A few Speedplay questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

customtune

by customtune

I figure manufacturers of replacement spindles would need to have a wahoo pedal on hand, remove the spindle, take dimensions then create a prototype, test, then finally we might see them available?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

cloud9blue wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:22 pm
I will give it a few more months to see some alternatives on eBay and AliExpress. Wahoo is suppose to offer SS spindles of different lengths. But I haven’t seen any yet.
I opened a support request with Wahoo to see if there was any plans for a shorter spindle but the response I got back was that the standard offset currently available would be the shortest spindle that Wahoo plans to offer.
customtune wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:35 pm
manufacturers of replacement spindles would need to have a wahoo pedal on hand
Yeap. Have a set on hand that were intended for the wife's bike, but the standard offset (53mm) is 5 mm wider than what she has been riding, so technically, I have 2 spare spindles that I could provide to a machine shop for prototyping. :twisted:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

tubbeg

by tubbeg

ms6073 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:51 pm
cloud9blue wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:22 pm
I will give it a few more months to see some alternatives on eBay and AliExpress. Wahoo is suppose to offer SS spindles of different lengths. But I haven’t seen any yet.
I opened a support request with Wahoo to see if there was any plans for a shorter spindle but the response I got back was that the standard offset currently available would be the shortest spindle that Wahoo plans to offer.
customtune wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:35 pm
manufacturers of replacement spindles would need to have a wahoo pedal on hand
Yeap. Have a set on hand that were intended for the wife's bike, but the standard offset (53mm) is 5 mm wider than what she has been riding, so technically, I have 2 spare spindles that I could provide to a machine shop for prototyping. :twisted:
1B22905A-4A03-4C59-B070-30AC2B083570.jpeg

ms6073

by ms6073

Wonder why he did not try to purchase from Wahoo UK? Seems somewhat fishy to me as that seller has a variety of cycling parts listed including J&L Ti spindles, but I sent a message via Ebay to pingthyy2010 enquiring about whether J&L would be manufacturing Ti spindles for the new Wahoo Speedplay Zero pedals.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

neeb

by neeb

Anyone know when the Wahoo Speedplay powermeter pedals will be released? Apologies if this is earlier in the thread..

milanv

by milanv

neeb wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:14 pm
Anyone know when the Wahoo Speedplay powermeter pedals will be released? Apologies if this is earlier in the thread..
viewtopic.php?t=165502

icenine

by icenine

From what I understand the Wahoo pedals do not come apart easily like Speedplay. Getting parts for Speedplay seems easy on eBay. BUT not rebuild kits/bodies. They are pretty much non-existant.

ms6073

by ms6073

icenine wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:33 pm
From what I understand the Wahoo pedals do not come apart easily like Speedplay.
Look closely at the image below and you will notice that the Wahoo variant has replaced the thermo plastic dust cover of the legacy pedal with a smaller press-fit rubber plug. Once that plug is removed, there is a stainless allen or possibly torx head bolt that threads into the spindle, securing the pedal body to the spindle, the problem then becomes how to secure the spindle adequately to remove that bolt which has surely been tightened toa very high torque.

- Michael

tubbeg

by tubbeg

I just can't stand the lateral pedal rocking due to wear on baseplate anymore.
Installed new baseplates and made sure It was installed flat on the shoe, but signs of wear was shown immediately and after only about 500km the lateral rocking was back.
Due to knee problems, I need pedals with maximum 50mm spindles. What are my options?
Xpedo Thrust SL Ti seems good but cant find them anywhere in 50mm, iSSi looks low-end and seems to be out of stock everywhere.

BigCol

by BigCol

tubbeg wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:08 am
Installed new baseplates and made sure It was installed flat on the shoe, but signs of wear was shown immediately and after only about 500km the lateral rocking was back.
Due to knee problems, I need pedals with maximum 50mm spindles. What are my options?
Xpedo Thrust SL Ti seems good but cant find them anywhere in 50mm, iSSi looks low-end and seems to be out of stock everywhere.
SQLAB in small are sub 50mm

https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/peda ... -road.html

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

tubbeg wrote:
Keywin make a 49mm axle* for their Carbon pedals in both steel and titanium and they are an excellent pedal design. They definitely look 'industrial' but they work like an absolute charm. Great float that you can tune the resistance to and you won't have to worry about any rocking as you do with SP. And the platform is huge.

https://www.keywin.com//shop.php?ln=Ped ... ID=4030580

* you can add a 1mm pedal washer to get to 50mm.

ms6073

by ms6073

tubbeg wrote:
My wife has similar issues with highly calibrated knees. While not ideal, like the legacy Speedplay cleats, the Wahoo cleats offer ~12 mm of lateral adjustment but to obtain the narrowest stance, the sweetspot of the pedal is displaced more to the outside of the shoe.
- Michael

milanv

by milanv

Any news about aftermarket titanium spindles for Wahoo Speedplay Zero?

Lemond75

by Lemond75

tubbeg wrote:
I've got the same issue with the new pedals as well, exacerbated no doubt because I have a 6mm shim under one of my cleats. The rocking and instability was terrible, so I've switched over to SPD SLs which are so much more stable. Gutted as I use Speedplay on all my bikes, and hoped that Wahoo would have fixed this particular issue.

xsnailx

by xsnailx

if you need great stability, try keywin :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com