Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

g32ecs

by g32ecs

treyxt wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:13 pm
Geraint wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:44 pm
treyxt wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:45 pm
I wonder if they'll sell me the UDi2 build without the crankset lol
I'm sure they would. I asked them a similar question last autumn when I was considering an Ostro, I wanted an Ultegra Di2 build with a Rotor inPower crankset (or no crankset to use my existing parts) and they were happy to give me a quote for a few different options. Just fill in the quote form on the website and don't be afraid to ask for what you'd ideally like - they will try to help you, if they can't then they'll just say no.

It was apparent that the more you buy, the better the value of the package you get, so that's worth bearing in mind.
They said no for the crankset bit. But I just got another response saying they'll cover shipping duties and taxes if I purchase before the end of this week... They're really trying to get rid of these things. Makes me think I should wait..
Where are you from? That's an excellent deal. That wouldve been an arm and a leg where Im from

13% for the bike
Another 13% for sales taxes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ericlambi

by ericlambi

Curious if anyone is using a bar other than the Black Inc with their Ostro? Mine is a cm longer than I want, and I wouldn't mind something with a bigger aero profile. In particular I'd like to switch to the ENVE aero handlebar, but the matching stem doesn't have the right cable management (no rear exit of the cables). Any other stems that would work and not be an aesthetic disaster?

sigma

by sigma

ericlambi wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:36 pm
Curious if anyone is using a bar other than the Black Inc with their Ostro? Mine is a cm longer than I want, and I wouldn't mind something with a bigger aero profile. In particular I'd like to switch to the ENVE aero handlebar, but the matching stem doesn't have the right cable management (no rear exit of the cables). Any other stems that would work and not be an aesthetic disaster?
Interesting you say this as I like the black inc bar for climbing but the Otis bar on the One would appear to be a more conformist aero bar.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

ichobi

by ichobi

Does anybody knows if the Ostro has ever been tested by Tour Magazine? I am willing to buy to read the test, if you could point me to the issue (if it's ever been published or tested by Tour).

Scott2017

by Scott2017

Nope, not yet in Tour, or anywhere for that matter. Tour's annual wind tunnel bike roundup looks like it might be coming in the next issue, it's possible it will be included there. I am waiting for a Tour test of this bike before buying, thought it would have come by now...

Scott2017

by Scott2017

Update: Not in the new issue, either. Not sure why Factor seems to be so averse to having their flagship bike get tested.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Scott2017 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:01 am
Update: Not in the new issue, either. Not sure why Factor seems to be so averse to having their flagship bike get tested.

Honestly don't buy an aero bike based off a couple of watts in a specific protocol. Tour's test only uses a half-mannequin and I assume you're more than a butt and a pair of legs.

Stuff that's more important to me, for example:

1) How close is the geometry to perfect for me?
2) Can I get a discount?
3) Paint
4) Paint
5) Peripheral features
10) Tunnel test numbers.

mgrl

by mgrl

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:32 am
I assume you're more than a butt and a pair of legs.
Au contrair

Lina

by Lina

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:32 am
Scott2017 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:01 am

Honestly don't buy an aero bike based off a couple of watts in a specific protocol. Tour's test only uses a half-mannequin and I assume you're more than a butt and a pair of legs.

Stuff that's more important to me, for example:

1) How close is the geometry to perfect for me?
2) Can I get a discount?
3) Paint
4) Paint
5) Peripheral features
10) Tunnel test numbers.
Hell a bike that tests "slow" in the tunnel will still be faster in the real world against a bike that's considerably faster in the tunnel if the slower bike can take narrower bars while the "faster" is stuck with some proprietary wide cockpit. Provided you take advantage of the ability to use those narrower bars.

Scott2017

by Scott2017

If I'm paying top dollar for a bike, I want to know it's a top performer.

Tour tests aren't perfect but they're the closest I've found to an objective way to compare bikes.

Yes there are a lot of ways to get more aero, and I've done all of them. Now I want a bike that's top of the heap from the get-go, I can tweak it from there.

I agree paint is important but that can be changed, and I'd like to know I'm getting more than a pretty face.

Mike1

by Mike1

So I ordered my Factor Ostro VAM frame last week.
Size 56 flicker.
I've had my DA 9200 groupset on order since the preorders opened here in Aus. Still scheduled to ship on the 19th of November.
Had a bunch of parts sitting here waiting for a new bike build for a while now, was waiting for the Aeroad CFR frames to release again but then I found the Ostro. It has my all time favourite paint job (raw gloss carbon) and should be lighter in pretty much every aspect compared to the Aeroad.

Here's my build list, I think I've listed everything here. All weights are either weighed by me or someone else, not claimed.

Frame - Factor Ostro VAM 56cm - 860g
Fork - Factor Ostro VAM - 415g
Thru axle F - Factor - 25g
Thru axle R - Factor - 32g
Bottle cage bolts - Factor - 4g
Fr D Mount w/bolts - Factor - 14g
Rr D Hanger w/bolt - Factor - 22g

Headset - Ceramic Speed - 51g
Top Cap w/bolt - Factor - 10g
Spacer - Factor - 20g
Cockpit - Black inc 100/400 - 305g
Bartape - Most Superlight - 50g

Seatpost - Factor - 184g
Seatpost clamp - Factor - 20g
Battery holder - Factor - 8g
Saddle - Berk Lupina Padded 150 - 95g
Battery - 53g
Di2 wires - 15g

Rr Derailleur - DA9200 - 218g
Fr Derailleur - DA9200 - 95g
Chain - DA 12 spd - 230g
Shifters - DA9270 - 365g
Fr Caliper w/hose + adapter + bolts - DA9270 - 125g
Rr Caliper w/hose + bolts - DA9270 - 135g
Hose liner - Factor - 30g
Cranks - Easton EC90sl Power2Max Carbon Ti 170mm 52/36 - 643g
BB - CeramicSpeed T47a - 100g

Fr Wheel - Farsports Feder RD230 45mm - 556g
Rr Wheel - Farsports Feder RD230 55mm - 709g
Fr Tyre - Veloflex Corsa EVO 25 - 243g
Rr Tyre - Veloflex Corsa EVO 28 - 256g
Cassette - DA9200 11-30 - 225g
Fr Rotor - 160 Galfer - 97g
Rr Rotor - 140 Galfer - 77g
Lock rings - Shimano - 16g
Tubeless valves - 9g
Sealant - Orangeseal - 70g

Arundel Cages - 53g
Pedals - Speedplay Ti - 145g
Garmin Mount - CCACHE combo + bolts - 42g

Total estimated
6622g
6382g without pedals, cages, mount
Factor Ostro VAM - 6.67kg
Open U.P w/ Ekar - 7.2kg
Canyon Ultimate EVO Disc - 6.17kg (retired)

ericlambi

by ericlambi

Lina wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:25 pm
Hell a bike that tests "slow" in the tunnel will still be faster in the real world against a bike that's considerably faster in the tunnel if the slower bike can take narrower bars while the "faster" is stuck with some proprietary wide cockpit. Provided you take advantage of the ability to use those narrower bars.
I was just lamenting today how difficult it is to find/buy a 36cm aero top bar . . . which I agree, probably does make a bigger difference than a fancy aero frame. I've been looking for one that will work with my Ostro as I would like a shorter stem and need to make a change anyway. Tried FarSports, I guess they stopped making the 36.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

ericlambi wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:16 pm
I was just lamenting today how difficult it is to find/buy a 36cm aero top bar . . . which I agree, probably does make a bigger difference than a fancy aero frame. I've been looking for one that will work with my Ostro as I would like a shorter stem and need to make a change anyway. Tried FarSports, I guess they stopped making the 36.
Get a bar that has an exit port at the clamp interface, and then you can use it with almost any stem to keep it all integrated.

Vision Metron 5D Supercompact comes in 360mm x 80mm

Also, looking at Vision's sizing pdf, it looks nominal width is in the drops. The "380mm" bars are listed as 368mm c-c on the hoods. This includes the Trimax Carbon Aero which has a cable exit inside the stem clamp.

ericlambi

by ericlambi

BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:24 am
ericlambi wrote:
Get a bar that has an exit port at the clamp interface, and then you can use it with almost any stem to keep it all integrated.

Vision Metron 5D Supercompact comes in 360mm x 80mm

Also, looking at Vision's sizing pdf, it looks nominal width is in the drops. The "380mm" bars are listed as 368mm c-c on the hoods. This includes the Trimax Carbon Aero which has a cable exit inside the stem clamp.
These are good suggestions, thank you. Do you think the Metron 5D would work with the Ostro? The version of the bar that is available in smaller sizes isn't labeled 'ACR' (which is their acronym for bars/stems designed for full internal cable routing). They are shown as different products on starbike.com, for example.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomato

by tomato

ericlambi wrote:
Blackinc makes their non-integrated bar in 36cm.