Time (Sport) Marches On -- The Future Of Time Sport

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Llanberis

by Llanberis

EvilEuro wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:27 pm
Looks like changes are afoot: http://timebicycles.com/

Nothing there yet other than a placeholder though.
You can now subscribe to the newsletter to be informed when they launch the site. :thumbup:

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

I think e-shop is in the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sheldonsmith

by sheldonsmith

In Bicycle Retailer today.

Looks like the SRAM rumor was true:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industr ... gnol-group

SRAM buys Time's pedal business from Rossignol Group

Published February 21, 2021
The announcement comes after Cardinal Cycling Group acquired Time's bike and frame business. The two businesses will operate separately.

CHICAGO (BRAIN) — SRAM has completed the purchase of the Time Sport pedal business from Rossignol Group. The acquisition adds another brand to SRAM's portfolio of RockShox, Avid, Qarq, Zipp, and Truvativ and gives it a distinct pedal brand and technology should it choose to re-enter the growing market for pedal-based power meters.

Other than some Truvativ flat pedals and PowerTap power meter pedals — which it recently stopped selling — SRAM has not previously been in the pedal business, although the Chicago company offers virtually every other component for road and mountain bikes.

The companies did not release the purchase price. Earlier this month BRAIN reported that Rossignol Group had sold its frame and bike business, including its TVM carbon factory in Gajary, Slovakia, to Cardinal Cycling Group.

Cardinal and SRAM will operate separate businesses for the products — Cardinal's bike and frame business will use the "Time Bikes" brand and SRAM will use the "Time Sport" brand.

“I’m thrilled that we have found two exceptional buyers for Time," said Scott Rittschof, the senior vice president of Rossignol's bike division. "Each brings unique strengths to drive the great Time brand forward.”

Rossignol bought Time in 2016, soon after the death of its founder, Rolan Cattin. With concerns about climate change affecting its winter sports business, Rossi’ was making a push into summer sports and fashion to diversify. It later bought Felt Bicycle in 2017 and has expanded its Rossignol-branded bike business, especially in Europe.

SRAM's move comes at a time of great activity around power meter pedals. Road power pedals from Garmin and Favero Assioma have become steady sellers, and Wahoo's purchase of Speedplay is widely seen as a prelude to a power pedal entry from the Georgia brand. Several companies are said to have dual-sided mountain bike/gravel power pedals in the works. SRAM brings power meter knowledge and intellectual property from both Quarq and PowerTap, which it acquired in 2019.

SRAM bought Time's "entire range of road and mountain pedals, cleats, and all related patents" from Rossignol; the company did not say if it had bought any manufacturing assets.

SRAM's president, Ken Lousberg, said that like its previous acquisitions, SRAM will retain the Time brand as a distinct offering.

“Time is a legendary brand and was the first to focus on ergonomics through the pedal stroke," Lousberg said. "We will work to preserve Time's history and heritage, and continue their legacy of innovation and quality.”

Not all the brands that SRAM has acquired have remained distinct. It acquired Fichtel & Sachs in 1997 and soon shelved the Sachs brand, although it continues to benefit from Sachs' engineering and manufacturing assets.

According to SRAM, customers in need of service and support for pedals can contact their usual Time office during a transition period that will extend to mid-2021. Cardinal has already begun shipping Time frames and bikes in Europe and the U.S.

More at the link posted above.

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Time side in the air

https://www.timebicycles.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I can't help but think of
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsk3zAZyLaQ[/YouTube]

I hope my fears of the SRAMization of Time pedals and cleats is not realized.

---------------------

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/02/sram-ac ... hoe-lines/
CYCLINGTIPS article: SRAM acquires TIME pedals. Is a SRAM power pedal coming? wrote: SRAM has announced the purchase of French pedal brand TIME. In the latest in a long list of acquisitions, including Quarq, Zipp, Powertap, RockShox, Truvativ, and Avid, the TIME acquisition moves SRAM into the pedal market with an established brand.

SRAM has confirmed it will continue to offer TIME cleats and pedal spare parts beginning “mid-year 2021”, but have not yet decided on the continuation of the TIME shoe range.

TIME warranties will be honoured by TIME sport until SRAM takes on the sales and service operations later this year. At that point, SRAM has said it “will integrate TIME Sport into its published warranty policy”.

wooglins

by wooglins

HammerTime2 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:51 pm
I can't help but think of

I hope my fears of the SRAMization of Time pedals and cleats is not realized.

---------------------

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/02/sram-ac ... hoe-lines/
CYCLINGTIPS article: SRAM acquires TIME pedals. Is a SRAM power pedal coming? wrote: SRAM has announced the purchase of French pedal brand TIME. In the latest in a long list of acquisitions, including Quarq, Zipp, Powertap, RockShox, Truvativ, and Avid, the TIME acquisition moves SRAM into the pedal market with an established brand.

SRAM has confirmed it will continue to offer TIME cleats and pedal spare parts beginning “mid-year 2021”, but have not yet decided on the continuation of the TIME shoe range.

TIME warranties will be honoured by TIME sport until SRAM takes on the sales and service operations later this year. At that point, SRAM has said it “will integrate TIME Sport into its published warranty policy”.

Me thinks the Time pedals come baked with enough unreliablity on thier own without assistance from SRAM. I love the iclic engagment, so much so that I have moved from Iclic1 to iclic2 to XPRO. I like the way they work so much that a small investment has been made in bearing and pedal bodies in case this deal goes south. First choice was to switch to Shimano, but they just did not work nearly as well for me after a recent attempt last month when I discovered all this mess.
I wish someone else make a pedal with a similar enagement system.

SRAM bought them as the best pedal platform to build a power meter around perhaps. I am not optimistic for the future of the current XPro pedals. Just hope they dont dump IClic and a high end model right away.

sychen

by sychen

One upside potentially is service and parts for future products will be much better with sram. Time was terribly inefficient, the plastic cover replacement for the xpro needed the whole pedal to be sent back. No spares can be bought.. At least not in Australia.

Now with powertap tech combined with Time iclic system.. Could be a great product.

Yes we joke about "f*** sram" reliability but they make some products that people love that are distinctively different from Shimano and Campagnolo.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Llanberis

by Llanberis

A list of FAQs is also available on SRAM website regarding the acquisition:

https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/arti ... IME-Sport-

I use SRAM groups but I agree they don't have the best track record for good engineering. I hope they don't rush it and I'm personally quite excited about the idea of Time pedal-based PM that would take iClic 2 cleats.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

sychen wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:38 pm
One upside potentially is service and parts for future products will be much better with sram. Time was terribly inefficient, the plastic cover replacement for the xpro needed the whole pedal to be sent back. No spares can be bought.. At least not in Australia.
Are you looking for
Time replacement-Pedal cover bottom for Xpro blacl

Also available for shipping to Australia,
Time replacement-Doppel spring blatt carbon for Xpro black

Time replacement-Plattform for Xpro black

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sychen wrote:

Now with powertap tech combined with Time iclic system.. Could be a great product.

Yes we joke about "f*** sram" reliability but they make some products that people love that are distinctively different from Shimano and Campagnolo.

Yeah, people need to think of the alternate possibilities here. Time’s pedal business could have been bought by any number of worse brands such as random private investors or other “outdoor” conglomerates like Vista. SRAM almost represents the best case scenario here.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:28 am
sychen wrote:

Yeah, people need to think of the alternate possibilities here. Time’s pedal business could have been bought by any number of worse brands such as random private investors or other “outdoor” conglomerates like Vista. SRAM almost represents the best case scenario here.
Agree 100%, with SRAM I at least have a feeling they will go forward with the pedals as it adds completeness to their product lines. Unlike Speedplay, who I feel couild be killed off by Wahoo with very little notice. Like if Wahoo cannot develop a via powermeter version of Speedplay Zero then I see them abandoning the whole pedal game, possibly.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Too bad Greg didn't buy the Time pedal business. He rode Time TBT pedals to his '89 and '90 TdF victories, as well as the 1989 World Championship.

Of course, maquisard might think otherwise.
LeMond bikes return?

LeMond actually owned Time Sport USA from 2013 until perhaps when Rossignol bought Time in 2016? So he was in charge of U.S. distribution and service.

AJS914

by AJS914

My Time Equipe Magnesium Pro pedals were the best pedals I've ever ridden hands down. I only "upgraded" because the pedals and my Carnac shoes weighed as much as a boat anchor.

I'm sweet on that new gloss blue Alpe d'Huez. Finally a good looking color that would make me want to buy another Time. It seems like a 21 for under $2000 is a great deal.

I might go rim brake one last time....

sychen

by sychen

HammerTime2 wrote:
sychen wrote:
Are you looking for
Time replacement-Pedal cover bottom for Xpro blacl

Also available for shipping to Australia,
Time replacement-Doppel spring blatt carbon for Xpro black

Time replacement-Plattform for Xpro black

Thanks hammer.. The first one.
Could not find any retailers with this part at the time.. About 2yrs ago.

It was a warranty issue and would of saved much time and effort to just send me the plastic part.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

So Trek-Segafredo and Movistar riders are forced to use Time pedals in the near future? Movistar has to cease the contract with LOOK, and Trek may continue to use Shimano pedals with masked logos...

This news makes me remember Speed Play and Power Tap were acquired by Wahoo and SRAM respectively but nothing has ever happened since then.