Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

How does anyone put the 12 speed battery in the seatpost? What comes with the Ostro is the older style rubber mount for 11 speed Do2 that doesn’t work with the newer style battery.

Round rubber mounts doesn’t secure the battery in the aero seatpost.

Any suggestions appreciated!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Brendan

by Brendan

kode54 wrote:How does anyone put the 12 speed battery in the seatpost? What comes with the Ostro is the older style rubber mount for 11 speed Do2 that doesn’t work with the newer style battery.

Round rubber mounts doesn’t secure the battery in the aero seatpost.

Any suggestions appreciated!
I used a Razor blade to cut out the inside rubber to match where the wires plug in better. Asked this on the FB group and multiple people had done the same. Worked fine for me.

kode54

by kode54

Thx. Odd that they use an off the shelf battery holder instead of making a specific aero one that fits proper within the seatpost.

I didn’t like how it fit even making the modification so I used some foam insulation and a few wraps of electrical tape to fit within the aero shape. I only wrapped the end portion and tried not to add any more total weight.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

jude188

by jude188

Does anyone know if the Ostro's stack measurements include the 20mm headset top cap spacer or is it just to the top of the headset bearing?

raven14

by raven14

20mm dust cap is one of 2 options delivered with the frame, there's also a lower one, so I can't imagine the cap being included in stack measurement.

jude188

by jude188

raven14 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:34 am
20mm dust cap is one of 2 options delivered with the frame, there's also a lower one, so I can't imagine the cap being included in stack measurement.
Oh I hadn't realized it also shipped with the 5mm spacer too. Good to know. The 37mm maximum spacers must include that headset cap then which feels pretty restrictive. The Tarmac SL7 allows for 60mm of spacers once you account for the headset cap and transition spacer. I suppose its frame stack is 10mm lower than the Ostro though. So for each size you end up with the maxium stack for the Ostro being 10mm lower than the SL7. Very interesting. Looks like I'm either a 56 with all the spacers and a 120-130mm stem or the 58 with very few spacers and a 100-110mm stem. Annoyingly right on the cusp! A 58 seems like a very big bike for me at 184cm.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

jude188 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:49 am
raven14 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:34 am
Oh I hadn't realized it also shipped with the 5mm spacer too. Good to know. The 37mm maximum spacers must include that headset cap then which feels pretty restrictive. The Tarmac SL7 allows for 60mm of spacers once you account for the headset cap and transition spacer. I suppose its frame stack is 10mm lower than the Ostro though. So for each size you end up with the maxium stack for the Ostro being 10mm lower than the SL7. Very interesting. Looks like I'm either a 56 with all the spacers and a 120-130mm stem or the 58 with very few spacers and a 100-110mm stem. Annoyingly right on the cusp! A 58 seems like a very big bike for me at 184cm.
Wow, 60mm is a lot of spacers. Not a dig at all but most carbon frame manufacturers used to recommend a max of 30mm below the stem, I even believe at one point Trek and Giant had this stated in their warranty specs for stores.

jude188

by jude188

Tifosiphil wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:57 am
Wow, 60mm is a lot of spacers. Not a dig at all but most carbon frame manufacturers used to recommend a max of 30mm below the stem, I even believe at one point Trek and Giant had this stated in their warranty specs for stores.
Yeah, I'm just working off of what the manufactures say are their limits in the Owners Manuals.

Specialized say max 40mm + transition spacer (5mm) + headset cap (25mm).
Cannondale say max 55mm total including headset cap on the SystemSix.
Trek say max 40mm + headset cap (20mm?) on the new Madone SLR
Factor says max 37mm total including headset cap.

So Factor is definitely on the low end of adjustability and definitely ends up being lower than the stack number suggests when compared to lots of other bikes which require a headset cap but don't include it in the stack number.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

jude188 wrote:
Yes at 184 cm a 56 would be to most common size recommendation, buit saddle height might be the determining variable for you. If your legs are long you may have to go for the bigger bike if you have stack issues on the 56. But then of course you will have to ride a shorter stem/bar arrangement which is not to everyone's liking. Just stepping back and looking at the dimensions in a general way, For a 56 Factor, the 565mm stack plus 37mm spacers gets stack up to 602mm. If one can't be comfortable on a 56cm bike with 602 stack, consideration has to be given to whether the geometry is suitable in the first place.

And don't forget to factor in that the Black Inc barstem is also pretty generous as far as stack height and stem angle.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

jude188

by jude188

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:32 pm
Yes at 184 cm a 56 would be to most common size recommendation, buit saddle height might be the determining variable for you. If your legs are long you may have to go for the bigger bike if you have stack issues on the 56. But then of course you will have to ride a shorter stem/bar arrangement which is not to everyone's liking. Just stepping back and looking at the dimensions in a general way, For a 56 Factor, the 565mm stack plus 37mm spacers gets stack up to 602mm. If one can't be comfortable on a 56cm bike with 602 stack, consideration has to be given to whether the geometry is suitable in the first place.

And don't forget to factor in that the Black Inc barstem is also pretty generous as far as stack height and stem angle.
Don't get me wrong, you're right that if the bike doesn't fit it doesn't fit. All I was commenting on is that the acceptable range for the Ostro does seem smaller than a lot of bikes on the market. That's not a problem if the geometry works for you and doesn't make it a bad bike. Just useful to be aware the the range of people it will work for is actually probably smaller than something like the SL7 or SystemSix which has a larger stack range per size. Just is what it is.

The 56 might just work for me but would probably be right on the limit regarding stack. My saddle height is 778mm which I don't think is unreasonable for the 56.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

jude188 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:13 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:

Don't get me wrong, you're right that if the bike doesn't fit it doesn't fit. All I was commenting on is that the acceptable range for the Ostro does seem smaller than a lot of bikes on the market. That's not a problem if the geometry works for you and doesn't make it a bad bike. Just useful to be aware the the range of people it will work for is actually probably smaller than something like the SL7 or SystemSix which has a larger stack range per size. Just is what it is.

The 56 might just work for me but would probably be right on the limit regarding stack. My saddle height is 778mm which I don't think is unreasonable for the 56.
If you need a tower of spacers, why are you even going for a race bike geometry?
Why not look for a frame that is in line with your fit?
Like higher stack and shorter reach. Canyon Endurance as an example.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Lookryder

by Lookryder

I’m 185 cm tall with a 791mm seat height - zero offset seatpost- and ride a 58 Ostro with a 100mm stem/40mm bar and all the factory spacers. I love it and wouldn’t think about going to a 56. The saddle to bar drop is significantly greater than with my older bike, but my back really hasn’t had any issues with it. I may remove a spacer to see how I do, but for now I love how it handles and rides.

jude188

by jude188

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:14 pm
If you need a tower of spacers, why are you even going for a race bike geometry?
Because I'm racing on it? Requiring a high stack != unaero (see TT bikes). I've got a position which is fairly aero which I can hold for hours (ie. long breakaway). Just because my position requires spacers that doesn't mean I'm a noncompetitive rider.

sigma

by sigma

Mr.Gib wrote:
jude188 wrote:

I am 176cm and on 56 Factors. Seat to BB 73.5 with a 165mm crank. I run 110 stems (-6 black inc mostly). Probably double check with a fitter to be sure but fwiw my Venge and Tarmac are both 56 size as well though I have run 54 in the past (56 no spacers basically).
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:14 pm
jude188 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:13 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:

Well if he got on a 58, he wouldn't need many at all....
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8