SL7 Stem on Tarmac SL6? (And Reamed out Future Stem.)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Chewey

by Chewey

Does the SL7 stem look like it will integrate well on an SL6?

I can't find any closeup images of the SL7 stem from the back end (they are all from the front). Images on bikes all have the plastic cap on, so I can't see the shape of the metal and the steerer bolts. Does the metal have any big cut outs that are concealed by the plastic bits?

I think SL7 stem is standard 1.125" which is better than my Future stem that I have had reamed out to fit. (Yes, that does work, just).

I have added the little triangles now and an Amazon out-front mount. The Brake hoses are well concealed now. The alignment of cap stem and spacers isn't perfect, but you probably wouldn't notice.

I've never liked the shiney S-Works SL stem, and I always thought the S-works future/venge/sl7 stem was a better partner for s-works bars (mine are aerofly 2). But the integration never quite worked, which is why I had a Future stem reamed out to fit.

With the new SL7 Tarmac stem now available, it could be the best solution to match to bars on an SL6?

htnguyen96

by htnguyen96

Hi there, saw you setup for the SL6. I was looking to do the same in order to get the no wires look.

There is now a 3d printed stem base as well as spacers and a top cap to match up with the stem.

My question for you is how did you internally put the cables through...since the Stem compression ring has no holes to put through? Did you drill holes in the stem tube?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Guevarca

by Guevarca

Not sure if this will help but Raceware here in the UK make a headset top piece to run Sl7 stem on an Sl6 - https://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/spec ... er-spacer/
I'm not a Tarmac owner myself but saw it recently and thought it may be useful

htnguyen96

by htnguyen96

Guevarca wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:44 am
Not sure if this will help but Raceware here in the UK make a headset top piece to run Sl7 stem on an Sl6 - https://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/spec ... er-spacer/
I'm not a Tarmac owner myself but saw it recently and thought it may be useful
Thanks buddy! I actually have the full conversion kit that comes with this and the top cap that the SL7 stem uses. Its the compression ring that sits on the frame and around the tube that is the issue right now.

https://www.performancebike.com/special ... MqEALw_wcB

The SL6 is just a ring with no holes to shimmy through the brake lines. :(

axagon

by axagon

I am also considering fully integrating my cables on the SL6 at the moment.

My thoughts on this:
1) Can the brake line on the front wheel be routed through the crown of the fork into the steerer tube or is there no open connection between the steerer tube and fork?

2) Can a hole be drilled in the steerer tube without hesitation to be able to put the brake line inside the head tube?

3) Is there enough room in the head tube to run the brake line and Di2 cable from the down tube to the front of the head tube and run it up next to the front wheel brake line?

4) The compression ring (https://www.performancebike.com/special ... MqEALw_wcB) will not fit in the headset mount of the SL6, it has too large a circumference.

If 1), 2) and 3) are positive, it needs a ball bearing for the upper bearing shell of the headset that has a larger inner diameter to pass the cables through and then a suitable compression ring around.

The compression ring could be created in 3d titanium print mechanics, price certainly high, effort to create elaborate.

Question: Would there be a demand for this or is it a small number of people who want to have the sl6 cable clean?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com