New bike: Red AXS or Dura ace di2?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gSporco

by gSporco

G104xG320 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:07 am
Why spend money on something that is much heavier plus very low reliability?
What are you referring to? The Quarq or the PM pedal's? Because both are extremely reliable and very very accurate... Sure the Quarq PM spider is a bit heavy, but coupled with Red AXS arms its pretty lite... not THM lite... but lite and reliable and accurate
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

G104xG320

by G104xG320

gSporco wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:02 am
G104xG320 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:07 am
Why spend money on something that is much heavier plus very low reliability?
What are you referring to? The Quarq or the PM pedal's? Because both are extremely reliable and very very accurate... Sure the Quarq PM spider is a bit heavy, but coupled with Red AXS arms its pretty lite... not THM lite... but lite and reliable and accurate
Nope, I am referring to the shifting parts, where DA beats the hell of AXS.

I will never consider DA crankset, the weight is terrible and 9200 is even heavier.
I will never consider AXS crankset as I don't care about power meters.

So in the end I believe if only weight and reliability matters, you shall end up with -
Dura-ace 92/91/9000 Shifting parts + THM crankset + a reliable chainring

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Spinnekop wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:45 pm
Feehliks wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:17 pm
Reinstall the FD exactly to the procedure in the manual. If you just tamper with one screw you might not solve this. It does not have anything to do with the chainrings.
Done. 6 times. 3 times by myself. 3 times by three different bike shop mechanics.
Following the instructions to the letter.

No success. Now what?

You were lucky. And so where many others.
But percentage wis,e the lucky ones are in the minority.
I wrote this in the AXS poll thread, but have to reiterate.

I think it's impossible that this poll is anywhere close to representing Axs owners properly. It's as with anything else when it comes to reviews. The negative voices are the loudest and massively cloud the overall picture of a product. Not that there is anything wrong with that, you are of course right to be pissed of after buying something so expensive and having issues with it. Especially since it's top of the line stuff.

The people with no issues, they usually have no reason to seek out these threads and they never even know they exist, mostly. Also, the ones with a negative experience might write about it on several sites, thus making it seem even worse.

Again. I'm not trying to delegitimize your issues. Just pointing out that this might be a very small minority of people having issues.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:15 am
I wrote this in the AXS poll thread, but have to reiterate.

I think it's impossible that this poll is anywhere close to representing Axs owners properly. It's as with anything else when it comes to reviews. The negative voices are the loudest and massively cloud the overall picture of a product. Not that there is anything wrong with that, you are of course right to be pissed of after buying something so expensive and having issues with it. Especially since it's top of the line stuff.

The people with no issues, they usually have no reason to seek out these threads and they never even know they exist, mostly. Also, the ones with a negative experience might write about it on several sites, thus making it seem even worse.

Again. I'm not trying to delegitimize your issues. Just pointing out that this might be a very small minority of people having issues.
To prove you wrong......I have not writen on any forum about my crap SRAM experience yet.

In my little space down in sunny South Africa, I have a couple of buddies that train together all with AXS red. One Cannondale Synaps with SI chainrings. Chaindrops (front) for days. Cranks scratched like hell. Two dead rear derailleurs.
Then there is one with a BMC with no issues. Only his brakes faded within 100km. Bikeshop remedy: replace pads. No issues since.
Third guy........Chapter one bike with AXS Force. Brake fade within two ride. Pad replacement helped but SRAM warrantied his left lever. Took 2 months. No chain drops.

Personally I have had chain drops ad infinitum. On SI chainrings. On SRAM Red chainrings. On 12sp Carbon-Ti chainrings. (I really tried fixing it before I sold it - cost me a boat load of money to replace with Shimano.....and I did not want Shimano.....I wanted SRAM) One dead rear derailleur replaced under warranty and brakes that gave the bikeshop sleepless nights.

In the end, it was concluded by a couple of in-the-know people (if you read up a little) that this front shifting issue of SRAM is maybe a bit more frame related that what anyone is willing to admit. Some frames it works beautifully and some it doesn't.
I still like SRAM. It's pretty. It's simplistic.
But since going over to Shimano, the bike has not ONCE been back to the bike shop. 10498km and counting. And for that I am grateful and very happy I made the call.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Honestly read this thread about halfway and most of the issues are with FD on Sram Axs and even Etap...

I have 2 bikes one with 11 sp.
Etap rim brakes, AB oval rings
One with Force AXS and Red AXS chain and cassette.
Shano cranks and Rotor oval rings.

On both bike front shifting is superb.
On bike 1 is on par with Di2, super quiet, fast and zero chain drops...

On bike 2 with AXS same story.
Front shifting is great, I set to Comp. mode in the app, absolutely nothing more to be desired.

SRAM red Axs chain and cassette make for extremely quiet drivetrain., Using Silca Super Secret lube.

SRAM AXS 2 piece calipers work great, no brake fade or tubing at all and no rotor warping either.

I don't know why people complain???

There's à good hypothesis that SRAM chainrings are to blame... It's possible, can't say for sure, never had them.

SRAM Etap and especially AXS road front derailleurs are super fiddly to adjust, but once you do are great.
I spent hours and hours and the end result is great.
SRAM gearing is years ahead and those that are saying that the 10 t cog is not efficient, just talk.

Do you really feel the difference between 11&10 t cogs??? I doubt it.
Is it a little inneficient, probably yes, but for how long u r on that 10t cog, maybe 15 -20 seconds...

People hate AXS levers, I love them, why?
Because my hands are always little numb and the bigger hoods are easier for me to hold to.

Since initial setup bike hasn't seen the shop at all, there's nothing to do, repairs, adjust on it, besides lubrication and pads change

P.S. and now with the latest Garmin update there is batter percentage field for all batteries: FD, RD, L&R shifters.

Maddie

by Maddie

People are different. Many prefer Sram to Shimano. To each their own.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

everytime I ride my AXS red bike, I miss the buttons on the levers and the FD working for no regard. DA is what I would choose.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

RoyG

by RoyG

Used Sram Red etap 11 sp rimbrake upgrade kit for USD 1300, is this worth buying? He got it since sept 2021. So basically only R/L shifter, FD, RD, 2 batts and 1 charger. I'm currently on LOOK795 BladeRS R9100 but want to go wireless for me to be able to swap the heaviest integrated cockpit to full carbon one piece bar and stem.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Spinnekop wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:41 pm
In the end, it was concluded by a couple of in-the-know people (if you read up a little) that this front shifting issue of SRAM is maybe a bit more frame related that what anyone is willing to admit. Some frames it works beautifully and some it doesn't.
I still like SRAM. It's pretty. It's simplistic.
Ya basically comes down to the frame. Gotta get lucky.

And it's hard to prove, let alone isolate... so what can you do if you get unlucky, even.

Wow I just caught up on this super bumped thread. I am just proud that Spinnekop muscled thru not only 1000 chain drops, but also 1000 people giving him the roundabout about his setup.

Truly the resilience and perseverance only a cyclist could have...
...not joking.

DaveS

by DaveS

While frames may vary a little in the exact FD mounting position, as long as the limit screws and cage angle are adjusted properly, it should work on any frame. I've used a grx crank without a chainline correction and it still worked with the limit screw within 1/2 turn of being maxed out. Seat tube angle differences may have some effect. Mine are all 74.5 degree. If the FD mounting bracket on the frame sits crooked rather than vertical, that might also cause a problem. A long enough rod of the proper diameter, clamped into the mount might reveal an alignment problem.

Barring real alignment problems, perpetual chain drops shouldn't occur, unless the rider makes poorly timed shifts or forgets to keep pedaling when shifting. Anyone with such a problem should also try another FD to rule out a problem with the FD's function.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I wonder how many people with frames that require a FD clamp have issues with the setup of SRAM FD's?

jlok

by jlok

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:13 pm
I wonder how many people with frames that require a FD clamp have issues with the setup of SRAM FD's?
No issue for me. It's a stainless steel bike with SRAM's FD band. Just stick with original SRAM RED AXS chainrings and it will shift very very well. I don't know about the Force and Rival rings tho.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Cemicar wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:15 am
It appears few people seem to mind the big hoods of the AXS shifters... For me that's the biggest reason of not going to AXS.
good point actually. two of my AXS disc brake bikes are using cable actuated Juintech calipers because i just hate the shape of Force and RED hydraulic shifters. Rival is much better.

(As the family bike mechanic, i have about 20 bikes to look after. campy, AXS, shimano, about equal mix in the pool. i myself use Campy and AXS the most. :mrgreen: )

EDIT: whoops didnt realise this is a super old thread, there was a very similar thread recently asking the same thing lol
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

nickf

by nickf

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:13 pm
Running etap on my English road with a Parlee clamp. Great front shifting even with extralight rings. They only issue I ever had was the front der limit screw corroded and wouldn't budge. Drilled it out and replaced it, no issues since. Now I routinely check it and keep it lightly greased.

card0s

by card0s

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:22 pm
gSporco wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:05 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:41 pm
Cycomanic wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:04 am

Are you saying you rode your SRAM chain for 12000 km? That's a factor 2-3 above anything else I have heard about chains lasting. How did you measure elongation? Also considering the amount of riding you do (based on how old AXS is) , if your rings last 36000km that's a new powermeter every ~2-2.5 years that's still expensive.
I'm considering the quarq power meter for my Force cranks. Do you mean that I would have to change the PM when changing to new chainrings? Why is that? Can't you just transfer it to the new chainrings? Or does that only concern Red cranks?
There's are 3 PM options from Sram now:
1. Red AXS Rings and PM (integrated, one piece, if rings wearout or PM goes bad you need a whole new unit)

2. Quarq PM Spider with Force AXS rings (2 pieces, replace whatever wears out first)

3. Rival AXS PM non drive side crank arm (replaces you non drive arm with an integrated PM, works with all AXS cranks, but obviously a heavier option if you are using Rival arm on Force or Red)

That all being said, I have found the Quarq stuff to be spot on and durable.. next best thing is Assioma, which I also have in a SPD Gravel pedal conversion..
Thanks, so I won't have a problem with that then. I was considering buying a slightly used Red PM crankset instead of getting the Force Quarq PM for my Force cranks but now that I know you have to change the chainrings together with a pm, that's a no go. Especially when I'm not the first owner and can't get it for half price through Sram when it wears out.

I was also considering the new Speedplay powrlink, but who knows when they'll come out and will probably be 3 times as expensive.
I didn't see people mentioning this before: SRAM will offer a 50% discount upon returning the old red chainrings with PM.
Obviously, it is far from a perfect solution but for those who still go with the Red chainrings with PM it is a nice to have option.
https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -wear-out-

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com