Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

tomato wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:44 pm
ericlambi wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:16 pm
I was just lamenting today how difficult it is to find/buy a 36cm aero top bar . . . which I agree, probably does make a bigger difference than a fancy aero frame. I've been looking for one that will work with my Ostro as I would like a shorter stem and need to make a change anyway. Tried FarSports, I guess they stopped making the 36.
Blackinc makes their non-integrated bar in 36cm.
I don't know if he'd count that as "aero" and it doesn't have the required exit port

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

ericlambi wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:39 pm
These are good suggestions, thank you. Do you think the Metron 5D would work with the Ostro? The version of the bar that is available in smaller sizes isn't labeled 'ACR' (which is their acronym for bars/stems designed for full internal cable routing). They are shown as different products on starbike.com, for example.
Looking at pictures, 5D likely won't work since you can't pass the cable out the back of the stem. The whole stem clamp looks solid.

Best bet would be any open/hollow stem and a separate handlebar like the Carbon Aero that allow for the cables to exit into the stem.

Also check the handlebars that come on lower level integrated bikes with separate stems and bars, like Pinarello Most Jaguar and BMC ICR handlebars. They have stem exit ports to pass cables trough the stem.

Pro Vibe Aero, 3T Aeroflux, controlTech Cougar FL4, and Sacra Ace have the required exit port but only go down to 380mm. Since sizes are nominal, you could see if any of these are narrower at the hoods like the Vision.

If all else fails you can reach out to MCFK and Darimo. They could make you a 360mm bar with the exit port.

But that Vision Trimax bar would be a solid choice if 368mm is okay.

Nooga

by Nooga

I've got an Ostro on the way and I'm trying to get details about this ceramic speed bottom bracket. One other post mentions that it is a 30mm with adapter for 29mm DUB. If that's the case, can I remove the reducers and use my existing SRAM red Bb386 crank arms?

ichobi

by ichobi

Am asking for the tour test not because i want to use it as part of decision making to buy the bike because i already bought one. I simply want to see how it stack up against the rest in things like bb, headtube stiffness and seatpost deflection…just because. These numbers dont tell much but it’s a “nice to know” kind of things since most of the Tour number are comparable across the whole review backlog and i also rode most of them. And i want to see if that 70n/m bb means what it means on ride feel.

Erwin

by Erwin

Nooga wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am
I've got an Ostro on the way and I'm trying to get details about this ceramic speed bottom bracket. One other post mentions that it is a 30mm with adapter for 29mm DUB. If that's the case, can I remove the reducers and use my existing SRAM red Bb386 crank arms?
That should be no problem. The reducer from 30mm to 28,99mm is definitely included. At the moment I don't if a bearing cover is needed or included for 30mm cranks.

Mike1

by Mike1

Nooga wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am
I've got one on the way too, I was told the BB is 30mm standard and comes with adapters for both DUB and 24mm spindles.
Factor Ostro VAM - 6.67kg
Open U.P w/ Ekar - 7.2kg
Canyon Ultimate EVO Disc - 6.17kg (retired)

kode54

by kode54

My last few Factors all came with adapters for DUB and 24mm. I think they were from Wheels Manufacturing (sleeves) while the bottom bracket was a CeramicSpeed.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Larsltt

by Larsltt

Hi Guys,

I have two main questions:
1) has anyone experience with any guarantee handling with factor if they arent the first owner?
2) how accurate are the fitting and sizing advises of factor itself? They recommend me the setback seatpost but im not really sure.

Many thanks!

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I can't answer your first question, but as an original owner, I will say that they handled a cracked frameset professionally and quickly.

I used their sizing quiz and it worked out very well for me. I am between sizes, classic long legs, short torso, and couldn't decide between 56cm and 58cm. They recommended a 56cm with a setback seatpost, and a short (90mm) stem, and it's perfect for me. Handling is great, the bike is stable on speedy twisting descents. I have also had a fitting by a well-respected fitter for another bike, and the Factor fitting came out very close to the numbers given by the bike fit.
Factor Ostro

Larsltt

by Larsltt

fruitfly wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:00 pm
I can't answer your first question, but as an original owner, I will say that they handled a cracked frameset professionally and quickly.

I used their sizing quiz and it worked out very well for me. I am between sizes, classic long legs, short torso, and couldn't decide between 56cm and 58cm. They recommended a 56cm with a setback seatpost, and a short (90mm) stem, and it's perfect for me. Handling is great, the bike is stable on speedy twisting descents. I have also had a fitting by a well-respected fitter for another bike, and the Factor fitting came out very close to the numbers given by the bike fit.
Thank you very much, sounds good!

wtneo

by wtneo

Hi!

My ostro seatpost slipped! I've tightened to 5.5Nm but have read on the factor FB group that it can be tightened to 8Nm?

Any thoughts?

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I have had two Ostro frames. One had a very loose seatpost, and the other very tight seatpost, so there may be a general issue with getting the inside diameter of the seat tube correct , and/or getting the diamter of the seatpost correct. If your seatpost slips I would consider a shim (aluminum foil??) with the recommended torque before I increased the torque.

Question: does your seatpost creak? Just wondering about the possibility that the seatpost can rock in the seat tube....
Factor Ostro

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wtneo wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:27 am
Hi!

My ostro seatpost slipped! I've tightened to 5.5Nm but have read on the factor FB group that it can be tightened to 8Nm?

Any thoughts?

Carbon fiber paste used? If yes, there's also ones with larger beads that might grip better.

wtneo

by wtneo

thanks for the reply - have changed the carbon grip and tightened to 7Nm. So far holding but will monitor closely!

SashaJoseph

by SashaJoseph

New bike day! :D
Attachments
My new ostro
My new ostro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com