aware of the updated fork but would order one for me and replace under warranty.

As I wanted to finish the season riding the Ostro, I returned the bike to my LBS around October 2021. So... waiting again... In February 2022, I asked for a status update on the fork. LBS said the bike would be ready next week, but the fork will not be replaced under warranty. Costs; 500 euro. I was unpleasantly surprised by this statement (and that obviously is an understatement).

Contacted the local distributor to ask what was going on. He said this was the third time I needed a replacement and the fork will not be replaced under warranty. I have no idea where the "third time" comes from, but I suspect he is referring to the incorrect barstem and updated compression plug. He said there is nothing wrong with the headset and should work with the updated compression plug.

Luckily, at that point my LBS jumped in between and said he will figure out the issue with the fork with the local distributor. Which was at the exact right moment, as I was about the contact my lawyer. So I ended up not having to pay for the fork.
Is there such a thing as a lifetime warranty?

Rkreddevil

by Rkreddevil

Hi,

I'm planning to buy Ostro Frameset, does the frameset come with t47 bb for either Shimano 24 or Sram dub. Does the frame have standard t47 bb? Is anyone running rotor carbon cranks with 30mm spindle. If yes, which bottom bracket are you using?

kode54

by kode54

I believe it comes with a T47A for asymmetrical BB. Also comes with Wheels Manufacturing spindle adapters for 24mm Shimano and DUB (29mm?).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TLN

by TLN

engsohere wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:23 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:26 pm
The frameset was purchased online from an authorized Factor dealer with a physical store location. During the online communication, I was told it was a demo and they will not offer future support. Any warranty claims will have to go directly thru Factor. The frameset arrived in retail packaging with the frame, fork, seat post fully wrapped and all the hardware in the pizza box. Examining the bottom bracket, thru-axles and seat post there's no sign of it being built previously.
I believe the purpose of "demo" or "certified pre owned" sold by official dealer is that the bike was demo (not registred to any owner) or store return (didn't fit and/or came with scratches from the factory). In that case you're being the first registred owner and getting all the benefits for a small discount.
If that is being sold as 2nd bike, I'd consider private sale, i.e. cash/pp friends payment and no taxes on top of bigger discount. Depending on your state "no taxes" can easily save you $1k.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

MysticRiver

by MysticRiver

Just recieved a barstem and had a similar issue though doesn't appear as bad.
Attachments
IMG_3753.jpeg
IMG_3756.jpeg

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

If you're buying cheap Chinese you can kind of forgive them that.
But if you're paying 400 Euros plus from a prime manufacturer, then that is not really acceptable.

KAoslo

by KAoslo

Hi all,

Im in the process of ordering a Factor Ostro Vam frameset and have a couple of questions.

1. im 176 cm and 84 cm inseam. I ride a 53 Bianchi Oltre XR4 today with a 110 stem. Factor reccomends a size 52 with a 120 mm stem. Any here with similar measurements like me that rides 52? I guess im in the middle of 52/54, but I like my bikes to be agressive.

2. Im looking at bar/stem combo, not the integrated. Want a -12 stem, and like the Extralite Hyperstem or the Zipp Service Course SL stem, in combo with the either Black Inc Aero bar or 3T Aeroflux. Question is if I can fit the brake cables through these stems? Anyone who knows?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Cheers from Oslo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

engsohere

by engsohere

Rkreddevil wrote:Hi,

I'm planning to buy Ostro Frameset, does the frameset come with t47 bb for either Shimano 24 or Sram dub. Does the frame have standard t47 bb? Is anyone running rotor carbon cranks with 30mm spindle. If yes, which bottom bracket are you using?
As others have mentioned, it comes with 29mm and 24mm reducers. If anyone's thinking about using GXP go with these ones by Prime. They're made of aluminum, not plastic resin and there's a rubber gasket and seal.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk