Time (Sport) Marches On -- The Future Of Time Sport

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbonazza

by carbonazza

wooglins wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:54 pm
... I like the way they work so much that a small investment has been made in bearing and pedal bodies in case this deal goes south....
Can you buy bodies only?
Or just swapping them with full pedals ?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Cemicar wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:55 am
This news makes me remember Speed Play and Power Tap were acquired by Wahoo and SRAM respectively but nothing has ever happened since then.
Nothing except: Adios, PowerTap.

https://www.velonews.com/gear/tech-wear ... 2432106614
On February 12, 2021, VeloNews article: SRAM quietly stops selling PowerTap power meters wrote:During the first week of February, SRAM removed all PowerTap power meters for sale from its website without fanfare. While this comes as no surprise — Quarq power meters are owned by SRAM — it does mean the end of the road for a brand that was nearly synonymous with inexpensively and accurately measuring power on the bike, for the past two decades.

“The PowerTap G3 Hub and P2 Pedals are now discontinued. While we are no longer accepting new orders, we are fulfilling existing orders and honoring the full warranty period,” says Michael Zellmann, senior corporate public relations manager at SRAM. “Going forward, we have decided to focus on further developing the next generation of power meter technologies.”

Those who have recently ordered new PowerTap products will not be left orphaned, and SRAM will fill orders placed before PowerTap products were removed for sale from the SRAM website. Support will still be available for PowerTap products, however SRAM has not indicated for how long.

In 2015, Saris launched the PowerTap P1 pedal-based power meter, and the C1 spider-based power meter.

SRAM acquired PowerTap in April of 2019, adding the G3 and P1 power meters as options available alongside the Quarq power meter lineup; the C1 spider-based power meter was discontinued at this time. But it was clear that while PowerTap had more experience in the power meter market, and was price-competitive, it took a back seat to Quarq.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

SRAM axed the G3 and P2, which were aging products. It remains to be seen whether the G4 will see the light of day and if there will be PowerTap branding as a byline on future pedals.

wooglins

by wooglins

carbonazza wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 am
wooglins wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:54 pm
... I like the way they work so much that a small investment has been made in bearing and pedal bodies in case this deal goes south....
Can you buy bodies only?
Or just swapping them with full pedals ?
Ebay. All of the bodies are the same functionaly and weight wise. So an xpro 10 works fine as a spare. I can reuse the ti axle from my xpro 12's. Same for spare bearings. I have about 100 bucks invested in spare stuff.

RDY

by RDY

As far as I'm concerned, this is positive. Provided that they honour Time (Rossignol)'s prior commitment to replacing my Cyclos free of charge with the new design, next month. SRAM have the resources to turn things round and get some of the availability and poor quality fixed.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Much like has been done with the parent company, I think it's time to end this thread and split it in two.

- One thread for the coporate entity known as Time Bicycles and their encompassing frames and other hardware components.

- Another thread for Time Sport and their pedal division after their sale to SRAM.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

RDY wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:51 pm
As far as I'm concerned, this is positive. Provided that they honour Time (Rossignol)'s prior commitment to replacing my Cyclos free of charge with the new design, next month. SRAM have the resources to turn things round and get some of the availability and poor quality fixed.
The BikeBiz article says current customer service and support will continue unchanged for at least a few months while the company transitions to Sram.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

RDY wrote:
... replacing my Cyclos free of charge with the new design...
Is the issue about the spring being too fragile and bending ?

Thanks @wooglins for the ebay hint. Will stock some parts too.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

So what is the progress of the bike business and production?
I have Xpresso 10 and 12, great working pedals.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

RDY

by RDY

carbonazza wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 pm
RDY wrote:
... replacing my Cyclos free of charge with the new design...
Is the issue about the spring being too fragile and bending ?

Thanks @wooglins for the ebay hint. Will stock some parts too.
They're an absolute mess. The retaining foil will trigger without engaging the cleat, locking you out. Requiring pliers and a large amount of force to reset it. Some have reported being locked in too.

My left pedal did it most of the time from first ride. Right some of the time from first ride - right at least I could stamp into to reset.

After less than 300km left was on a hair trigger, had a 90% failure rate, and had become virtually impossible to reset. Right was rapidly worsening too.

The bearings or what ever they use are also totally shot already. Notchy as hell. They've also never hung in the correct position, which is inexcusable on a single sided 'Cyclo' pedal.

They've promised me redesigned "100% reliable" pair in March. We'll see.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

RDY wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:54 pm
...They've promised me redesigned "100% reliable" pair in March. We'll see.
Did you get some news ? I've contacted r2-bike about mines.
And after sending them some pictures, they triggered a warranty claim.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

RDY wrote:
r2-bike did send the pedals back to the unknown, and I got my money back instead of a redesigned model

RDY

by RDY

carbonazza wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 pm
RDY wrote:
Did you get some news ? I've contacted r2-bike about mines.
And after sending them some pictures, they triggered a warranty claim.
Sorry, missed this.

Apparently Rossignol wouldn't commit to spending the money on setting up for production of the redesigned Cyclo, as the company was being sold. According to Time, SRAM have committed to producing the finished redesign, but there's no ETA. I'd guess any new pedals will move to SRAM or their OEMs' production facilities, and existing ones will stay for a while at Rossignol during the transition.

They offered me a choice of ATAC 8 or Xpresso 7, or refund via retailer as they couldn't give me an ETA. I took the Xpresso 7.

I hope the redesign works fully. When I could actually clip in, I found them really comfortable, and a very solid platform. Way better than any other ATAC cleat based pedal I've tried before.

RDY

by RDY

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/interna ... RuKMBZRUuU

SRAM have opened a TIME branded pedal factory in Coimbra.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Wow nice. Any reasoning why its Coimbra? went there during my semester abraod; beautiful place
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com