2020 Aethos. Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
27%
More aero than the Venge
16%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
40%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
12%
Not sure
6%

Total votes: 240

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:23 am
You mean my build?
Yes I meant your build. Sorry I wasn't more clear. There's also another bike with long seat post just like yours.

by Weenie

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:56 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
You mean my build?
Yes I meant your build. Sorry I wasn't more clear. There's also another bike with long seat post just like yours.
It is a 58 frame with 82cm saddle height. Nothing outlandish really. Also, I like the look of a long seat post and a slammed stem (next thing on the list).
Cervélo S5 Disc (2019) - 7.8kg
Open WI.DE (2019) - 8.5kg
Specialized Shiv TT Disc (2020) - 7.9kg
Specialized SW Æthos (2021) 6.4kg
Trek Émonda SLR9 (2021) 6.9kg

*all weights include pedals, computer mounts, speed sensor, and bottle cages.

pmprego

by pmprego

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:38 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:
You mean my build?
It is a 58 frame with 82cm saddle height. Nothing outlandish really. Also, I like the look of a long seat post and a slammed stem (next thing on the list).
why ber saddle and thm stem but heavy sram axs

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

pmprego wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:09 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:38 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:
You mean my build?
why ber saddle and thm stem but heavy sram axs
I like SRAM AXS and it is on all my bikes. If I wanted to go super light, I wouldn't have deep wheels either... or a disc brake bike...
Cervélo S5 Disc (2019) - 7.8kg
Open WI.DE (2019) - 8.5kg
Specialized Shiv TT Disc (2020) - 7.9kg
Specialized SW Æthos (2021) 6.4kg
Trek Émonda SLR9 (2021) 6.9kg

*all weights include pedals, computer mounts, speed sensor, and bottle cages.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

That saddle just looks so exposed on the bike. It could be just an optical illusion by the camera.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Perfectly smooth and nice inside.

Ax-lightness VIAL evo 3,89kg - sold

Lightweight Urgestalt Disc 6,86kg - sold

Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL6 Ultralight 6,16kg - sold

Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL7 6,93kg

Specialized S-Works Aethos 571g

maquisard

by maquisard

Wow, that is very clean inside. Have never seen a frame quite as nice as that inside.

Ringo

by Ringo

I’m So pleased that a big player like specialized flipped the script and brought back the classic and proven design of a road bike as we knew it before the proprietary stuff and short seat stays.
As for the weight I have one criticism: the weight of the frame is one thing and the weight of the whole build is another! You have to pay top dollar to have a real weight weenie.
I’m happy cause it looks like a titanium bike and my passoni xxti is relevant as a color way and also as a classic design! (Mine looks like more futuristic actually!)
I don’t like disk brakes on it.
Specialized managed to sell a 2010 design as the “solution”... that’s marketing!
The price is ridiculous for a mass produced bike from China which costs 200€ to make.
Buy a bespoke bike from English, moots, passoni, firefly speedvagen if you want to feel special.
Or buy the previous cannondale super six evo. It’s almost the same and cost less!

micky

by micky

Marketing has a cost as well and Specialized spend a lot on it.

@Ringo; Where can I see your XXTi?

maquisard

by maquisard

Ringo wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:21 am
I’m happy cause it looks like a titanium bike and my passoni xxti is relevant as a color way and also as a classic design! (Mine looks like more futuristic actually!)
Specialized managed to sell a 2010 design as the “solution”... that’s marketing!
The price is ridiculous for a mass produced bike from China which costs 200€ to make.
Buy a bespoke bike from English, moots, passoni, firefly speedvagen if you want to feel special.
Or buy the previous cannondale super six evo. It’s almost the same and cost less!
The same tired old arguments...

If you look at the photos of this frame posted by members, how clean it is internally and the complex lay-up. It costs more than 200€ to make. It is not a 2010 design, it is obviously different and is stiffer, lighter and uses disc brakes. With a bike this light more money needs to be spent on QA to ensure less voids etc.

Indeed, "buy a bespoke bike from English, moots, passoni, firefly speedvagen if you want to feel special" safe in the knowledge that you are doing the QA for the artisan builder and testing the design in the field. They cannot afford proper fatigue testing to destruction and NDT on production units. That will indeed make you feed special.

At end of the day, if you do not like the bike, do not buy it, but no need to post your insecurities on this forum.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

maquisard wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:10 am
Ringo wrote:

If you look at the photos of this frame posted by members, how clean it is internally and the complex lay-up. It costs more than 200€ to make. It is not a 2010 design, it is obviously different and is stiffer, lighter and uses disc brakes. With a bike this light more money needs to be spent on QA to ensure less voids etc.

Indeed, "buy a bespoke bike from English, moots, passoni, firefly speedvagen if you want to feel special" safe in the knowledge that you are doing the QA for the artisan builder and testing the design in the field. They cannot afford proper fatigue testing to destruction and NDT on production units. That will indeed make you feed special.

At end of the day, if you do not like the bike, do not buy it, but no need to post your insecurities on this forum.
This.
Ax-lightness VIAL evo 3,89kg - sold

Lightweight Urgestalt Disc 6,86kg - sold

Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL6 Ultralight 6,16kg - sold

Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL7 6,93kg

Specialized S-Works Aethos 571g

robeambro

by robeambro

maquisard wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:10 am
Ringo wrote:

I agree on most arguments - however, bespoke builders are usually not pushing the boundaries of the material in terms of how light/stiff it can be, so I would say it's not fair to say that you're doing QA on the field for them..

maquisard

by maquisard

True, not true of most, but true of some

by Weenie

Ringo

by Ringo

Wow guys don’t shoot the messenger!!!
If a month ago someone told you that he will buy a mass produced carbon bike from Asia, which costs 12000$, with no aero, no proprietary parts, no short seat stays, threaded bb and a standar plain design, you will consider him a loser!
If you think that artisans lack QC and RnD go buy an old supersix evo with lightweights and sram etap and darimo parts. Cannondale is a proven bike with a realistic price for a frame made from a cookie cutter in China.
No insecurities at all. It’s just funny that some of you in one day adopted the new norm and try to convince yourselves that that’s the right thing to buy.
Also about the clean carbon inside layout:spec, giant, trek, Merida and all big players had no voids on their frames way back. See some videos from lucher teknik. The quality construction isn’t something that aethos brought to the table just now!
Remember how marketing works: today’s solution is tomorrow’s problem.
The circle has closed and started again!
Enjoy your bikes gentlemen and accept that there are some painful truths.
I declare victim of hype too!

Ps. As far as QC lets see what happens in the real world with real 70-90 Kgr riders and not 60 kgr ! We know a lot of trek emonda which went for warranty, a lot of bmc which were recalled etc.
Last edited by Ringo on Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.