Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

mathias720 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:12 am
did anyone find a Direct mount hanger other than from factor them self? or did anyone find a supplier in europe having them in stock ?
will be crazy expensive with tax and shipping from US or HK. so hoping to find one in europe.
Wishbone?

Plgind

by Plgind

Hi, I'm using factor ostro size 52 right now.. Everything is good

This is my simple bike fitting data
Height 170cm
Height of breastbone 134.7cm
Arm length 55.9cm
Iseam 76.4

Will 49 is too small or the right choice for me? will i get better ride if i downsized to 49?
Last edited by Plgind on Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mathias720

by mathias720

StiffWeenies wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:35 pm
mathias720 wrote:
did anyone find a Direct mount hanger other than from factor them self? or did anyone find a supplier in europe having them in stock ?
will be crazy expensive with tax and shipping from US or HK. so hoping to find one in europe.
Wishbone?
Cant find anywhere to order it?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Fabvr6 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:08 pm
Hi fellow Ostro owners,

first post here, i received my size 54 after about 2 months, mechanic assembled it, took it out for a ride yesterday, and the seatpost got lose and slipped.
took out my tool, adjusted it back up and hand tighten it, but the seat wont stay in place after jumping back on the bike to ride. tried to tighten the bolt again, but the bolt just free spin after a certain depty. Had to call my wife to pick me up as i didnt want to damage the bolt.

called my bike mechanic over, we took the bolt out and also the clamp, just put the bolt in without the clamp, it will go all the way in. put the clamp back, but the bolt again will free spin at a certain depth and wont clamp the seatpost in place.

Anybody else have this issue? I weight 185lb , albeit on the heavier side, wasnt expecing this.

I heard from another source that Factor had change their seatpost clamp design this year, not sure if thats true or not.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fab
Simon Clarke seen tightening his seatpost clamp mid stage today in TdF. Is it that hard to make a post and clamp that holds securely? These companies have had years to perfect the hidden clamp. Embarrassing frankly.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:02 am
Fabvr6 wrote:
Hi fellow Ostro owners,

first post here, i received my size 54 after about 2 months, mechanic assembled it, took it out for a ride yesterday, and the seatpost got lose and slipped.
took out my tool, adjusted it back up and hand tighten it, but the seat wont stay in place after jumping back on the bike to ride. tried to tighten the bolt again, but the bolt just free spin after a certain depty. Had to call my wife to pick me up as i didnt want to damage the bolt.

called my bike mechanic over, we took the bolt out and also the clamp, just put the bolt in without the clamp, it will go all the way in. put the clamp back, but the bolt again will free spin at a certain depth and wont clamp the seatpost in place.

Anybody else have this issue? I weight 185lb , albeit on the heavier side, wasnt expecing this.

I heard from another source that Factor had change their seatpost clamp design this year, not sure if thats true or not.

Thanks

Fab
Simon Clarke seen tightening his seatpost clamp mid stage today in TdF. Is it that hard to make a post and clamp that holds securely? These companies have had years to perfect the hidden clamp. Embarrassing frankly.
I had the same problem when I picked mine up from the shop where I had it assembled. I torqued it down to 8nm per the recommendation and didn’t have any slippage on my last ride. But we’ll see how long it holds…I wonder if aftermarket seat posts are any more secure.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Wondering if the issue could be with the build directions.

The build PDF says to torque the seat post to 6nm, but the sticker on the bike says "8nm max".
I'm now 175 pounds on a size 56, I assembled it with friction paste and torqued it to 7nm, and and I have not had slippage issues.

TDF riders might be another story. I know these bikes are designed to handle cobbles but that kind of bouncing is really a torture test.

MysticRiver

by MysticRiver

mathias720 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:55 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:35 pm
mathias720 wrote:
Wishbone?
Cant find anywhere to order it?
Me neither, please report back if you do find anywhere... Maybe worth emailing them directly

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

inertianinja wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:16 pm
Wondering if the issue could be with the build directions.

The build PDF says to torque the seat post to 6nm, but the sticker on the bike says "8nm max".
I'm now 175 pounds on a size 56, I assembled it with friction paste and torqued it to 7nm, and and I have not had slippage issues.

TDF riders might be another story. I know these bikes are designed to handle cobbles but that kind of bouncing is really a torture test.
And yet it is possible to make a seatpost/clamp system that does not slip. Many companies do.

Interestingly, (although it is a round post) the clamp system on my Factor O2 is exceptionally good - a great design. In the event of an extreme impact, the wheels, saddle, seatpost, or frame would surely break before the seatpost would slip. It is that secure.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Woodleg

by Woodleg

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fabvr6 wrote:
Hi fellow Ostro owners,

Thanks

Fab
I have one of the first Ostros on the market. A year and a half, 20.000km, never had to retighten the seat post.
I suppose it's a matter of material tolerances, 5% on everything (seat post, clamp and frame), and when you unfortunately have the worst possible combination, this could happen.
Widest frame tube with narrowest clamp and seat post...

Enviado desde mi AGS2-W09 mediante Tapatalk

tmanley

by tmanley

I'm curious to learn if any taller/heavier riders have experience on the 61cm version of the Ostro VAM frame. If my research led me down the right path it seems that Factor didn't produce this frame size in the past. I'd love to hear feedback on how stiff the frame feels for heavier riders - so if you're 85kg+ and ride a smaller frame I'd welcome hearing your experiences too.

-Thanks, Todd

Lookryder

by Lookryder

I just got a 58 a week ago and it feels very stiff. I’m a hair under 73” and about 166 lbs; I know it’s not the exact comparison you were asking for, but it’s something.

3 rides/150miles after torquing the seatpost to 8 nm and it’s holding strong.

I really am loving everything about this bike except the Di2 shifting. It drops the chain on about every third shift from the little to big chainring :x . The stock superflow saddle is agreeing with my rear and my back is adjusting to the more aggressive geo quicker than I thought. This bike feels solid and I love the handling. Was afraid it would be a little nervous since I opted for 100 cm stem length, but it is actually quite stable. I have no regrets about sizing down from a 42cm to a 40cm bar

My bike came with 28mm tires instead of the stock 25 they quoted in the build, which is fine with me.

bobones

by bobones

Lookryder wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:49 pm
I really am loving everything about this bike except the Di2 shifting. It drops the chain on about every third shift from the little to big chainring :x .
I was lead to believe that only SRAM FDs did this? :?

Anyway, you should be able to correct this with some adjustments.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

bobones wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:04 pm
Lookryder wrote:
I really am loving everything about this bike except the Di2 shifting. It drops the chain on about every third shift from the little to big chainring :x .

I've heard this about SRAM FDs for so many years, and yet I've really never had this problem despite using all levels of SRAM, across 10sp, 11sp, and now 12sp.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

bobones wrote:
Lookryder wrote:

The shifting is only as good as the person who installed it and indexed it…

kode54

by kode54

Could be the chain line.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com