2020 Aethos. Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
27%
More aero than the Venge
17%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
38%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
12%
Not sure
6%

Total votes: 222

rides4beer

by rides4beer

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:25 pm
been said a thousand times in this thread already... illegal in terms of total weight, not anything else. Which quite a few bikes can do..so nothing special in that regard. Maybe the op can change the title of the thread (or a mod)
Still doesn't make sense. If it's not going to be marketed/sold as a race bike, and it will be too light to race legally anyway, then why go through the UCI process?

by Weenie

tortor

by tortor

rides4beer wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:32 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
been said a thousand times in this thread already... illegal in terms of total weight, not anything else. Which quite a few bikes can do..so nothing special in that regard. Maybe the op can change the title of the thread (or a mod)
Still doesn't make sense. If it's not going to be marketed/sold as a race bike, and it will be too light to race legally anyway, then why go through the UCI process?
When climbing, SL7 and AETHOS, build at same 6.8kg, will have a completely different behaviour.
Who knows if UCI will or not change minium weight limit for 2021 :-)

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Two 6.8kg bikes are going to behave completely differently on a climb?
Cervélo S5 Disc (2019) - 7.8kg
Open Cycles WI.DE (2019) - 8.5kg
Specialized Shiv TT Disc (2020) - 7.9kg
Specialized SW Roubaix Team (2020) - 7.3kg (successor — SOON —)

*all weights include pedals, computer mounts, and bottle cages.

tortor

by tortor

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:53 pm
Two 6.8kg bikes are going to behave completely differently on a climb?
Yes, depending on stiffness. Weight is not all. You can compare an SL6 with an SL7 with same alpinist wheels. Same weight but behaviour is different. For climbing SL6 is better.
Aethos build will also be used in mass mountain races like Granfondo Marmotte in french alps. I've never seen weight controls of bikes in these races.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

So how do you know either of the two is stiffer, yet?
Cervélo S5 Disc (2019) - 7.8kg
Open Cycles WI.DE (2019) - 8.5kg
Specialized Shiv TT Disc (2020) - 7.9kg
Specialized SW Roubaix Team (2020) - 7.3kg (successor — SOON —)

*all weights include pedals, computer mounts, and bottle cages.

tortor

by tortor

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:53 pm
So how do you know either of the two is stiffer, yet?
Between sl6 and 7 this is well known.
For Aethos I know a person who have tried it some days ago

Unniti

by Unniti

rides4beer wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:
Because the cost to Specialized is negligible. And by doing that you don't end up in a scenario where someone who has bought one doesn't get to race a national championship race on it. Weight can be easily added. Most of the lightweight rim brake bikes can easily be built under the limit. Even quite a bit of disc brake bikes can be built under the limit. It means nothing, what matters is how much it is in the weigh in. Have a lightweight bike that you want to ride in an UCI race, put on some beefier bottle cages, heavier saddle, and aluminium bars and it's suddenly legal.

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Unniti wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm
rides4beer wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:
Because the cost to Specialized is negligible. And by doing that you don't end up in a scenario where someone who has bought one doesn't get to race a national championship race on it. Weight can be easily added. Most of the lightweight rim brake bikes can easily be built under the limit. Even quite a bit of disc brake bikes can be built under the limit. It means nothing, what matters is how much it is in the weigh in. Have a lightweight bike that you want to ride in an UCI race, put on some beefier bottle cages, heavier saddle, and aluminium bars and it's suddenly legal.
Let's not forget, the UCI may reduce the weight limit, at that point I'm sure they'll have racers want to be on the Atheos in the future.

gurk700

by gurk700

I find it funny that people seem to think teams are unable to get a lower weight bike because of their frame weight or whatever.
They have sponsorships. If their sponsor brand doesn't make lightweight parts, they'll end up heavy. Simple as that.

And on the flip side, "UCI ILLEGAL" is marketing. add ballasts to it and race it. Many teams did it with their bikes over the years. From wayyyy earlier years.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

gurk700 wrote:I find it funny that people seem to think teams are unable to get a lower weight bike because of their frame weight or whatever.
They have sponsorships. If their sponsor brand doesn't make lightweight parts, they'll end up heavy. Simple as that.

And on the flip side, "UCI ILLEGAL" is marketing. add ballasts to it and race it. Many teams did it with their bikes over the years. From wayyyy earlier years.
And all the integration over the years doesn’t help with the weight

gwerziou

by gwerziou

See if this link works. I take it this is the new bike? https://postlmg.cc/SYfTYmGS

pedalstriker

by pedalstriker

This bike feels like a visual successor to the SL5. I like the traditional shape of it more than I care to admit.

I'm curious whether they will use this frame across the lineup (a la the Tarmac), of if they keep as a super lightweight, $10K+ halo bike only?

1llum4

by 1llum4

Will depend on market region but I heard atleast 4 model:
S-Works with DA 9170 Di2 and Alpinist CLX
Pro with Force AXS or Ultegra 8070 Di2 and Alpinist CL
Expert with Ultegra 8070 Di2 and SLX24

Both the Pro and expert have the 10r frame that supposedly weight 690g with paint.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Will there be a frameset option?

by Weenie

billendk

by billendk

Yes there wil be a frameset option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro