Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Probably too minimal to be really seen. I would choose Ostro over One all day long (P.S. I ride O2 VAM, which in practice itself is not that far from Ostro).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 4:43 pm
twoangstroms wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:18 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:05 am
How comfortable is the Ostro? Has anyone done any serious endurance riding on it? Does it beat you up a bit, or is it good for 7 - 10 hour rides?

I've found when riding hard that everything feels comfortable - the harder you press on the pedals, the less the pressure on the ass and hands. But when you slow down to a pace you can sustain for 10 hours, the comfort or lack thereof of a particular frame really shows itself.
How do you parse out what's due to the frame and what's due to things like the fit, contact points, road conditions? (Not that I do anything for 10 or even eight hours... .)
Most of us will have experience with the same fit, same contact points, and same road conditions (as well as same wheels/tires/psi etc.), but on a different frame to which we can compare - that's how! So get yourself a few bikes and go ride them for 10 hours each and report back. :D
And try to eliminate variables...like saddle as well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

lesliepark

by lesliepark

felipenovais wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:54 am
WITHOUT PEDALS 6.24kg. I am using Garmin vector 3, and they are heavy. Currently sitting at 6.56kg with power meter pedals.
Awesome SOHO color!!!

felipenovais

by felipenovais

MrRolandos wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:44 am
Anyone who has compared One and Ostro VAM side by side? The One is a pure aero bike and the Ostro VAM more all round? Wondering what the differences are in the real road.
I have both of them, and I live in a hilly/mountain area. I think that the ONE is a more exciting ride, however, the marketing is heavily on the OSTRO. It is all about your terrain and riding style. For example, MVDP only rides the Aeroad which is heavier but he prefers it.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

felipenovais wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:36 pm
MrRolandos wrote:
Anyone who has compared One and Ostro VAM side by side? The One is a pure aero bike and the Ostro VAM more all round? Wondering what the differences are in the real road.
I have both of them, and I live in a hilly/mountain area. I think that the ONE is a more exciting ride, however, the marketing is heavily on the OSTRO. It is all about your terrain and riding style. For example, MVDP only rides the Aeroad which is heavier but he prefers it.
Everything is flat, no hill to be found in the range of 200km. So speed is pretty much always high, I might take it to the mountains someday but that's not really what I buy it for. Just crits/races/training etc. Could get my hand on a ONE frameset, i just see so few out there. Same for YouTube video's etc. The ONE has been out for ages tho.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

kode54 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:53 am
And try to eliminate variables...like saddle as well.
Yes of course - included in "contact points".
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

MikeZ

by MikeZ

MrRolandos wrote:
I saw both in person at a local bike shop and I actually like the ONE in terms of looks :D more than the Ostro, however, Factor confirmed ONE can accommodate max 28mm tires. I wanted minimum 30mm hence the reason for me going with Ostro.

felipenovais

by felipenovais

MrRolandos wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:58 pm
felipenovais wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:36 pm
MrRolandos wrote:
Everything is flat, no hill to be found in the range of 200km. So speed is pretty much always high, I might take it to the mountains someday but that's not really what I buy it for. Just crits/races/training etc. Could get my hand on a ONE frameset, i just see so few out there. Same for YouTube video's etc. The ONE has been out for ages tho.
Go with the ONE! I take my one for climbing days without any issue. Trust me you will regret with you go for an OSTRO instead of ONE based on your terrain.
Attachments
275510177_541910493935379_8392734137022472694_n.jpg

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Yeah ONE seems like a solid one, im talk so I need the biggest size. From what ive seen, the seatpost seems pretty short. Not your normale 350mm. Anyone can confirm?

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I don't really get the One.
I feel like that was Factor's first attempt at an aero bike and it had some cool features and is certainly aero, but it's also really quite heavy and over complex.
Then they said, right, how can we simplify and lighten this whilst still keeping it aero? And thus the Ostro was born.
It's a very aero bike that is also very light and it rides great. I don't really see where the One fits in and to be honest I thought they would quietly drop it from the line up by now.

CR987

by CR987

I owned the ONE (50mm Hunt wheels) and a 2017 TCR (30mm SLR1 wheels) at the same time and riding them on alternate days on the same route I could see absolutely no difference in speed.
The route was 60km, 500m of climbing.
I now only have the O2 VAM and I'm very happy with it

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Seatpost question: the zero ofset looks like there is a slight offset. I wonder if that is to make up for the deeper post cross section and put the clamp at the center of the virtual seat tube line. Or is there actually some amount of offset. Can anyone clear this up for me?

It's a dilemma with my incoming Ostro - 15mm offset ideal for me and would put the clamp just behind the center of the seat rails - but of course 15mm is not an option. The 25mm is ugly and the clamp would be just about jammed against the back. OTOH I worry that the zero, if it is a true zero offset, would end up pretty close to the front of the rails which is just asking for trouble.

And totally stuck on colour choice. I like them all except the green. Any thoughts there would also be appreciated. Pardon the cliche but definitely first world problems.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Darimo do a -15mm setback.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I was aware of the Darimo but was hoping to stick with the stock item due to the fact that it is included with the bike (among other reasons).

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Another question: how is everyone getting on with the Ceramic Speed BB? Any issues?

If I am not mistaken the bottom bracket that ships with the Ostro is the only one that fits. Some T47 bikes that have internal bearings and others have external bearings. Lots of options for either of these configurations. Seems the Ostro T47a is unique in that the bearings are internal on one side and external other the other. AFAIK, the Ceramic Speed bottom bracket is also unique. If the Ceramic Speed unit is a problem, there are no other options. Worse yet, if Ceramic Speed as a company fails, then what? Silly suggestion perhaps, but much stranger things have happened in this industry. As well it appears that 30mm inner race is the only option so adapters for everything else. Interesting design choice from Factor.

I wonder if you could take the drive side from a Wheels Mfg. external unit and mate it with one of their internal non-drive sides and make it work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com