Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:35 pm
Can't wait to get on the Ostro. After a thorough shakedown I'll give my impressions here and compare it to the O2 and O2 VAM.
Actually created a dedicated thread in the Introduce Yourself/Gallery forum.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

My 52 Ostro is 6.25kg, not sure why so many seem to be over 7kg, it really isn't difficult to get below 7kg......

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I think the point here is that recently Ostro has become heavier, and actually by quite a chunk apparently.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:54 am
I think the point here is that recently Ostro has become heavier, and actually by quite a chunk apparently.
Possibly by 50g, but not 300g......

The paint adds about 150g it would seem, (compared to a naked Flickr)

handler

by handler

Do you have an build list? Could be very useful!
cyclespeed wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:09 am
My 52 Ostro is 6.25kg, not sure why so many seem to be over 7kg, it really isn't difficult to get below 7kg......

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

handler wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:47 am
cyclespeed wrote:
Basically;

DARIMO seat post
AX Lightness saddle
Rotor Aldhu Carbon crank
DECADENCE 48 and 58mm carbon tubs (so quite deep wheels)

The rest is all standard stuff, with DA 9200.

If I went really exotic I could go below 6kg.

handler

by handler

Thx, tubular wheels seems to be a telling factor for a such low weight. Harder with carbon clinchers.
cyclespeed wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:02 am
handler wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:
Basically;

DARIMO seat post
AX Lightness saddle
Rotor Aldhu Carbon crank

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

cyclespeed wrote:
handler wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:
Basically;

DARIMO seat post
AX Lightness saddle
Rotor Aldhu Carbon crank

And when did you get your frame delivered?

I have a 54 in British racing green bikes albeit with custom paint (went full green). Mine comes in around 7.5kg (about 300g heavier than I expected) with:

DA 11, albeit with ultegra cassette
BI 45
Fizik R1 saddle
GP5000 TRS
Lizard skin
Favero Assioma Duos
No cut steerer
Swissstop Catalys pro 160mm rotors

I calculate I can save 500g with the following changes:
DA Cassette
Roval Alpinist CLX II wheels
Galfer rotors
Darimo seatpost
Sells italia saddle (the one woods is riding)

Also curious, how much weight do you save by swapping to rotor aldhu crank arms? I assume you kept the DA chainrings?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:54 am
What we need is more data to see if and by how much weights are changing. It has been a bit of a moving target with the Ostro. Even with the weight gain the Ostro is still very much at the lighter end of the spectrum for aero frames. I was a bit disappointed I didn't get a chance to get mine on a scale - it was out of my hands. Would be nice to get some independant aero data on the Ostro as well.
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/07/we-foun ... ostro-vam/
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:48 pm
What we need is more data to see if and by how much weights are changing. It has been a bit of a moving target with the Ostro. Even with the weight gain the Ostro is still very much at the lighter end of the spectrum for aero frames. I was a bit disappointed I didn't get a chance to get mine on a scale - it was out of my hands. Would be nice to get some independant aero data on the Ostro as well.
Yes, of course, right now we have like a regression line with a couple of datapoints :D

From things seen around, I find cyclespeed's Ostro on the lightest side of them all.

I have an O2 VAM with the gen3 fork, and this bike is sitting slightly above to 6kg for me with 11speed DA, BUT with 1120g wheels, Red cassette, Gelu saddle/seatpost integrated combo which itself is only 135g altogether, and D1 Quarq - so no major weight gains anywhere left. The frame was 750g with hangers, the fork was 365g when cut. Gaining close to 300g on (deeper and wider) wheels, some 100g on seatpost/saddle, 100-200g on frameset, suggests 6.6-6.7kg for comparable light Ostros.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

ArtV

by ArtV

mrlobber wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
Yes, of course, right now we have like a regression line with a couple of datapoints :D

From things seen around, I find cyclespeed's Ostro on the lightest side of them all.

I have an O2 VAM with the gen3 fork, and this bike is sitting slightly above to 6kg for me with 11speed DA, BUT with 1120g wheels, Red cassette, Gelu saddle/seatpost integrated combo which itself is only 135g altogether, and D1 Quarq - so no major weight gains anywhere left. The frame was 750g with hangers, the fork was 365g when cut. Gaining close to 300g on (deeper and wider) wheels, some 100g on seatpost/saddle, 100-200g on frameset, suggests 6.6-6.7kg for comparable light Ostros.
Could you share a photo of your bike? I am really interested in the Gelu saddle/seatpost combo. How do you like it?

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

sigma

by sigma

ArtV wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:16 pm
mrlobber wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:

Could you share a photo of your bike? I am really interested in the Gelu saddle/seatpost combo. How do you like it?

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
I have the Gelu K3 (I think) on my Darimo post on my Vam 02. Initially I was not a fan though now I like it. I think the MCFK open saddle is also quite nice and a bit more comfortable to be honest. My Vam 02 is running MCFK 35 wheels (1200 g) with extralite hubs and the rest pretty standard DA 11 speed di2 with black inc bars. Comes in around 13lbs with titanium spindle speedplays.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

ArtV

by ArtV

Ah. I misunderstood and thought there was an Ostro with a Gelu combo post/saddle but see it is actually an O2.

I have the Darimo + an Alpitude Gardena saddle. I haven't decided if I am keeping the saddle or going back to a berk as I have only 1 ride on it.

Boshk

by Boshk

7.5kg ready to ride bike, inclusive of bottle cage, powermeter pedals, computer mount, only things missing that wasn't weigh was Wahoo computer and Rear light.
Size 52 Racing Green colour.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Conradsleight wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:59 pm
cyclespeed wrote:
handler wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:
Basically;

DARIMO seat post
AX Lightness saddle
Rotor Aldhu Carbon crank

And when did you get your frame delivered?

I have a 54 in British racing green bikes albeit with custom paint (went full green). Mine comes in around 7.5kg (about 300g heavier than I expected) with:

DA 11, albeit with ultegra cassette
BI 45
Fizik R1 saddle
GP5000 TRS
Lizard skin
Favero Assioma Duos
No cut steerer
Swissstop Catalys pro 160mm rotors

I calculate I can save 500g with the following changes:
DA Cassette
Roval Alpinist CLX II wheels
Galfer rotors
Darimo seatpost
Sells italia saddle (the one woods is riding)

Also curious, how much weight do you save by swapping to rotor aldhu crank arms? I assume you kept the DA chainrings?
My frame was 825g if I remember correctly, and a friend's was very similar.

The Rotor crank is significantly lighter than Dura Ace and it comes with the rings (1 piece).

If I went for a THM crank (-100g) some more exotic wheels (-200g) and Speedplay pedals (-100g), I would be around 5.9kg.