A few Speedplay questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drcgriffith

by drcgriffith

Tried with the screws less tight. Lost a pedal towards the end of a zwift race!

Seller has agreed to refund me. Frustrating. Would be a good upgrade of actually worked! Has anyone upgraded zero aero pedals with ti axles? Perhaps the dimensions are ever so slightly different to standard zeros?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

There's a guy on ebay I've bought through and not had any problems maybe give him a shout and see if he can help out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164638139550
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

bllx

by bllx

drcgriffith wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:00 pm
Tried with the screws less tight. Lost a pedal towards the end of a zwift race!

Seller has agreed to refund me. Frustrating. Would be a good upgrade of actually worked! Has anyone upgraded zero aero pedals with ti axles? Perhaps the dimensions are ever so slightly different to standard zeros?
I use aftermarket titanium spindles on my aero pedals without problem. Not the same seller/sources though (I think).

gSporco

by gSporco

Anyone have luck with aftermarket SpeedPlay Zero cleats? I want to get a couple so I will be set for a few years
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

For what it is worth, I got a set of Ti spindle from this seller on Ebay to replace the chromoly ones on my speedplay zero pedals. Installed it this morning--everything fits well, no issue during re-assemble. Will update more if I encounter any more issue down. I also got a set of the Ti bowtie plates from them as well. Seems to be machined well too with one expection--the top hole for the hex bolt seems to be 1-2mm deeper than the original steel bowties, so the stock hex bolt protude out from the other side by 0.5-1mm. I suppose you can grind down the excess if you want. I just didn't bother and sticked with using the old stock plates.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tipsum-Speedpl ... 2749.l2649

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

gSporco wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:55 pm
Anyone have luck with aftermarket SpeedPlay Zero cleats? I want to get a couple so I will be set for a few years
I order a set along with the pedals from Aliexpress, which seems to be a copy of the Speedplay Pave design. It was only $40 or so, so I figure I give them a try.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 4c4dMYCYRt

velomane

by velomane

@cloud9blue

I've got a set of those with Ti spindles. Extremely difficult to clip into with the supplied cleats. Somebody on the forum mentioned clipping in is much better with real Speedplay cleats.

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

velomane wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:16 pm
@cloud9blue

I've got a set of those with Ti spindles. Extremely difficult to clip into with the supplied cleats. Somebody on the forum mentioned clipping in is much better with real Speedplay cleats.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Good thing I still have two pair of geninue SP cleats to try it out--at least the Zero cleats can still be bought in most retailers. The pedals are becoming harder and harder to find these days, especially if you are looking for something other than the standard chromoly ones.

gSporco

by gSporco

cloud9blue wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:36 pm
velomane wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:16 pm
@cloud9blue

Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Good thing I still have two pair of geninue SP cleats to try it out--at least the Zero cleats can still be bought in most retailers. The pedals are becoming harder and harder to find these days, especially if you are looking for something other than the standard chromoly ones.
The Pave' use the same cleats as the Zero and Aero SP pedals?

What is your experience with the Pave' clones; any good? Are you using them for gravel or dirt?

Can someone post a link to them if they are worth trying?

Thanks
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

The answers to all your questions were just posted by me and a fellow member just right above your message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gSporco

by gSporco

cloud9blue wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:41 pm
The answers to all your questions were just posted by me and a fellow member just right above your message. Image
Actually I dont see my question being answered: "Anyone have luck with aftermarket SpeedPlay Zero cleats? I want to get a couple so I will be set for a few years
"
I asked about SpeedPlay Zero Cleats.. You and another responded about SP Pave Clones and cleats.. I dont know if the those cleats are compatible with Pave and Zeros/Aero? If they are then yes you answered my question.

But, then another comment was that the cleats supplied with the Clone Pave where hard to clip in and out, but were better when used with the OEM Cleats.. But I dont have Pave' and have no idea what the compatibility between the ranges are.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

FYI, SP only has two types of cleats "available" these days. The Zero Aero walkable cleats that is compatible with Zero, Zero Aero, and Pave. And there is the Ultralight Action Cleats that are supposedly only fit the Ultralight Action Cleats.

The knock-off/clones one you can find on Aliexpress/Ebay/whatever are hit or miss from what I can gathered. But they are all based on the older Zero V2 cleats without the Aero Walkable rubber covers. As typical of buying bike parts over the internet, YMMV. These are all information one can find if you spend 10 mins on google :D

Anyway, I gave my modded pedals a spin this afternoon. No complaint--all worked as designed. I would recommend buying from the seller I linked in my previous message instead of J&L since they ship from US.

R0CKETMAN

by R0CKETMAN

cloud9blue wrote:FYI, SP only has two types of cleats "available" these days. The Zero Aero walkable cleats that is compatible with Zero, Zero Aero, and Pave. And there is the Ultralight Action Cleats that are supposedly only fit the Ultralight Action Cleats.

The knock-off/clones one you can find on Aliexpress/Ebay/whatever are hit or miss from what I can gathered. But they are all based on the older Zero V2 cleats without the Aero Walkable rubber covers. As typical of buying bike parts over the internet, YMMV. These are all information one can find if you spend 10 mins on google :D

Anyway, I gave my modded pedals a spin this afternoon. No complaint--all worked as designed. I would recommend buying from the seller I linked in my previous message instead of J&L since they ship from US.
Nah...they make the X series cleats as well

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

R0CKETMAN wrote:
cloud9blue wrote:FYI, SP only has two types of cleats "available" these days. The Zero Aero walkable cleats that is compatible with Zero, Zero Aero, and Pave. And there is the Ultralight Action Cleats that are supposedly only fit the Ultralight Action Cleats.

Nah...they make the X series cleats as well
Forgot about that. A side question, any pro with the x series when compared to the Zero?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GiantRider

by GiantRider

GiantRider wrote:
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:Fit with most Speedplay Road pedals including: Zero,  light action Titanium & light action Stainless, X1, X2;   Won't fit X5, light action Chrome-Moly, Frog, Drillium

That's what the j&l to spindles say on ebay so guessing that's the same.
I saw that but wasn’t sure if the compatibility came because of their machining processes or if the original spindles were were a match. I guess it’s not a super expensive experiment. I’ll report back in if and when I get some zeros. thanks!

Yes. Spindles are the same so go ahead and buy the cheap zeros and swap the spindles out because the x1 spindles are the same shape. I swapped over two pairs and they are flawless. These zeros are a little harder to get in and out of, but that may be due to my x1’s being from the late 90s. Man. That was a durable pedal system.