New bike: Red AXS or Dura ace di2?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

slippy

by slippy

I'm about to buy a new race bike but can't decide which groupset to get. I've got and had before ultegra di2 and liked it. I've got eagle AXS on my MTB and I like it.

Against Dura ace is the fact that it's about 6 years old and a new model will be out next year. Also that the power meter is crap according to DC rainmaker. But I've got Vector 3, so that doesn't matter too much.

Against Red AXS is the my doubts about the 10 sprocket and efficacy losses.

Anyone want to chime in on the topic and help me decided?

Ypuh

by Ypuh

I've got eTap 11s and absolutely love it, but AXS is a step back in many ways I'd say. Too many proprietary parts and useless new standards like the XDR body, DUB, 10t sprocket and integrated Quarq to the chainrings. The list goes on endlessly, so despite owning lots of SRAM products, I'd say go for DA Di2. The black also looks way cooler than the odd silver.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

azaggie

by azaggie

I have axs and di2 on different bikes. Honestly the efficiency loss (although probably irrelevant) will always bother me. If I lived somewhere mountainous where a 35-33 and 48-10 range would help, I'd probably like it more. But even for moderate climbing (especially since it's lighter), I prefer di2

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

A DA Bike is going to be immediately devalued the second a new version is released. So fiscally speaking, AXS is a better bet. But if you don't care about the loss in value and plan to keep it a long time, DA is absolutely fine.

I did recently switch from Ultegra DI2 to Force AXS and have no regrets. If I had to choose new, I'd go with AXS. Whether there's an efficiency loss or not, the 13T gap in front shifting and much wider spread of gears is something I never knew I'd like as much as I do.

I have 48/35 and 10-33 FWIW.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

havana

by havana

If you like proprietary standards, slower shifting, brakes that rub faster and ugly hydraulic shifters, I would chose f*cking Sram.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Why not Campy SR EPS? Relatively new, looks ace, no 10th cog.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I like the hood buttons & sprint shifters on Di2 over the eTap Blips (although any standard microswitch button can be converted to eTap).

You mention race, so another consideration if you travel/fly a lot is AXS has a slight edge with transport. No need to remove internal batteries at the airport check-in desk as that comes up. I value every little thing that eases air travel, especially when it comes to traveling with a bike. This is pre-Rona. I'm no longer flying for the foreseeable future let alone group riding, but when it comes back oh boy....

NiFTY

by NiFTY

As a man with 2 sram red mechanical groupsets i say di2. Sram axs is the ugliest groupset of the last 20 years. Di2 is also lighter and requires less charging.

And as far as cranks duraace may not have an accurate pm but the red quarq need to be replaced any time you change chainrings. And given wearing out chainrings takes ages. But if you wanted to change chainring size you would have to buy a new pm.
You can always buy any nonseries crank and run that with either groupset.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Broady

by Broady

Di2.

tofumann

by tofumann

i love gadgets and the fact that AXS is wireless really got me curious.
i was hesitated at first because one---i do not like the silver on AXS. Two---i've never heard good comments about SRAM. Three---i was very confused with AXS gearing ratio as I was riding standard sized crank with 11-28 for the past 7 years.

What made me switched to AXS two months ago when i had my new bike built?
One--i do NOT like wires and Shimano will no where be truly/completely wireless. I could hear the wire (even in the right length) making noise when i hold my bike up and i just didnt like it. This is just my pickyness.
Two--I called SRAM about my questions on gearing and their customer servcie did a fantastic job in answering my questions. I'm in sales and i truly appreciate when companies trying to connect with their customers. Same goes with Zipp too.
Three--i remember just like many things in life, i won't know until i try it. I can read and read but what's the point? To me, cycling is not just a sport to keep me active, it's also a hobby for me as i get to try new equipments.

My AXS is 50-37 with 10-28 in the back.

The person works on my bike charges top dollars for his work and so far, the way he set up my AXS is very good. I noticed it shifts very nice and quiet when the chain is clean and lube. If the chain is not in good shape, it certainly sounds like a trian. Yes, my di2 was also very nice and no i don't need a $9k bike and fancy equipment. But that makes me happy and gives me joy while i ride.

Sorry to say--- some of you guys are just pathetic...how on earth can you answer the OP's questions if you've never tried AXS? And yeah, if/when Shimano comes out with 100% (or close to it) wireless, i will definately go back because i know from my experience in di2 that their finishing is top notch.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

tofumann wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:44 pm
Sorry to say--- some of you guys are just pathetic...how on earth can you answer the OP's questions if you've never tried AXS? LOL
There's a lot of hate for AXS on this forum and conversely a lot of love for Dura Ace Di2.

Is it deserved? I like my Red Etap 11s when it works, which is sadly not always. I do not want the Di2 wires, too complex and too many junction boxes.

Di2 seems more robust, but yeah Red is cooler.

Which is more important to you?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

tofumann

by tofumann

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:54 pm
tofumann wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:44 pm
Sorry to say--- some of you guys are just pathetic...how on earth can you answer the OP's questions if you've never tried AXS? LOL
There's a lot of hate for AXS on this forum and conversely a lot of love for Dura Ace Di2.

Is it deserved? I like my Red Etap 11s when it works, which is sadly not always. I do not want the Di2 wires, too complex and too many junction boxes.

Di2 seems more robust, but yeah Red is cooler.

Which is more important to you?
exactly like you, i just don't like seeing the junciton boxes. yeah u can hide them in the bar-end and many good mechanics have their unique way(s) to make the wiring look neat. With my second bike that I'm building up, i wouldnt see the di-2 wires anyways because it has a integrated stem. But hey, i'm the type who wants to try it so i can tell myself why i don't/do like AXS.

My di-2 lasted me 6 years with zero issues. My AXS, so far, has no issues since i first got them (brand new) two months ago.

At this point, the idea of wireless and new gear ratio fancy me. I don't know in two year as what new gadgets may come out, or when/if my AXS poops out and SRAM would take care of me as i hope they would. Some can ride their bikes and groupo for years and that's perfectly fine, and i like to switch and try new things every 18 months as I love to do. No right or wrong there.

Sanjuro

by Sanjuro

gorkypl wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:52 pm
Why not Campy SR EPS? Relatively new, looks ace, no 10th cog.
Yeah, came in to say this. I know it's not a listed option, but I rode Shimano until the day I was able to test ride Campy, and then I immediately switched to Campy, and never looked back, or elsewhere. It's the most amazing thing to me. Sure, Di2 is nice and performs well. Reliable. I'm not a fan of SRAM though, I have to admit. It's just Campy brings just a little more passion and feel to it, some intangibles I love (downside, sure, at a lot more cost lol).

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I have AXS with Campy cranks, cassette and chain. It is for a travel bike. It works great, but for a non-travel bike I would go for EPS or next gen Di2. I wrote a longer review in the 12s cassette compatibility thread.
But I see nothing wrong with AXS except all the non-standard stuff.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

It appears few people seem to mind the big hoods of the AXS shifters... For me that's the biggest reason of not going to AXS.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com