Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ArtV

by ArtV

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:19 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:12 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:23 pm
Hm, it seems Ostro isn't much lighter than Dogma F?
I wonder if it's possible to get same deal for a Dogma F as a new Ostro frameset!?
If i could, i would easily go for Dogma.
Seriously. Some of the weights mentioned seem equal or heavier to the Venge
I don't think so, honestly! New Dogma F isn't that heavy according to what i have read. A 55 size is equal to a 56 size Ostro. The 56 size Dogma F is larger.
The fork seems lighter!
https://ccache.cc/blogs/newsroom/pinare ... mpressions
I am sure the Dogma F is a wonderful bike but it's looks aren't for everyone. That fork.......

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ArtV wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:26 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
I wonder if it's possible to get same deal for a Dogma F as a new Ostro frameset!?
I don't think so, honestly! New Dogma F isn't that heavy according to what i have read. A 55 size is equal to a 56 size Ostro. The 56 size Dogma F is larger.
The fork seems lighter!
I am sure the Dogma F is a wonderful bike but it's looks aren't for everyone. That fork.......
I think that is what Pinarello aims at, to stick out. It's pretty smart these days when most bikes looks very similar.
It's kind of a signum, Pinarellos weird shapes. I really like the new dark green and dark blue colors (2023)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MysticRiver

by MysticRiver

ichobi wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:23 am

Howevver, i'd still argue if you compared to other aero road bike, Ostro VAM is still one of the lightest to build up and tune. With similar paint, it's pretty much weights the same - frames and forks as the SL7 when hardwares and cockpits are included. I'd venture to say will definitely be lighter than the Dogma F, and A LOT cheaper given the fact that you have to buy the MOST Talon one piece bar stem separately, as well as the BB - all of which supplied with the Ostro frameset.
I've actually been thinking / wondering about this a lot lately. Aero bikes in general are heavier than they could be, but I'm surprised so many people talk about their Ostro as super lightweight or that they can easily get down to 6.8kgs.

My bike is 7.1 (as they are weighed per UCI regs, with pedals, cages, computer mount) and I think I have a relatively light setup. I probably could get to 6.8 with super lightweight wheels, crank, and saddle, but that would be pushing the limits and by no means what would be "reasonable."

Bike:
- 56, Chrome/Gloss
- Zipp 303s
- GP 5000 S TR 28mm
- 9200 with 11-30 & 53/36, 4iii PM
- S-Works Romin Evo
- Arundel Cages
- Darimo Seatpost
- DA 9000 pedals
Attachments
IMG_4596 copy.jpg

Hexsense

by Hexsense

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:07 pm
I think that is what Pinarello aims at, to stick out. It's pretty smart these days when most bikes looks very similar.
It's kind of a signum, Pinarellos weird shapes. I really like the new dark green and dark blue colors (2023)
It's their marketing trick.
1) Curvy tubes claims to do aero and ride quality magic tricks.
2) Asymetric tubes (down tube is offset to the left).
3) ITA bb.
4) Fork fairing at axle, water bottle fairing shape.
5) T1100 (why use expensive carbon, if it's still going to be heavy because of curvy tubes)
6) They also used to claim their bike tubes are pre-tentioned for particular ride quality.

They throw all these on the bike hoping any one of these specs will hit the rider's heart. And they'll want Pinarello at whatever price over other bikes.

seventyseven

by seventyseven

MysticRiver wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:33 pm
ichobi wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:23 am

Howevver, i'd still argue if you compared to other aero road bike, Ostro VAM is still one of the lightest to build up and tune. With similar paint, it's pretty much weights the same - frames and forks as the SL7 when hardwares and cockpits are included. I'd venture to say will definitely be lighter than the Dogma F, and A LOT cheaper given the fact that you have to buy the MOST Talon one piece bar stem separately, as well as the BB - all of which supplied with the Ostro frameset.
I've actually been thinking / wondering about this a lot lately. Aero bikes in general are heavier than they could be, but I'm surprised so many people talk about their Ostro as super lightweight or that they can easily get down to 6.8kgs.

My bike is 7.1 (as they are weighed per UCI regs, with pedals, cages, computer mount) and I think I have a relatively light setup. I probably could get to 6.8 with super lightweight wheels, crank, and saddle, but that would be pushing the limits and by no means what would be "reasonable."

Bike:
- 56, Chrome/Gloss
- Zipp 303s
- GP 5000 S TR 28mm
- 9200 with 11-30 & 53/36, 4iii PM
- S-Works Romin Evo
- Arundel Cages
- Darimo Seatpost
- DA 9000 pedals
My takeaway from all this is, especially after seeing your bike (nice build!): paint is really heavy and aero bikes have more surface area to paint. Want to go really light? Smaller tubes and less paint.

As someone waiting on an Oceanic Edition Ostro, I already know and have accepted it's going to be porky.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:43 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:07 pm
It's their marketing trick.
1) Curvy tubes claims to do aero and ride quality magic tricks.
2) Asymetric tubes (down tube is offset to the left).
3) ITA bb.
4) Fork fairing at axle, water bottle fairing shape.
5) T1100 (why use expensive carbon, if it's still going to be heavy because of curvy tubes)
6) They also used to claim their bike tubes are pre-tentioned for particular ride quality.

They throw all these on the bike hoping any one of these specs will hit the rider's heart. And they'll want Pinarello at whatever price over other bikes.
You can bet that T1100 is used on strategical places and not all over. If it was, the frame would crack very easily.
Tube shape will ofcourse do something, a boxed shape like UP and Ax Vial is used to minimise torsional flexion. It's also used in several bike stems and ofcourse other brands and models of frames. All that say shape matters not (in this case carbon), should turn mouth to a designer working with this on a professional level.
All can think what they want of a Pinarello, it might be deemed a freak, but never the less, it will stick out in a room or in the open.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

ichobi wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:49 am
Ostro fork is pretty much a tt bike fork - shape wise. They are really chunky. But agreed could drop a few dozen grams there. Anyhow i think this still makes a decently weighted aero bike. The black inc cockpit does help since it’s one of the lightest integrated bar stem on the market. Pretty comfortable too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And the fork has a VERY wide stance. Looking down at it while riding, it's noticeably different. That probably adds some weight too...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

On the subject of weight - 7.01 kg as shown without bartape.
Size 56,
120/42 barstem
DA Di2,
Lightbicycle WR50
Vittoria Corsa 2.0 30mm rear, 28mm front
Schwalbe Aerothan inner tubes
Ultegra cassette
SQ Lab saddle (275 grams)

Very happy with the final weight - expected it to be heavier. Would be easy to get to 6.8 kg with the most minor changes

Quick ugly photo before bar tape
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ichobi

by ichobi

Wow congrats! Not bad at all for that size and that weight! Reckon could drop a hundred or more with lighter cassette and saddle and such - only if its your priority. Mine is around 7-7.1 depends on which wheels i got them on and i think it rides light enough for most of my use case. I can go below 7 but i dont want to compromise the saddle and smaller rotor size.

Re: Venge and Tarmac - both of their respective stems are quite heavy but really decently stiff. Stiffer than the blackinc bar stem one piece but i find my black inc good enough and it’s lighter than tarmac/venge stem+ cockpit unless you spec ww handlebar. Granted you can use whatever stem on the specialized too (with different routing cap) but that’s also extra money.

The thing with Factor bike is that they bundle you all you need and you can choose the size of your stem/ bar and seatpost offset or not. I find this really valuable for assembling a new bike. But if you have the parts ready then these factors might not appeal all that much. When i built my Tarmac and previously Venge I have to wait forever to get the right length stem and seat-post offset. It left quite a sour taste.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Would love to use a lighter saddle, but far too many kms in my ass to tolerate anything light and firm these days. Dura Ace cassette is an option, but I still hear about people getting noise from them, so i'm hesitant.

The barstem might be really good for me. I don't like rock solid bars. I think a bar can contribute a lot to comfort if it's well designed without giving up much during hard sprints.

The Factor Ostro package is certainly well done, though at the price charged, only a rather select segment of the market will see it as good value.

First ride tomorrow.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

wheelsONfire wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
The fork seems lighter!
I meant the Ostro is heavier than initially indicated. Heavier than Venge and possibly Dogma F, for complete frameset.

There are comments above saying an Ostro with a few exotic parts "could" get down to 6.9kg. My 58cm Venge is 6.9kg with nothing exotic on it, 1530g wheels, and Ultregra levers/derailleurs. So I'm surprised by these Ostro weights, given that is was the selling point over other aero bikes.

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:45 am
On the subject of weight - 7.01 kg as shown without bartape.
Size 56,
120/42 barstem
DA Di2,
Lightbicycle WR50
Vittoria Corsa 2.0 30mm rear, 28mm front
Schwalbe Aerothan inner tubes
Ultegra cassette
SQ Lab saddle (275 grams)

Very happy with the final weight - expected it to be heavier. Would be easy to get to 6.8 kg with the most minor changes

Quick ugly photo before bar tape
Sharp looking bike!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:04 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
The fork seems lighter!
I meant the Ostro is heavier than initially indicated. Heavier than Venge and possibly Dogma F, for complete frameset.

There are comments above saying an Ostro with a few exotic parts "could" get down to 6.9kg. My 58cm Venge is 6.9kg with nothing exotic on it, 1530g wheels, and Ultregra levers/derailleurs. So I'm surprised by these Ostro weights, given that is was the selling point over other aero bikes.
Aha, i missunderstood! Well, yes, i think we're actually thinking same same so to speak!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:04 am

No mystery in the comparison between the weight of the Venge and Ostro. The Venge frame is 960g (as claimed by specialized) which would put it at the higher end for most Ostro's. The difference is in the Venge fork which is probably in the ballpark of 50 grams lighter than the Ostro. Between framesets it's pretty much a wash so it comes down to a battle of components. Your 6.9kg is an excellent number with the parts mentioned. Got a photo on a scale?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:25 pm
The Venge frame is 960g (as claimed by specialized) which would put it at the higher end for most Ostro's. The difference is in the Venge fork which is probably in the ballpark of 50 grams lighter than the Ostro. Between framesets it's pretty much a wash so it comes down to a battle of components. Your 6.9kg is an excellent number with the parts mentioned. Got a photo on a scale?
I borrowed the 10,000g scale from work, and didn't take a picture. But it matches the sum of measured component weights that I weighed individually on a calibrated 1,000g scale (attached list).
Attachments
SmartSelect_20220604-131314_OneDrive.jpg