2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 316

okx

by okx

EvanT wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:41 pm
Here's a picture. The build is not done yet as I am still waiting on a front derailleur and the 160mm front rotor.

Frameset: Aethos Pro in Satin Carbon/Flake Silver size 54
Groupset: Campy Chorus 12 speed
Wheels: Bora WTO 45
Stem/Handlebars: Zipp Service Course SL

Chorus 12 and Bora WTOs are not exactly the lightest choices, so this won't be a super light build. The frame weighed 705 grams and the uncut fork was 328 grams. I expect to come in right around 7kg once it's done, including a pair of Favero Assioma Duo pedals.

Hey,
have you finished your build? what's total weight?
And where did you ordered Campy rear brake caliper?
At the moment I have full campy groupset but with 160 in front and rear, so I would need two 140 calipers...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

Very interesting insights from Asgreen, also re wheels

spartan

by spartan

very naive statements. reality. specialized is not happy with the sales volume of the aethos. solution quickstep rider ride it in the tour.
previous narrative from specialized marketing aero matter even in a group. yeah google the wintunnel videos. bs marketing. but it works @Maddie bought it.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

pmprego

by pmprego

spartan wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:24 pm
very naive statements. reality. specialized is not happy with the sales volume of the aethos. solution quickstep rider ride it in the tour.
previous narrative from specialized marketing aero matter even in a group. yeah google the wintunnel videos. bs marketing. but it works @Maddie bought it.
Given your list of bikes I don't see how you're that different but let's refocus on the Aethos and people's builds. That's way more interesting

maquisard

by maquisard

spartan wrote:
specialized is not happy with the sales volume of the aethos.
Most bikes including the Aethos are sold out at present, Specialized will have no trouble selling any bike they have components to build it with.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

maquisard wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:45 pm
spartan wrote:
Most bikes including the Aethos are sold out at present, Specialized will have no trouble selling any bike they have components to build it with.
Not in our country. Aethos are in stock in most colors and sizes. SL7 is the opposite, all sold out.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

maquisard wrote:
spartan wrote:
You invest in developing a new bike model with a ~4 year lifespan in mind and the covid boom won't last forever. Yes, the current ones will sell out, but even now the Aethos is not selling anywhere near as fast as the SL7. It makes sense for them to think about how better to push it now with an eye on what will happen when the market settles down.

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

pmprego wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:41 pm
spartan wrote:
Given your list of bikes I don't see how you're that different but let's refocus on the Aethos and people's builds. That's way more interesting
I agree, but perhaps relevant is how much more aero the sl7 is vs an aethos with equally specced aero components. If specialized would do some testing, Kasper might decide it's worth riding an aethos all the time.

pmprego

by pmprego

RideRunSwim wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:40 am
pmprego wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:41 pm
spartan wrote:
I agree, but perhaps relevant is how much more aero the sl7 is vs an aethos with equally specced aero components. If specialized would do some testing, Kasper might decide it's worth riding an aethos all the time.
The norcal guy did mention something close to what you suggest when he did a video comparing the sl7 with an entry level specialized. Or the Rapides.

In that he mention that the Aethos, with the same wheels as the sl7 (and most likely round bar - not aero bars like the aerofly) was 99% as fast as the sl7 on their loop.

I doubt asgreen would lose Flanders would he picked the Aethos.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I have both SL7 and Aethos. I prefer the SL7 for racing. I sold the latter

tjvirden

by tjvirden

pmprego wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:41 am
The norcal guy did mention something close to what you suggest when he did a video comparing the sl7 with an entry level specialized. Or the Rapides.

In that he mention that the Aethos, with the same wheels as the sl7 (and most likely round bar - not aero bars like the aerofly) was 99% as fast as the sl7 on their loop.

I doubt asgreen would lose Flanders would he picked the Aethos.
I think this is an interesting point for discussion. From the "numbers" * that I can find, it really is difficult for me to imagine that there could be more than about a 1% difference in total power needed between the SL7 and Aethos and I think that typically the average on a ride will be much less or statistically insignificant.

However, looking at the margins of victory in some of these races that 1% really might make the difference, sometimes. For road biking, frame aerodynamics is a small marginal change. I put the word 'small' in carefully, since wheels can, on occasion, make 5 or possibly 10 times as much difference - still marginal, but perhaps an order of magnitude different.

Even for people not racing, getting the best out of 7000 KJ, or even 10000 KJ work done, should result in a noticeable difference, literally at the end of the day!

For me, I'm thinking about an Aethos - I'm pretty sure it is the disc-brake replacement for my Lemond Triomphe Ultimate frame from 2008, a frame which is just wonderful for all-day riding up and down at my ~75Kg.

*[any sort of number, including from a wind tunnel test, is only as good as the estimate of its spread/error!]

okx

by okx

simbikotic wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:09 am
Noro wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:01 pm

The bike without cutting the fork, with Ultegra pedals, and quick-mount and all these changes came in 7.45 Kg.
I think you can make some good progress here. Mine comes in at 7.0 Kg with frame size 54 and the WTO45s. Obviously the 33s are lighter and the 52 frame may be a few grammes lighter too - depending on your paint. Not sure how the other components stack up, but guessing sub 7 could be on with the 33s and a few more small tweaks.
Which brake calipers you have used?
Does stock brake caliper fit's in front?

simbikotic

by simbikotic

okx wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:01 pm
simbikotic wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:09 am
Noro wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:01 pm

The bike without cutting the fork, with Ultegra pedals, and quick-mount and all these changes came in 7.45 Kg.
I think you can make some good progress here. Mine comes in at 7.0 Kg with frame size 54 and the WTO45s. Obviously the 33s are lighter and the 52 frame may be a few grammes lighter too - depending on your paint. Not sure how the other components stack up, but guessing sub 7 could be on with the 33s and a few more small tweaks.
Which brake calipers you have used?
Does stock brake caliper fit's in front?
Hi! I used a 140mm flat mount caliper on the front (you can mount it to the custom mount plate that ships with the frame) and a 160mm flat mount rear caliper. I have 160mm discs front and rear.

A full summary of the issues for those interested:

The Aethos front fork has a non-standard mounting so they ship it with a custom mounting plate. Shimano/Sram calipers are all sized for 140mm flat mount and provide adapter plates for use with 160mm. If you are fitting Shimano/Sram you simply discard the provided adapter plate on the front and use the Aethos one instead. This means you cannot actually use a 140mm disc on the Aethos fork at all (unless perhaps you get very handy and make your own homebrew mount).

The Campag 140mm caliper has the same mounting thread position as the Shimano/Sram calipers (without the adapter plate) so can be used on the front fork just fine. The Campag 160mm calipers are designed to be mounted without the need for an adaptor plate, which is nice and all - until a frame maker does this kind of thing.

The lesson I learned: Next time I impulse buy a Campag groupset (without a frame in mind) because the price on Merlin is so good, I will get 140mm because you can always adapt 140->160 not the other way.

dsk28

by dsk28

ome rodriguez wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:54 pm
maquisard wrote:
spartan wrote:
Not in our country. Aethos are in stock in most colors and sizes. SL7 is the opposite, all sold out.
Same situation in our country.
A couple Aethos available at the dealer, no SL7.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com