A few Speedplay questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

Interesting thing I noticed when comparing the new wahoo with the original zero. The engagement slots on the wahoo ones are wider than the original bow tie design on the zero. Seems to let me clip in easier with the new pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mastaliu

by mastaliu

Thanks, this is helpful. Like many, I love the Zeros but they can be such a pain to clip in/out until they break in.

milanv

by milanv

I need to buy only new baseplates and small protector plate screws. I have asked Wahoo if it is possible to buy them separately - no, it is not...

Any help, please? Thank you.

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

milanv wrote:I need to buy only new baseplates and small protector plate screws. I have asked Wahoo if it is possible to buy them separately - no, it is not...

If it is non wahoo style zero pedals, there are plenty of aftermarket options on sites like Amazon, eBay, and AliExpress.

milanv

by milanv

OK, Wahoo Speedplay Zero - I need base plates, original ones have attached 5-F + 5-R shims, but I need curve with 6-F + 6-R shims for my shoes.
I didn´t found on Aliexpress, etc. any version to attach the 6-F + 6-R shims.

customtune

by customtune

cloud9blue wrote:
milanv wrote:I need to buy only new baseplates and small protector plate screws. I have asked Wahoo if it is possible to buy them separately - no, it is not...

If it is non wahoo style zero pedals, there are plenty of aftermarket options on sites like Amazon, eBay, and AliExpress.

You’re after cleat / shoe mounting hardware, correct? I think the Amazon, eBay, AliExpress recommendation may have been for titanium bowtie plate replacements.
You’re correct - cleats do not come with the curved wedges that shape the cleat to the shoe. They seem to only come with new pedals. And you say you contacted Wahoo and they don’t sell them as a spare?

milanv

by milanv

customtune wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:37 pm
cloud9blue wrote:

You’re after cleat / shoe mounting hardware, correct? I think the Amazon, eBay, AliExpress recommendation may have been for titanium bowtie plate replacements.
You’re correct - cleats do not come with the curved wedges that shape the cleat to the shoe. They seem to only come with new pedals. And you say you contacted Wahoo and they don’t sell them as a spare?
Yes, I contacted them with kind question to buy new base plates (no shims) and small screws. They have responded me, that it is not sold separately as a spare part...

The problem of aftermarket solutions is that they have one type of curve and I don't know, if it is correct one for my shoes.
Last edited by milanv on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

zero71

by zero71

For what it's worth, the original speedplay cleats (non wahoo) do come with shims. I bought a new set from Wiggle to get a bit more life out of my Speedplay Light Action pedals. I'll upgrade them when I get a new bike next year.

I also lost my box of shims from the old pedals and needed for new shoes I just bought. Anyway, the attached comes with non Wahoo cleats.
Attachments
D86630DA-D508-4A11-9AC3-6F98C2FB09D1.jpeg

gSporco

by gSporco

Does anyone know if the following is still available for SpeedPlay Zero Pedals (non wahoo):

Plastic Grease port covers
The screw/ bolt used to hold/ remove the spindle axle (mine are close to be stripped)

Bonus points for getting them in the US

TIA
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I ordered some from Holland on ebay if that's of any help
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

gSporco

by gSporco

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:39 pm
I ordered some from Holland on ebay if that's of any help
:thumbup:
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

ms6073

by ms6073

KInd of a topic drift, but I sent an email to Tispindles.com (fka Ward Spindles) to enquire as to whether there were plans to add spindles for the new version of the pedals but was disappointed when I received the reply to find the proprietor indicated they were no longer in business. So curious if anyone has heard anything from J&L as to whether they plan to manufacture spindles for Wahoo's iteration of Speedplays? We have a number of companies that do custom CNC here in Houston and was thinking I might even be able to see if one of those companies could use the dimensions of the original spindles to make a one-off set of stainless spindles in 47 mm offset.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

ms6073 wrote:KInd of a topic drift, but I sent an email to Tispindles.com (fka Ward Spindles) to enquire as to whether there were plans to add spindles for the new version of the pedals but was disappointed when I received the reply to find the proprietor indicated they were no longer in business. So curious if anyone has heard anything from J&L as to whether they plan to manufacture spindles for Wahoo's iteration of Speedplays? We have a number of companies that do custom CNC here in Houston and was thinking I might even be able to see if one of those companies could use the dimensions of the original spindles to make a one-off set of stainless spindles in 47 mm offset.
I will give it a few more months to see some alternatives on eBay and AliExpress. Wahoo is suppose to offer SS spindles of different lengths. But I haven’t seen any yet.