A few Speedplay questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

Hi all,

I'll cut to the chase. I got intrigued, I was thinking of trying Speedplay. However, I have quite a few nagging doubts.

- having read older discussions, I see that when people quote using Speedplay, they do so because either of their knees, of to make their bike more WW-friendly. In fact, if I look at racey new builds, I don't think I've seen (m)any with Speedplays on. Nobody seem to spec their new full blown race bike with them. Which leads me to the question, how come? Is there an inherent disadvantage (say, less contact area, worse feel..) that prevents new users to use Speedplay to use them as a "performance pedal" rather than an "injury protection" pedal or a "WW pedal"? I see them being far more popular on Slowtwitch.

- I've read that Wahoo has been discontinuing Speedplay products here and there. If I wanted to try an entry level pedal, which version would then be appropriate?

- one of my aims is to test whether I feel better with a reduced Q-factor from Shimano pedals. Is it possible to buy a set of Speedplay with quite a short spindle and then if it doesn't feel right add something like a set of spacers to gradually increase my q factor?

- one of my aims is to slightly lower my saddle height, and I thought I could gain a few mm by adopting pedals with a lower stack height. How do current versions of Speedplay compare to Dura Ace pedals (considering that I'm not willing at this stage to buy new shoes)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I love my speedplays.. Wouldn't change em for anything else. Originally was becuase of a knee issue. But I really like the feel of them although haven't tried anything else for ages now.

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

MichaelK

by MichaelK

robeambro wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:52 am
- having read older discussions, I see that when people quote using Speedplay, they do so because either of their knees, of to make their bike more WW-friendly. In fact, if I look at racey new builds, I don't think I've seen (m)any with Speedplays on. Nobody seem to spec their new full blown race bike with them. Which leads me to the question, how come? Is there an inherent disadvantage (say, less contact area, worse feel..) that prevents new users to use Speedplay to use them as a "performance pedal" rather than an "injury protection" pedal or a "WW pedal"? I see them being far more popular on Slowtwitch.
The fully customisable float range is a big plus for me personally. I have less float on my left foot. I know Speedplays have more contact area than Look Keos and Shimano SPD-SLs, not sure they have the largest contact area though. Maybe Time does in this regards.
- I've read that Wahoo has been discontinuing Speedplay products here and there. If I wanted to try an entry level pedal, which version would then be appropriate?
Get the basic Speedplay Zero Chromoly if it's your first set.
- one of my aims is to test whether I feel better with a reduced Q-factor from Shimano pedals. Is it possible to buy a set of Speedplay with quite a short spindle and then if it doesn't feel right add something like a set of spacers to gradually increase my q factor?
If you like them and decide to keep them, you can also get aftermarket spindles in a longer length in titanium online.
- one of my aims is to slightly lower my saddle height, and I thought I could gain a few mm by adopting pedals with a lower stack height. How do current versions of Speedplay compare to Dura Ace pedals (considering that I'm not willing at this stage to buy new shoes)
The difference is only going to be a couple of mm at best.

The downsides of the Speedplay system are
- More expensive.
- More maintenance involved in keeping bearings greased and cleats lubed.
- Release tension not user adjustable. If you need a higher release tension you'd have to go with their track pedals.

I've yo-yoed between Look Keos and Speedplays over the years and been pretty set on Speedplays for the past couple. I will get Shimano Ultegras at some point just to experiment. As always with contact points YMMV.

GS100

by GS100

I love mine, a couple of disadvantages I'd say are 1. The slightly odd/ specific and firm action needed to clip in and 2. Not all shoes compatible, so you may need an adapter.

The positives are that I feel very connected to the bike, low stack height even with the adapter, low weight, a really secure fit for sprinting or big efforts, easy adjustment for float and heel in/out.

Only comparing to shimano spd sl though

Etienne

by Etienne

GS100 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:02 pm
I love mine, a couple of disadvantages I'd say are 1. The slightly odd/ specific and firm action needed to clip in and 2. Not all shoes compatible, so you may need an adapter.

The positives are that I feel very connected to the bike, low stack height even with the adapter, low weight, a really secure fit for sprinting or big efforts, easy adjustment for float and heel in/out.

Only comparing to shimano spd sl though
You can add double face engagement, a unique feature for a road pedal :idea:

robeambro

by robeambro

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I seem to understand that in terms of surface area or stack height they aren't worse than SPD-SL.. Which still leaves me doubtful as to why they wouldn't be more frequently used by people who look for the best performance. Hmm..

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

I liked the feel of shimano better but my IT band didnt. Speedplay offers way more options in length. I think people may be turned off by cost. The cleats are expensive, they use to wear out pretty fast prior to the aero walkable cleats. Now they last far longer. You can get the cheap version on sale and move the cleats to the outter of the shoe and get the same or simalr legth to what you hace now I am sure.

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

I switched from Speedplay from Shimano. I hope Wahoo wouldn't discontinue it.

Advantages:

Adjustable float and lots of floats. Good for wiggle the feet around during pedaling.
Good easy maintenance (to me) on the pedal, just a small port to inject grease. Easy to take apart too.
Reasonable easy to adjust position and placement.
Reasonable to walk on (Speedplay Aero compared with Shimano SPD-SL)
Double side entry (I also ride MTB with Shimano SPD).

Disadvantages:

Sensitive to dirt into the cleats
Tension is not adjustable. I will prefer a slightly lower tension than standard.
Not easy to install Aero cleat cover (to me) and drop off a few times.

One the spindle, I recently got a third party TI spindle to increase the length by 3mm (53 to 56mm). You should not add too much spacer to the spindle as it reduces the amount of threads in the crank.

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

I'd add that if your shoes have cleat mounting holes that are fairly forward and you prefer/want to experient with a more rearward cleat position behind the ball of the foot, Speedplay have an extender plate that get the cleat about 16mm (from memory!) further back than the stock mount.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I love my speedplays and have them on all my bikes.
Probably the only disadvantage I have found with them is, that you can't really adjust too much on the clear pasition, with the adapter only fitting in certain position. Other than that, fantastic.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Courant

by Courant

robeambro wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:46 pm
Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I seem to understand that in terms of surface area or stack height they aren't worse than SPD-SL.. Which still leaves me doubtful as to why they wouldn't be more frequently used by people who look for the best performance. Hmm..
I've been on Speedplays pretty much permanently since 2008 - had hip issues and a bike fitter suggested the change. Now the hip is fine, I've tried others (Time, Look Keo) but nothing beats Speedplay IMO. As you say, on paper they look great - what counts is how they perform, and they deliver (rock solid, easy to maintain, new aero cleat is really good). The only thing against them is upfront cost but the pedals themselves are ultra durable. I put the lack of market share down to poor marketing and a slightly confusing product line up - Shimano and Look, as their key competitors are not short of marketing budget!

rlanger

by rlanger

Been on Shimano, Look, and now Speedplay for the past 2 years and hopefully will never have to change again.

I love them for all of the reasons stated already. I purchased my set used, and replaced the spindles with aftermarket titanium spindles, so the total cost was less than US$80 for a 160gr set of pedals. Don't think you can beat that.

The cleats are a bit expensive (around US$70 here in Japan), but in my experience, last much longer than either Shimano or Look cleats, so I think the total cost works out to be a wash.

Only downside for me is that I have twice, in the two years, lost a walkable cover.

robeambro

by robeambro

Thaks all again - apologies if I don't answer to all, but even if you're not quoted below, please know that I've read and appreciated your comments.
rlanger wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:33 am
Been on Shimano, Look, and now Speedplay for the past 2 years and hopefully will never have to change again.

I love them for all of the reasons stated already. I purchased my set used, and replaced the spindles with aftermarket titanium spindles, so the total cost was less than US$80 for a 160gr set of pedals. Don't think you can beat that.

The cleats are a bit expensive (around US$70 here in Japan), but in my experience, last much longer than either Shimano or Look cleats, so I think the total cost works out to be a wash.

Only downside for me is that I have twice, in the two years, lost a walkable cover.
Thanks for the feedback. Since my idea is to not break the bank either, can I ask you about these aftermarket spindles?

1. I see that they can be purchased on plenty of websites, is there a specific manufacturer that you would recommend?

2. I did not even know that the spindle came separately from the actual pedal bit, and that's great. I'm wondering, is there no difference at all in weight between the basic "pedal bit" and the top range "pedal bit"? Is the weight difference between say the Chrome-moly and the Nanogram all (or mostly) in the spindle?
Courant wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:56 am
robeambro wrote:
I've been on Speedplays pretty much permanently since 2008 - had hip issues and a bike fitter suggested the change. Now the hip is fine, I've tried others (Time, Look Keo) but nothing beats Speedplay IMO. As you say, on paper they look great - what counts is how they perform, and they deliver (rock solid, easy to maintain, new aero cleat is really good). The only thing against them is upfront cost but the pedals themselves are ultra durable. I put the lack of market share down to poor marketing and a slightly confusing product line up - Shimano and Look, as their key competitors are not short of marketing budget!
Thanks! Only one question, when you say the new "aero cleat is really good", what do you mean? As in, does it have a better feel to it, or?
Sammutd88 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:10 am
I'd add that if your shoes have cleat mounting holes that are fairly forward and you prefer/want to experient with a more rearward cleat position behind the ball of the foot, Speedplay have an extender plate that get the cleat about 16mm (from memory!) further back than the stock mount.
That's actually a very good thing. I am at the rearmost possible position with my SPD-SL and definitely have found no more pain in the front of the foot as I used to. (I did get some knee pain but this could be from anything..)
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:47 am
I love my speedplays and have them on all my bikes.
Probably the only disadvantage I have found with them is, that you can't really adjust too much on the clear pasition, with the adapter only fitting in certain position. Other than that, fantastic.
Can't wait to see them on your Emonda :lol: Just a question, why would you define them fantastic? Do they feel better, do you feel like your power transfer is great, do you feel that your foot is more stable? I'm trying to figure out what makes them good. So far it seems to me that other than potentially maintenance and not dealing well with dirt, there are no functional downsides to this. However, i'm not sure what makes them great, if it's just adjustability, fit, or if there's a better feel to them or something.
Last edited by robeambro on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

rlanger

by rlanger

robeambro wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:35 am
Thanks for the feedback. Since my idea is to not break the bank either, can I ask you about these aftermarket spindles?

1. I see that they can be purchased on plenty of websites, is there a specific manufacturer that you would recommend?

I bought J & L Spindles on eBay. I only see Buy it Now options currently, but when I bought them, they also had them up for auction with no reserve, and I was able to snag a pair for about $15. Crazy cheap.

I can highly recommend J & L.

2. I did not even know that the spindle came separately from the actual pedal bit, and that's great. I'm wondering, is there no difference at all in weight between the basic "pedal bit" and the top range "pedal bit"? Is the weight difference between say the Chrome-moly and the Nanogram all (or mostly) in the spindle?

I think all of the pedal units are the same except the Nanogram likely has titanium bow ties and screws. Most of the weight difference is in the spindle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Courant

by Courant

robeambro wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:35 am
Thaks all again - apologies if I don't answer to all, but even if you're not quoted below, please know that I've read and appreciated your comments.
Courant wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:56 am
robeambro wrote:
Thanks! Only one question, when you say the new "aero cleat is really good", what do you mean? As in, does it have a better feel to it, or?
On the bike, no difference. Off the bike, don't need to faff with cleat covers (which you needed to use with the old ones walking any distance or on particular surfaces) and the way the yellow "aero" cover goes over the mounting screws means that: a) they don't fall out if they loosen over time; b) they don't get rounded off when you wear the cleat out; c) the slots don't get caked in crud!