Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

StiffWeenies wrote:How do Ostro owners rate the handling of this bike?

I was pouring over the geometry of a couple bikes and the Factor stood out to me with its very short wheelbase

Ostro VAM, Size 52: 968mm
Dogma F12, Size 500: 970mm (calculated figure)
Time Scylon, Size S: 973mm
Cervelo R5, Size 51: 974mm
SL7, Size 52, 975mm
Seka Exceed, Size S: 975mm
TCR, Size S: 977mm
Langma, Size S: 977.2mm
Aurum Magma, Size 51: 980mm
Teammachine, Size 51: 986mm
Anchor RP9, Size 510: 986mm
Scultura, Size S: 989mm
SystemSix, Size 51: 989mm
Addict RC, Size S: 991mm

It's no last gen Allez Sprint Rim (Size 52: 961mm) but of all comparable carbon race bikes, it is the Factor that seems to have the liveliest handling characteristics
Rock solid and stable. Not particularly twitchy compared to the likes of sl7, addict rc i had before, but with more comfort at least compared to the sl7 = enjoy descending with the Ostro very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bora76

by bora76

Hello everyone and please give me some advice. This is the size I measure 187 cm, inner boss 88 cm. I'm more of a hobby rider, no racing. I am mainly concerned with comfort. Which size to choose Sharp factor. I currently ride a Wilier cento 1sr XL.
Thanks for the advice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bora76

by bora76

Hello everyone and please give me some advice. This is the size I measure 187 cm, inner boss 88 cm. I'm more of a hobby rider, no racing. I am mainly concerned with comfort. Which size to choose Sharp factor. I currently ride a Wilier cento 1sr XL. I am attaching a table.
Thanks for the advice

moock

by moock

I would go for size 56.

jude188

by jude188

bora76 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:22 am
Hello everyone and please give me some advice. This is the size I measure 187 cm, inner boss 88 cm. I'm more of a hobby rider, no racing. I am mainly concerned with comfort. Which size to choose Sharp factor. I currently ride a Wilier cento 1sr XL. I am attaching a table.
Thanks for the advice
If you're in it for comfort I imagine the 56's stack might be too low for you. Any idea what the Handlebar Y position is relative to the bottom bracket is on your current bike? What's the height of spacers on your Wilier right now?

bora76

by bora76

Height (cm): 187
Torso Height (cm): 154,5
Inseam (cm): 88
Shoulder Width (cm): 38
Left Shoulder Height (cm): 157
Right Shoulder Height (cm): 156,5
Current Bike Make: Wilier cento 1sr
Current Bike Size: XL
Current Bike Stem Length: 110
Total Spacers: 28
Current saddle height: 82cm
Shoe Size (EU): 47

jude188

by jude188

bora76 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:10 pm
So according to my calculations based on your frame's Stack, Reach, and Head Tube Angle plus the height of spacers you've got and an assumed -7 degree stem angle your Handlebar X position is 484mm and Handlebar Y position is 646mm.

The Ostro in a size 56 with the Black Inc integrated handlebar and stem in a 110mm stem length and 22mm of spacers should end up with Handlebar X = 482mm and Handlebar Y = 646mm.

So in conclusion: to replicate your current fit you need a size 56 with 110mm stem and 22m of spacers (to the best of my knowledge). So @moock was right!

tmanley

by tmanley

What's the widest tire anyone has tried with this frame?

-Thanks, Todd

moock

by moock

jude188 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:07 pm
bora76 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:10 pm
So according to my calculations based on your frame's Stack, Reach, and Head Tube Angle plus the height of spacers you've got and an assumed -7 degree stem angle your Handlebar X position is 484mm and Handlebar Y position is 646mm.

The Ostro in a size 56 with the Black Inc integrated handlebar and stem in a 110mm stem length and 22mm of spacers should end up with Handlebar X = 482mm and Handlebar Y = 646mm.

So in conclusion: to replicate your current fit you need a size 56 with 110mm stem and 22m of spacers (to the best of my knowledge). So @moock was right!

you can also (depends which pedals you are using) upgrade these. You can increase your stack height by a few mm if you buy pedals with very low stack height.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

On my advice a friend who bought an O2 VAM less than a year ago, is now swapping to an Ostro. He loves to push hard on the flats, which made his original choice of an O2 seem a bit odd.

It leaves me wondering what % of sales Factor now has for the 3 main models; ONE, O2 and Ostro. Logic dictates that the Ostro should be taking a good 80% of these sales.

I think you need to be a totally committed climber to go for the O2, and a fast and flat kinda guy for the One. The Ostro is so versatile it just does everything so well, that IMO it is THE bike for the vast majority of riders.

moock

by moock

cyclespeed wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:19 am
On my advice a friend who bought an O2 VAM less than a year ago, is now swapping to an Ostro. He loves to push hard on the flats, which made his original choice of an O2 seem a bit odd.

It leaves me wondering what % of sales Factor now has for the 3 main models; ONE, O2 and Ostro. Logic dictates that the Ostro should be taking a good 80% of these sales.

I think you need to be a totally committed climber to go for the O2, and a fast and flat kinda guy for the One. The Ostro is so versatile it just does everything so well, that IMO it is THE bike for the vast majority of riders.
I disagree with that. I am sure the O2 and LS are their number one sales. Both frames are half the prize of the ostro.
Second, If the O2 and Ostro have (idk) the same stiffness, the lighter bike always feel snappier, because of better acceleration l.
Third, most people ride average 25kmh on longer rides, so aero doesn't matter for the average guy.

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I have no data on the ratio of sales for the three Factor models, but I think that for those who can only have one bike, the Ostro has the biggest appeal. I look around at my friends in the two cycling clubs I belong to, and nearly everyone has just one bike. In the past two years, all the new Factors I have seen on the road have been Ostros. My prediction would be that the ONE will be the first to be dropped from the line-up....
Factor Ostro

Frimez

by Frimez

fruitfly wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:28 pm
the metal parts that hold the saddle rail and insert into the seatpost do tend to slip and then get stuck. Take off the outer metal bit and use a thin wedge (small screwdriver) to pry the metal bit out of the seatpost. Saddle angle can then be adjusted easily. I put carbon friction paste on them, but they sooner or later they always slip, and I have to do this again.
I think i might have the same problem as the inner metal clamps are pointing downwards (which makes the saddle tilt way too much down). Are the 2 metal parts simply glued to the seatpost? To solve this, should I first remove them from the seatpost and stick them back on? Or have I misunderstood?

ODC

by ODC

What are the most common problems that this bike has? I have read about: creaking/ticking bottom brackets, headset problems, rear thru axle/drop out problems and saddle clamp problems.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

moock wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:54 am
cyclespeed wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:19 am

I disagree with that. I am sure the O2 and LS are their number one sales. Both frames are half the prize of the ostro.
Second, If the O2 and Ostro have (idk) the same stiffness, the lighter bike always feel snappier, because of better acceleration l.
Third, most people ride average 25kmh on longer rides, so aero doesn't matter for the average guy.
If you compare like for like, the O2 VAM is a very similar price to the Ostro VAM. LS (Gravel) is still niche. I am pretty sure that the Ostro outsells the O2 VAM comfortably.
If you think you can feel the better acceleration of 150 grams then you are a much more sensitive rider than me. The average rider plus bike and water, etc. is 80kg. 150g is 0.187% lighter.
So for example, using F=ma, and plugging in 200N of force, for 80kg you have acceleration of 2.5 m/s2. For 79.85kg you have 2.5047 m/s2
So if accelerating from 15kmh to 25kmh, this will take
V=Vo + a * t
6.94 = 4.16 + 2.5 * t
Which is 1.112 seconds.
The 150g lighter bike will take 1.1099 seconds.
Can you feel 0.0021 seconds? I doubt it.

A decent club rider would mostly be doing 30kmh+ on rides, and in races 40kmh, so aero is very much a benefit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com