Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

raven14

by raven14

ODC wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:59 am
What are the most common problems that this bike has? I have read about: creaking/ticking bottom brackets, headset problems, rear thru axle/drop out problems and saddle clamp problems.
This is more or less what I have been reading as well. I can say that after around 5k km on the Ostro, I have none of these issues.

Maddie

by Maddie

The number one selling argument is still looks including color and not performance or whatever you want to call it. In Switzerland, the Ostro is a very rare sight. The classic O2 a bit more, the One I think I've never seen.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

raven14 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:40 am
ODC wrote:
What are the most common problems that this bike has? I have read about: creaking/ticking bottom brackets, headset problems, rear thru axle/drop out problems and saddle clamp problems.
This is more or less what I have been reading as well. I can say that after around 5k km on the Ostro, I have none of these issues.
To address these issues more specifically, my understanding is that:

Bottom bracket issues, while common with the Factor frames that use press fit, the T47 Ostro has been good. Somebody did report a bad bottom bracket but the frame itself was fine IIRC.

Headset problems date to the a poor original fork steerer/preload clamp design which has been rectified in the latest frames. The fact that there seems to have been a few iterations along the development path to the current form is not particularely confidence inspiring. Bottom line though is latest bikes seem to be fine.

The rear dropout issue seems to be restricted to a certain batch of frames. These should have been recalled.

The saddle clamp issue is the result of the seat tube hole being too large (or the post being too small). This would allow the seatpost to move even when the clamp was adequately torqued. For any seatpost, particularely those held by a wedge clamp, the post and frame fit must be snug or there will be problems. Factors solution to overtorque the clamp is not the best approach IMO. Better if Factor would build up the post or frame. Many easy home fixes for those with the issue. Israel team is using aftermarket seatposts. Perhaps for weight savings but...

I invite others to add info and correct my recollections where necessary.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ichobi

by ichobi

Aside from the first iteration of forks/ steerer i have none of the issue mentioned after almost 2 years of heavy use. Seatpost never slip. Bb is perfect. I have a very capable mechanic building, stripping, cleaning my ostro and i regularly prod him if he see any troubling signs in regards to the frame quality. He said not really better or worse than any other top tier brands. This include 20+ ostro he has built as his shop is a Factor dealer. Anecdotal, but my experience has been great. Factor sent me a new fork within days of inquiring straight to my door. So far quite happy.

kode54

by kode54

cyclespeed wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:13 pm
mathias720 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:49 am
i just got my frameset and waiting to build it up(waiting for handlebar in other size) i was wondering what small upgrades you guys made to your bike.
both for aero, and weight bennefit.
i am talking chaining the bolts to titanium, darimo seatpost, 140/140 rotos, other lighter garminwahoo mount(i am working with magcad on a new one for wahoo)
anything else you guys changed that aint obvious or any other factor ostro vam only parts that i didnt find(like the darimon seatpost)
Don't go 140 front disc.
I tried it, and there simply isn't enough power and I only weigh 65kgs.
Even the 160 is lacking IMO.
I do like to descend hard and fast, but still, the DA DM 9100 rim brakes on my Sworks were far better.

Otherwise, Darimo seatpost, tuned Garmin mount, chop down the drops on the bars (too long), it's all on my Youtube channel!!
I chopped 1-1/4" off my bar ends. Out of the saddle, my knees hit the stock ends...so I decided to chop off a bit. Perfect now.
Plus, new replacement Garmin mount with adjustable angle, v10 is nice...I have GoPro adapter mount on one of the dual mounting points. Now, the Garmin isn't pointing downwards.

https://factorbikes.com/products/black- ... -mount-v3/
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

raven14 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:40 am
ODC wrote:
I faced off my BB area and made it flat. Using a Hambini T47A BB with no issues whatsoever.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

kode54 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:35 pm
cyclespeed wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:13 pm
mathias720 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:49 am
i just got my frameset and waiting to build it up(waiting for handlebar in other size) i was wondering what small upgrades you guys made to your bike.
both for aero, and weight bennefit.
i am talking chaining the bolts to titanium, darimo seatpost, 140/140 rotos, other lighter garminwahoo mount(i am working with magcad on a new one for wahoo)
anything else you guys changed that aint obvious or any other factor ostro vam only parts that i didnt find(like the darimon seatpost)
Don't go 140 front disc.
I tried it, and there simply isn't enough power and I only weigh 65kgs.
Even the 160 is lacking IMO.
I do like to descend hard and fast, but still, the DA DM 9100 rim brakes on my Sworks were far better.

Otherwise, Darimo seatpost, tuned Garmin mount, chop down the drops on the bars (too long), it's all on my Youtube channel!!
I chopped 1-1/4" off my bar ends. Out of the saddle, my knees hit the stock ends...so I decided to chop off a bit. Perfect now.
Plus, new replacement Garmin mount with adjustable angle, v10 is nice...I have GoPro adapter mount on one of the dual mounting points. Now, the Garmin isn't pointing downwards.

https://factorbikes.com/products/black- ... -mount-v3/
Yeah, I chopped the ends off of my Black inc handlebar too. Much too long, and I never used that part. Perfect now.

shinkaiyui

by shinkaiyui

bora76 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:10 pm
Height (cm): 187
Torso Height (cm): 154,5
Inseam (cm): 88
Shoulder Width (cm): 38
Left Shoulder Height (cm): 157
Right Shoulder Height (cm): 156,5
Current Bike Make: Wilier cento 1sr
Current Bike Size: XL
Current Bike Stem Length: 110
Total Spacers: 28
Current saddle height: 82cm
Shoe Size (EU): 47
With this information you can let Factor do the calculation for you. They have their own formula and would advice you

jude188

by jude188

shinkaiyui wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:04 am
bora76 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:10 pm
Height (cm): 187
Torso Height (cm): 154,5
Inseam (cm): 88
Shoulder Width (cm): 38
Left Shoulder Height (cm): 157
Right Shoulder Height (cm): 156,5
Current Bike Make: Wilier cento 1sr
Current Bike Size: XL
Current Bike Stem Length: 110
Total Spacers: 28
Current saddle height: 82cm
Shoe Size (EU): 47
With this information you can let Factor do the calculation for you. They have their own formula and would advice you
I wouldn't trust the UK distributer (Vires Velo) to get it right! I gave them my Handlebar X and Y measurments from a recent bike fit and their logic was that the stem length was equal to the Handlebar X dimension minus the frame's reach measurement. Which is clearly not how it works given the angles and geometry involved. It led to them reccomending me a 90mm stem when in reality when you actually do all the geometry I'd need 110mm stem. Not a small error especially when the handlebar and stem combo is listed for £550! This fella was apparently a bike fitter too!

moock

by moock

cyclespeed wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:36 am
moock wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:54 am
cyclespeed wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:19 am
On my advice a friend who bought an O2 VAM less than a year ago, is now swapping to an Ostro. He loves to push hard on the flats, which made his original choice of an O2 seem a bit odd.

It leaves me wondering what % of sales Factor now has for the 3 main models; ONE, O2 and Ostro. Logic dictates that the Ostro should be taking a good 80% of these sales.

I think you need to be a totally committed climber to go for the O2, and a fast and flat kinda guy for the One. The Ostro is so versatile it just does everything so well, that IMO it is THE bike for the vast majority of riders.
I disagree with that. I am sure the O2 and LS are their number one sales. Both frames are half the prize of the ostro.
Second, If the O2 and Ostro have (idk) the same stiffness, the lighter bike always feel snappier, because of better acceleration l.
Third, most people ride average 25kmh on longer rides, so aero doesn't matter for the average guy.
If you compare like for like, the O2 VAM is a very similar price to the Ostro VAM. LS (Gravel) is still niche. I am pretty sure that the Ostro outsells the O2 VAM comfortably.
If you think you can feel the better acceleration of 150 grams then you are a much more sensitive rider than me. The average rider plus bike and water, etc. is 80kg. 150g is 0.187% lighter.
So for example, using F=ma, and plugging in 200N of force, for 80kg you have acceleration of 2.5 m/s2. For 79.85kg you have 2.5047 m/s2
So if accelerating from 15kmh to 25kmh, this will take
V=Vo + a * t
6.94 = 4.16 + 2.5 * t
Which is 1.112 seconds.
The 150g lighter bike will take 1.1099 seconds.
Can you feel 0.0021 seconds? I doubt it.

A decent club rider would mostly be doing 30kmh+ on rides, and in races 40kmh, so aero is very much a benefit.
Hi,

i was speaking about the normal O2.
I dont think that the average cyclist is the average club rider you were speaking about :)

csteenbe

by csteenbe

Did anyone remove the decal(s) from the Black Inc handlebar ?

Femboy

by Femboy

Bellow mediocre build quality
Just get a Cannondale aero bike if you wanna go fast
Also winspace n shiz

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Femboy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:36 pm
Bellow mediocre build quality
Just get a Cannondale aero bike if you wanna go fast
Also winspace n shiz
If you accuse Factor of below mediocre quality (instead of even "mediocre" = equal to many others),
1) provide some proof to your words, what's so bad there
2) at least do not mention Cannondale as a substitute, as it definitely has its fair share of known problems :D :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

kode54

by kode54

Agreed. I have had no issues with my Ostro. Quality is up there.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Lookryder

by Lookryder

kode54 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:29 pm
Agreed. I have had no issues with my Ostro. Quality is up there.
No build quality issues with mine either. I’m curious how your Ostro compares to your Aethos? That was the other bike I was considering when I bought my Ostro this spring, but they are everywhere in my neck of the woods.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com