2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 317

pmprego

by pmprego

Vincentsmoox wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:44 am
Hi

What wheelset you guys use oN aethos?
For all rounder mixing flat and hilly area
Sometimes strong wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you can't go wrong with the alpinist which is at an awesome price if you live in the uk

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Alpinist are likely to be updated soon (as the rapide CLX Tubeless are being Seen frequently in the pro tour).
The Alpinist are probably bomb proof, but not as light as Extralite or Lightbicycle, and pretty shallow and V-shaped.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

I am going to have a set of Farsports Feder 35mm hooked built up with Extralite SPD3 hubs and laced with Berd spokes. Should come in around 1080-1100g and cost about $2k less than the Extralite 339 build.

Rims just got shipped today! Hubs have been sitting in limbo somehwere for two weeks. :cry:

pmprego

by pmprego

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:47 am
Alpinist are likely to be updated soon (as the rapide CLX Tubeless are being Seen frequently in the pro tour).
The Alpinist are probably bomb proof, but not as light as Extralite or Lightbicycle, and pretty shallow and V-shaped.
I know but for €1.5k the set is probably the best value for money right now. IF one lives in the UK. If I'd try to import them, there would go the value of it.

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

I would argue that the Farsports Feder R230 is the best value for the money.

Ultra Light Weight Tubeless: 25mm Hookless with Sapim Super Cx = 1010g for $1160. Might get lucky and get light rims and go sub 1kg

Somewhat Aero Tubeless: 35mm Hookless with Sapim Super Cx = 1090g for $1175

Clincher and Tubeless Slight Aero: 35mm hooked with Sapim Super Cx = 1130g for $1135

All sets lighter than Alpinest CLX and roughly $400-500 cheaper than the CL. 35mm version are 2mm deeper so will save you soooooo many watts.

takolino

by takolino

Stans Grail CB7 with Extralite SPD3 and Berd Spokes with no issues over a year. 941g with rim tape. I have a set with Aerolites that weigh 1028g with tape. Hookless so not compatible with all tires. Expensive compared to the Feders.

Those Ultralight Feder wheels sound attractive.
Curious about the CX Supers. How are they holding up long term? How much weight do you save vs CX Rays or Aerolites? Any issues with the loose fit in the hubs? Perhaps the Farsports hubs are specially drilled for them. Triplet laced so you don't need as many spokes but center lock hubs so you add weight on the roters. What about the quality and longevity of the RD230 hubs?

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

I haven't gotten my set yet. Got the 55mm Feder with R230 for my Aeroad. Should come in at 1330g
I was running centerlock anyways so still going to save about 350g with just wheels and then swap in some lightweight tubes and I will probably shave a lb

If you head to the Farsports thread page it seems that there hasn't been any issues with the hubs or spokes. Savings over regular X-ray is about 20-30g

I almost went your build of Grail CB7, but it is pricey, not aero, out of stock. :noidea:

So my lightweight build is the Feder 35mm hooked with Berd and Xtralite. Can run any tire, slightly aero and relatively cheap.

You could also just get a Farsports build of Feder/Extralite/cx-super and still be way cheaper than Roval and much lighter

andreas

by andreas

Looking for a more lightweight handlebar/stem for my Aethos Expert, after I dial in on whether I should use 120 or 130mm stem. How are people's experiences with the Alpinist handlebar, I'm kinda sceptical to a 130mm one-piece carbon handlebar/stem? Better to go with individual components?

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

I have a 100mm Alpinist Cockpit and it is great. Finding a computer mount was a challenge though but I did find one and am all set.
Just make sure you get the right size :)

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

andreas wrote:Looking for a more lightweight handlebar/stem for my Aethos Expert, after I dial in on whether I should use 120 or 130mm stem. How are people's experiences with the Alpinist handlebar, I'm kinda sceptical to a 130mm one-piece carbon handlebar/stem? Better to go with individual components?
I dont like the tube shape, too round.
Extralite stem is good enough for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolfo

by rolfo

Hi,

Sizing question.
It seems I fall between a 54cm and 56cm size Aethos, as I'm 175cm.
The bikeshop advised a 56 size, as "the Aethos runs short".

I currently have a Canyon Ultimate SLX in size small, which has exactly the same stack and reach as the 54 Aethos.

As the 54cm Aethos has a steeper headangle and a shorter wheelbase, will it run more nervous than my current Canyon?
I'm not look for an even more nervous bike, but would love to check out the aethos ;-)

Any thoughts or experience?

robeambro

by robeambro

rolfo wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:12 pm
Hi,

Sizing question.

I currently have a Canyon Ultimate SLX in size small, which has exactly the same stack and reach as the 54 Aethos.

As the 54cm Aethos has a steeper headangle and a shorter wheelbase, will it run more nervous than my current Canyon?
I'm not look for an even more nervous bike, but would love to check out the aethos ;-)

The LBS statement sounds like a typical uninformed old-school shop owner. :roll:

In theory, yes, steeper head angle and shorter wheelbase would lead to a snappier ride. Anecdotally, I have a friend who went from an XS Ultimate to an SL6 Disc (which in theory shares its geometry with the Aethos) and found it more nervous.

I myself don't find mine nervous at all, but I also run 30mm GP5000S which probably tame the handling a bit when compared to narrower tyres. That said, I don't think the Aethos would be something I'd define nervous at all, but I can't explain why that is the case. It surely descends better than other bikes I've owned.

rolfo

by rolfo

robeambro wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:22 pm
rolfo wrote:
Hi,

Sizing question.

The LBS statement sounds like a typical uninformed old-school shop owner. :roll:

In theory, yes, steeper head angle and shorter wheelbase would lead to a snappier ride. Anecdotally, I have a friend who went from an XS Ultimate to an SL6 Disc (which in theory shares its geometry with the Aethos) and found it more nervous.

I myself don't find mine nervous at all, but I also run 30mm GP5000S which probably tame the handling a bit when compared to narrower tyres. That said, I don't think the Aethos would be something I'd define nervous at all, but I can't explain why that is the case. It surely descends better than other bikes I've owned.
Thanks! Helpfull, I was indeed affraid it would descent less stable as my Canyon (which isn't such a great descender ;-)

pmprego

by pmprego

rolfo wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:04 pm
robeambro wrote:
rolfo wrote:
Hi,

Sizing question.

Thanks! Helpfull, I was indeed affraid it would descent less stable as my Canyon (which isn't such a great descender ;-)
175cm and a size 56?!?! OMG!! With that height, many run a 52. Even spesh recommends 56 for people around 180cm.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

pmprego wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:17 pm
rolfo wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:04 pm
robeambro wrote:
rolfo wrote:
Hi,

Sizing question.

175cm and a size 56?!?! OMG!! With that height, many run a 52. Even spesh recommends 56 for people around 180cm.
Yep. What @pmprego said. I am 176cm. I ride the 54cm and it is perfect for me. I can also ride a 52 comfortably. But 56cm is too big for me, feels sluggish .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com