New bike: Red AXS or Dura ace di2?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

gSporco wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:35 pm
I concluded that the ramps on the Sram AXS CR do not do a good enough job of raising or lowering the chain..

It seems that those who are not using the Sram CRs have a better shifting experience..
I'm using Force AXS rings with no issue. Maybe I'll grab some riding video including a few front up/downshifts to capture just how smooth it is. Almost no hesitation in grabbing the next gear.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

vinny

by vinny

JMeinholdt wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:29 pm
gSporco wrote:
I concluded that the ramps on the Sram AXS CR do not do a good enough job of raising or lowering the chain..

It seems that those who are not using the Sram CRs have a better shifting experience..
I'm using Force AXS rings with no issue. Maybe I'll grab some riding video including a few front up/downshifts to capture just how smooth it is. Almost no hesitation in grabbing the next gear.
Same here for me it works perfectly. I would suggest that you when adjusting sram stuff, look at the instructions on srams website and follow those. Don't do what you did for others.

You know what groupset you should get? get the one you like more they are all good. if one makes you feel better than another that is the one to get.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dbzznlqbqft

by dbzznlqbqft

Red AXS is heavier, expensive, less reliable. The only advantage might be it'll be easier to mount.

DA is everything better, but near the release of the new model (R9200). This means that the availability of both 9100/9200 is concerning.

Basically, AXS takes the advantage of the availability even though with not satisfying values (weight, price, reliabilities).

Feehliks

by Feehliks

gSporco wrote:
Feehliks wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:05 pm
I build my bike with Red AxS. I have had chain drops to the outside. Carefully readjusting the FBD and paying attention to the limit screws solved this. Scratched my crank nevertheless...

Generally a great group set!
I found once I adjusted to get the chain to stop dropping on the outside i found that it would not shift to the inside.. and then vise versu.. I couldnt get a sweet spot to get it to shift up or down without dropping.. I concluded that the ramps on the Sram AXS CR do not do a good enough job of raising or lowering the chain..

Reinstall the FD exactly to the procedure in the manual. If you just tamper with one screw you might not solve this. It does not have anything to do with the chainrings.
  • 2019 Specialized Tarmac SW SL6 Red AXS Zipp 303
    2019 Cervelo P3 II Red AXS 1x Zipp 808
    2017 Cannondale Slate Force CX1 stock
    2012 Specialized Tarmac SL2
    2011 Cervelo P3 - under conversion to single speed/fixie
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9 Ultegra

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Feehliks wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:17 pm
Reinstall the FD exactly to the procedure in the manual. If you just tamper with one screw you might not solve this. It does not have anything to do with the chainrings.
Done. 6 times. 3 times by myself. 3 times by three different bike shop mechanics.
Following the instructions to the letter.

No success. Now what?

You were lucky. And so where many others.
But percentage wis,e the lucky ones are in the minority.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Spinnekop wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:45 pm
I'm literally 150,000% certain this is false.

If you actually think that a majority of users face failures then you have lost grip on reality.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

Feehliks

by Feehliks

Spinnekop wrote:
Feehliks wrote:
Done. 6 times. 3 times by myself. 3 times by three different bike shop mechanics.

No success. Now what?

Says who? And what "letter" do you mean? On sram.com in the support aera there is a detailed step-by-step manual.
  • 2019 Specialized Tarmac SW SL6 Red AXS Zipp 303
    2019 Cervelo P3 II Red AXS 1x Zipp 808
    2017 Cannondale Slate Force CX1 stock
    2012 Specialized Tarmac SL2
    2011 Cervelo P3 - under conversion to single speed/fixie
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9 Ultegra

gSporco

by gSporco

Feehliks wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:17 pm
Spinnekop wrote:
Feehliks wrote:

No success. Now what?

Says who? And what "letter" do you mean? On sram.com in the support aera there is a detailed step-by-step manual.
Ive done this many many times.. Followed the manual, watched the video.. took others advise.. brought it to the shop etc.. No luck with the Force AXS and I refuse to try again after the inside chain drop left me stranded and scuffed the crap out of my new frame
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Maddie

by Maddie

For those that don't have these issues it's easy to say follow the manual and you shouldn't have any problems. As seen here, even skilled mechanics had to accept defeat. I wouldn't go so far as to say the majority has FD issues but they are certainly not isolated cases. Sometimes you just receive a FD that operates a bit differently compared than others...

gSporco

by gSporco

Maddie wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:19 pm
For those that don't have these issues it's easy to say follow the manual and you shouldn't have any problems. As seen here, even skilled mechanics had to accept defeat. I wouldn't go so far as to say the majority has FD issues but they are certainly not isolated cases. Sometimes you just receive a FD that operates a bit differently compared than others...
Agreed, that sums it up.. :thumbup:
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Maddie wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:19 pm
or different frame's FD mounting tab or different bottom bracket alignment, or chainring spider thickness, or ... etc.
A great robust system will handle all those. A finicky one that only work in the right condition should be called out as such.

DaveS

by DaveS

I've used a Shimano GRX 11 speed crank with it's +2.5mm chain line with Force AXS and had no problem, even with the big ring limit screw within a half turn of maximum. I then corrected the chain line with 2.5mm washers and it works with that chain line too. A Campy Chorus 12 crank worked great too. Doesn't seem the least bit finicky to me. I never had to do any readjustments, as long as I got the tallest teeth in the window and the marks aligned parallel with the crank. I wonder how many mechanics don't notice a FD cage moving off parallel, as the clamp bolt is given it's final tightening. Miss that and you will have problems. I first noticed this with the Campy crank, where the crank arm can touch the tail of the FD, if it's very far from parallel.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

there is a reason SRAM is pushing hard for 1X, even they gave up on designing proper FD

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Feehliks wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:17 pm
Spinnekop wrote:
Feehliks wrote:

No success. Now what?

ALL the letters.
I had the groupset of a 18 MONTHS. Trust me. Every manual, support doc. Video. Rumor. Wisper. E-VE-RY-THING.

It is NOT for the lack of trying that I chucked my $3000 groupset in the bin.............
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

Maddie

by Maddie

And that's the frustrating part. If your SRAM FD/frame combo doesn't work well together there is nothing you can do about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com