Input on aero bike build sought - What is your favourite aero bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geehee

by Geehee

jlok wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:25 am
kode54 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:19 pm
jlok wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:54 am
3T Strada or Due if you can't do 1X.

The frame hugs the wheels so closely and tube shapes seems aero. Heard that Darimo got a seatpost for it too.

What's more (or less)? The price is almost half of those fancy new releases (check out Merlin Cycles). Price per watt saved is higher i think ;)
I saw those prices. Crazy.
My friend picked up one and is very satisfied with it even with the untrendy exposed hose (he runs Force AXS). He feels much more aero than his last Colnago V1R for that the crosswind is obviously affecting him more than before, even on the same rim height.

I always wanted the Strada but this is not for me due to the fit.
I've read amazing reviews about the Strada (in a straight line). Blazingly fast, but in the corners not as composed. I've been thinking about getting one, but that hose next to the stem is ugly!

In saying all this...I'm still thinking about it...

Here is the review of it - https://granfondo-cycling.com/3t-strada-2018-review/
2021 Merida Reacto Force edition.....waiting
2016 Giant TCR Advanced 1
2010 Avanti Cadent 1.0

pmdd72

by pmdd72

Geehee wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:15 pm
jlok wrote:
kode54 wrote:
jlok wrote:

The frame hugs the wheels so closely and tube shapes seems aero. Heard that Darimo got a seatpost for it too.

What's more (or less)? The price is almost half of those fancy new releases (check out Merlin Cycles). Price per watt saved is higher i think ;)
My friend picked up one and is very satisfied with it even with the untrendy exposed hose (he runs Force AXS). He feels much more aero than his last Colnago V1R for that the crosswind is obviously affecting him more than before, even on the same rim height.

I've read amazing reviews about the Strada (in a straight line). Blazingly fast, but in the corners not as composed. I've been thinking about getting one, but that hose next to the stem is ugly!

Crits are my thing so I'm fairly sensitive to a poorly handling bike or one that handles like a boat. No issues at all with the Strada Due. It does what I need it to do and I don't have to think about it like I did with my 2018 Cervelo S5. Of course, bike fit and experience has a lot to do with perception of bike handling -- so everyone's mileage varies on this topic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmdd72

by pmdd72

Geehee wrote:
jlok wrote:
kode54 wrote:
jlok wrote:

I just read that review. The lateral flex they're complaining about is exactly the opposite of my experience. This is probably the stiffest road bike I've ridden in 30+ years. Feels like a track bike to me. Doing sprint workouts produces no discernible flex and I put out some pretty decent numbers. They also complain about a flexible front end but that is probably due to the 3T Aeronova bars. Mine has the updated Aeroflux bars and the front end is pretty solid. Finally, their test bike is the 1x Strada, while I have the 2x Due model. From what I understand they had to beef up the frame to handle a front derailler but I have no idea if that makes any discernible difference in ride quality.

GS100

by GS100

Some awesome bikes mentioned in this thread... not sure what an 'aero bike' is any more, since there's more convergence now in the 'GC' models of the main brands.

I have experience of only one 'areo' bike - Cipollini nk1k. And that's certainly not got the latest design features though is a current model. That thing is stiff as hell, fast and does corners well. Lots of carbon and relatively heavy though. (My XL frame is down to 7.15kg only with considerable effort).

I do agree that components make a bigger difference, moreso than the frame at this level - they're all good. I'm just as quick on my TCR, which encourages a little more uphill attacking, whereas the other holds flat speed a little better. Possibly. 🤷‍♂️

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Keykey1985

by Keykey1985

Geehee wrote:
jlok wrote:
kode54 wrote:
jlok wrote:

If you route the rear hose properly it looks much better than the hose going into the downtube or headtube. Might not look as good as integrated but then integrated at best can be a bit of a faff and at worst can be Canyon Aeroad.
Attachments
20210327_094037.jpg

davidalone

by davidalone

jhnbssll wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:47 pm
weenielyf wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:45 am

I managed to get out on one today! It's an amazing bike, and I couldn't wrap my head around the rough surface feel. I could feel the rough terrain, but was immune to the effect it would normally have on my body. So bizarre. I really enjoyed the bike, found it went up hills (albeit very short and punchy street "climbs") awesomely. One thing I did not find, unfortunately, was the same feeling of high cruising speed. And the GPS unit fitted to the bike did not indicate anything amazing in terms of speed - though I note this test route was different to the one I used for the Madone. One plus for the Madone, however, is the Isospeed really absorbs the bigger bumps well, to the point where I could stay firmly planted in the saddle that would normally throw my bum off the seat - which did happen on the XR4.

How do you find the XR4 holds speed? Does it make you feel like you're flying when you get up to speed? The disc version has a weight on par with the Madone, and per iflyadesk's point, this would mean the acceleration response/stiffness should actually be similar (based on weight - the model I test rode was a lighter rim brake version).

What wheel setup do you have on your XR4? Did you find variations in this made a difference to the ease of maintaining a higher cruising speed?
I've only owned the bike for around 2 months but it's certainly the fastest bike I've ever owned - noticeably quicker and stiffer than the (also awesome) XR3 Disc it replaced. On my first ride out I topped out at 3 or 4mph faster on flat ground than I usually would and finished with a few PB's on local segments :mrgreen: My XR4 is the Disc version and weighs in at 8.2kg for a 57cm frame kitted out with Dura-Ace Di2. It's not a light bike, but it doesnt seem to need to be to move quickly. Maybe try the Madone on the same route and see if it still feels quicker? I know exactly what you mean about the surface feel - you still know when you're riding on a poor surface but it takes the harsh edge off.

Up until last week I have been running a pair of Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST Disc wheels with 28mm GP5000 TL's - I have just sold them on and am awaiting delivery of some light bicycle rims so I can build the new wheels up. Whilst the 42mm deep Cosmics have served me well I felt the frame would suit something slightly deeper so I'll be running a 55mm on the front and 65mm on the rear. Once I've got them built and have ridden it a bit I'll be able to let you know what difference they have made but the rims seem to be stuck in Czech customs at the moment :| :lol:

Here's my baby, in custom Tavalozza colour scheme :mrgreen:

Love my oltre xr4 too. Its a rapid bike.

davidalone

by davidalone

jhnbssll wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:47 pm
weenielyf wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:45 am

I managed to get out on one today! It's an amazing bike, and I couldn't wrap my head around the rough surface feel. I could feel the rough terrain, but was immune to the effect it would normally have on my body. So bizarre. I really enjoyed the bike, found it went up hills (albeit very short and punchy street "climbs") awesomely. One thing I did not find, unfortunately, was the same feeling of high cruising speed. And the GPS unit fitted to the bike did not indicate anything amazing in terms of speed - though I note this test route was different to the one I used for the Madone. One plus for the Madone, however, is the Isospeed really absorbs the bigger bumps well, to the point where I could stay firmly planted in the saddle that would normally throw my bum off the seat - which did happen on the XR4.

How do you find the XR4 holds speed? Does it make you feel like you're flying when you get up to speed? The disc version has a weight on par with the Madone, and per iflyadesk's point, this would mean the acceleration response/stiffness should actually be similar (based on weight - the model I test rode was a lighter rim brake version).

What wheel setup do you have on your XR4? Did you find variations in this made a difference to the ease of maintaining a higher cruising speed?
I've only owned the bike for around 2 months but it's certainly the fastest bike I've ever owned - noticeably quicker and stiffer than the (also awesome) XR3 Disc it replaced. On my first ride out I topped out at 3 or 4mph faster on flat ground than I usually would and finished with a few PB's on local segments :mrgreen: My XR4 is the Disc version and weighs in at 8.2kg for a 57cm frame kitted out with Dura-Ace Di2. It's not a light bike, but it doesnt seem to need to be to move quickly. Maybe try the Madone on the same route and see if it still feels quicker? I know exactly what you mean about the surface feel - you still know when you're riding on a poor surface but it takes the harsh edge off.

Up until last week I have been running a pair of Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST Disc wheels with 28mm GP5000 TL's - I have just sold them on and am awaiting delivery of some light bicycle rims so I can build the new wheels up. Whilst the 42mm deep Cosmics have served me well I felt the frame would suit something slightly deeper so I'll be running a 55mm on the front and 65mm on the rear. Once I've got them built and have ridden it a bit I'll be able to let you know what difference they have made but the rims seem to be stuck in Czech customs at the moment :| :lol:

Here's my baby, in custom Tavalozza colour scheme :mrgreen:

Love my oltre xr4 too. Its a rapid bike.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Have you tried a Scott foil?