Page 1 of 27

2020 Sub UCI weight Specialized

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:14 pm
by Knightyboy27
Thought I'd start a new thread for peoples thoughts/rumours

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:27 pm
by adilosnave
Probably an e-bike, fat tire, gravel recumbent.

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:27 pm
by Weenie

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:29 pm
by dolophonic
WEIGHT ... :up:

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:29 pm
by dolophonic
it will be crazy light ..

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:30 pm
by FlatlandClimber
adilosnave wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:27 pm
Probably an e-bike, fat tire, gravel recumbent.
6.79kg Unicycle is my bet.

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:28 am
by sychen
1x weight weenie special Hill climb specialist bike with aero consideration... Sub 5kg out of the box... $20k with sub 1kg wheelset, unpadded carbon saddle, no bottle cage mounts.



Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk



Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:46 am
by FactoryMatt
Cyclingtips sl7 podcast is interesting. The spesh engineers are mum on it. They know something.

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:32 am
by MyM3Coupe
You left out another piece of crap Asian open mold frame with dropped seat stays. I'm in such suspense. Lolz

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:52 am
by Knightyboy27
FactoryMatt wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:46 am
Cyclingtips sl7 podcast is interesting. The spesh engineers are mum on it. They know something.
I'll take a listen later, but there's an interesting quote in the Cyclingtips review of the SL7

“So currently the Venge in our line right now does not meet much of a need for that rider looking for the performance product.”

Sounds like they've left an opening for something new, and the author even mentions that in their final thoughts.

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:22 am
by madik
Does it make sense to change the geometry of the bike that would be otherwice not possible under UCI rules? I can think mostly about seat tube angle which could be higher and therefor move the seat horizontaly closer to BB. In many cases its favorable to move the seatpost more forward as it opens the hip angle and allow more agressive position on the bike but the current geometries prevents it due to rules about minimal seat setback from BB. If the seat tube angle would be changed it would require other changes, longer reach and perhaps even lower stack of the frame.

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:02 am
by Knightyboy27
madik wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:22 am
Does it make sense to change the geometry of the bike that would be otherwice not possible under UCI rules? I can think mostly about seat tube angle which could be higher and therefor move the seat horizontaly closer to BB. In many cases its favorable to move the seatpost more forward as it opens the hip angle and allow more agressive position on the bike but the current geometries prevents it due to rules about minimal seat setback from BB. If the seat tube angle would be changed it would require other changes, longer reach and perhaps even lower stack of the frame.
That just ends up being a TT bike with dropbars on though...

I'm thinking more like some extreme frame design like the Hope track bike forks matched with a sort of Cervelo P3X frame, maybe some fairings to cover the discs etc.

Some wild Frankenbike

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:08 am
by KyleH
Knightyboy27 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:02 am

That just ends up being a TT bike with dropbars on though...

I'm thinking more like some extreme frame design like the Hope track bike forks matched with a sort of Cervelo P3X frame, maybe some fairings to cover the discs etc.

Some wild Frankenbike
Yeah but 2 years ago they announced their UCI illegal Shiv tri bike. I don't see beam bikes catching on in the road segment and it seems so soon yet to replace the Shiv.

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:36 am
by madik
Knightyboy27 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:02 am
madik wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:22 am
Does it make sense to change the geometry of the bike that would be otherwice not possible under UCI rules? I can think mostly about seat tube angle which could be higher and therefor move the seat horizontaly closer to BB. In many cases its favorable to move the seatpost more forward as it opens the hip angle and allow more agressive position on the bike but the current geometries prevents it due to rules about minimal seat setback from BB. If the seat tube angle would be changed it would require other changes, longer reach and perhaps even lower stack of the frame.
That just ends up being a TT bike with dropbars on though...

I'm thinking more like some extreme frame design like the Hope track bike forks matched with a sort of Cervelo P3X frame, maybe some fairings to cover the discs etc.

Some wild Frankenbike
Sure it will be closer to a TT bike but the change does not have to be big. Just a small move of the saddle is opening the hip angle quite a bit. But since most of the drag is from the rider then it makes sense to move the rider more forward and lower to improve the overall drag and allow more power to the pedals. Position on the bike also have to be sunstainable and the rear/front weight balance can't change by a huge margin. So I would think the seat tube angle could change lets say from 73.5 (56 Venge) to 74,5 or something similar and keep some seatpost offset to increase compliancy.

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:42 am
by robeambro
Knightyboy27 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:52 am
FactoryMatt wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:46 am
Cyclingtips sl7 podcast is interesting. The spesh engineers are mum on it. They know something.
I'll take a listen later, but there's an interesting quote in the Cyclingtips review of the SL7

“So currently the Venge in our line right now does not meet much of a need for that rider looking for the performance product.”

Sounds like they've left an opening for something new, and the author even mentions that in their final thoughts.
What a pile of turd.. Doesn't meet the needs.. It's basically the same bike with 100g more weight and an inch more aero. What a bunch of marketing clowns.

Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:17 pm
by Nefarious86
MyM3Coupe wrote:You left out another piece of crap Asian open mold frame with dropped seat stays. I'm in such suspense. Lolz
So edgy ....

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk


Re: 2020 UCI Illegal Specialized

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:17 pm
by Weenie