Disc & Rim Brakes in Pro Racing 2020

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I haven't paid attention to road bikes or racing for a while but with the Tour now on I'm trying to. I'm curious, are any riders or teams on rim brakes? What do the pros' disc bikes weigh these days?

*As a devout WW my rarely used road bike is 6.2kg and rim brake.
**I've got a 9kg disc, FS, dropper post MTB that gets regular use.

by Weenie

bet1216

by bet1216

Inoes is exclusively on rim brakes. They may be the only team (or maybe 1 other). There are a few individual riders still using rim brakes but the majority of the teams are on disc this year (whether this because of preference or requirement by the manufacture isn't always clear). The general statement is most pro bikes are the at the UCI weight minimum (TT bikes being an exception). UCI weight minimum is higher than many WW bikes (the pro teams have even had to add weight to make minimum in the past). I have seen many of the Shimano teams runing the XTR disc instead of the Dura-Ace though (there is a very small weight savings). There is picture of Alaphilippe's stage 2 winning bike on Velo News with XTR disc on the Tarmac SL7. He also won the stage on clinchers (that is what the article is about).

Nooga

by Nooga

Noticed all 3 in the final break (Alaphilippe, Yates and Hirshi) were on discs.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Interesting detail on the XTR rotors. Last I checked (last season, maybe 2 seasons ago) the pros' disc bikes weren't down to minimum weight because of sponsorship requirements instead of choosing WW parts, but I assumed by now they would be.

Also, interesting on Ineos. Maybe the F10 Disc is a porky frameset or their wheel sponsor doesn't have light disc wheels.

Were those stage winning clinchers tubed or tubeless? I'm still a big tubed 23mm GP5000 fan.

tommasini

by tommasini

My understanding is that at least up to last year that teams really focused on GC had in the past leaned towards rim brakes since it allowed neural support wheels (Mavic is still only carrying rim brake wheels this year -so I've read) and also a team leader could more readily take a wheel from a teammate.

ichobi

by ichobi

Ineos is on f12 now and that frame disc version weight like an elephant. They will never be on disc if pinarello cant make light bikes. (Seem they can’t or they just wont). My friend 49cm F12 disc in red weight 1100g. Think about that when other team is on 690-820g disc frame territory.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Ineos (Bernal & Carapaz), UAE (Aru & Pogacar) and Jumbo-Visma (Dumoulin & Roglic) are on rim brakes simply to get near the 6.8kg weight limit. None of them have a dedicated climb frame and the disc versions of those aerobikes would go well above 7kg, hence the black paint jobs (or should I say no paint).
Cervelo S3 - 7.35kg

tinozee

by tinozee

No spoilers!!

Ritxis

by Ritxis

ichobi wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:42 pm
Ineos is on f12 now and that frame disc version weight like an elephant. They will never be on disc if pinarello cant make light bikes. (Seem they can’t or they just wont). My friend 49cm F12 disc in red weight 1100g. Think about that when other team is on 690-820g disc frame territory.
Pinarello has the F12 X-light and it's not that heavy..............

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Ypuh wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:05 pm
Ineos (Bernal & Carapaz), UAE (Aru & Pogacar) and Jumbo-Visma (Dumoulin & Roglic) are on rim brakes simply to get near the 6.8kg weight limit. None of them have a dedicated climb frame and the disc versions of those aerobikes would go well above 7kg, hence the black paint jobs (or should I say no paint).
Ineos doesn't use discs because they don't want to ...... they don't use tires or tubeless either, "complications" are avoided.....words from a team mechanic

Yoln

by Yoln

Nbc had an interview with Caleb Erwan's mec this morning (before he won, that was pretty well timed) and he mentioned Caleb's bike being 7.4kg. (Also unrelated to the topic, he sprints usually on a 54*11)
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160943

Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161550

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Yesterday Juanma Gárate from the EF team was a guest in the Spanish TdF broadcast, and while he didn't really say anything for or against either system, he simply admitted that the whole team is now on discs because the sponsor demands it.

bet1216

by bet1216

Lelandjt wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:10 pm

Were those stage winning clinchers tubed or tubeless? I'm still a big tubed 23mm GP5000 fan.
Tubed. Specialized Turbo Cotton. I don't think it comes in tubeless version.

maxim809

by maxim809

blaugrana wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:07 pm
Yesterday Juanma Gárate from the EF team was a guest in the Spanish TdF broadcast, and while he didn't really say anything for or against either system, he simply admitted that the whole team is now on discs because the sponsor demands it.
Thanks for sharing this. Not something I'd find myself given the Spanish broadcast.

Gárate must be either very brave or very innocent because admitting to such things, especially as a sponsored pro rider, can open a huge can of worms. Maybe his original tone wasn't as hard and blunt as you've translated, but it still leaves a lot of room for interpretation and the consequences always comes back to the professional rider since the sponsors are in charge and have a narrative to portray.

Edit: Also, I know it's GCN... but it's interesting how the professional peloton's opinions on disc brakes have evolved over the last 5 years. Went for "optimistically lukewam/skeptical/it's unnecessary", to "neutral opinions" to "it's great!". Whether it's sponsorship forcing the narrative, or individuals needing to have tried it to warm up to it, or a blend of both... is anybody's guess.

2015: Skeptical - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iYYLhtDHpg
2017: Neutral - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvWBwhpml5w
2018: Praise - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX_EPa0ZuSM
2013 Cannondale Synapse | 2015 LaPierre Pulsium | 2016 Pinarello Dogma F8 | 2016 Bianchi XR4 | 2019 Spesh Sprint

by Weenie

grover

by grover

EF are on Cannondale. They don't make a rim brake SystemSix or SuperSlice and they don't make a HiMod version of the SuperSix. So instead of 'demand' it's probably more like 'refuse to make a special rim brake version for the team and go to the trouble of getting it UCI approved'. We've seen Uran's rim brake SuperSix earlier in the season. He may have now been told to ride discs, or maybe the HiMod version with discs isn't heavier than the non-HiMod rim brake.