2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 316

takolino

by takolino

parleez1 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:40 am
Do you know if the Whiskey Parts spacers are the same diameter as the s-works stem? I have to agree the diameter of the spacers provided on my Aethos Pro are
to wide for the stem, I'd also like to find something with the same diameter. Please let me know if either the ceramic speed or Whiskey are the answer, or if there is another brand anyone has found with the same diameter.
Thanks!
The Whisky spacers are around 32.5mm OD, give or take .1mm. I don't have a s-works stem to compare with.

kode54

by kode54

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:35 am
Looks super dope! Great saddle choice ✌🏻

Re seatclamp: I can get a Darimo Sub4, any experience on that? I have seen the one of ROJ snap when tightening it, but his new one seemed to work.
The Omni Racer clamp is similar to the Tune band clamp...

https://www.omniracer.com/product-page/ ... post-clamp
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mschwett

by mschwett

nothing exotic here, an almost stock s works aethos with 12 speed DA. speedplay nano pedals, carbonworks cage, alpinist bar, homebrew 3d printed quad lock phone mount. 14lb ready to roll at 58cm.
Attachments
7D9AB53B-DB28-41C2-AC9F-90E35DE96349.jpeg

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

mschwett wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:03 am
nothing exotic here, an almost stock s works aethos with 12 speed DA. speedplay nano pedals, carbonworks cage, alpinist bar, homebrew 3d printed quad lock phone mount. 14lb ready to roll at 58cm.
Looks great. What colorway is that?

Also did you buy complete or build it up with parts? Was curious if you had the complete bike stem/bar before the alpinist, and how you sized by comparison.
2020 S-Works SL7 - Sagan Collection / Decon Green/Yellow

mschwett

by mschwett

Cpritch20 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:48 pm
mschwett wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:03 am
Looks great. What colorway is that?

Also did you buy complete or build it up with parts? Was curious if you had the complete bike stem/bar before the alpinist, and how you sized by comparison.
it's the carbon / chameleon eyris / chrome foil. i'm honestly not sure where the chameleon eyris part is, it's basically nearly unfinished carbon with a big "S" on the front. virtually no graphics elsewhere. i love the bike, but probably would have preferred just a little more sparkle in the finish. i have a somewhat cheaper specialized bike with a very similar finish, although on that one the carbon layup is a little fugly. not so here, but it's far from an "even" finish.

i bought it complete but put the alpinist bar on before even riding it. test rode a 58 with the stock bar in last years groupset and color (the gold-ish one) but i really wanted 12 speed DA. i have an alpinist bar on another bike so i sort of extrapolated. i'm guessing i could also comfortably ride the 110 stem alpinist on this bike. the other bike is a little bigger. someday i might swap it out but that's the big disadvantage of the one piece cockpit, obviously. looks and feels great though!

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

Thanks for confirming the color. I've been considering the other colorway of the DA 12 complete bike (grayish silver, with hints of blue/green depending on the viewing angle). I know the Aethos paint schemes have been a bit polarizing, with some people loving them and other's hating the lighter, gradient/wispier colors.
I ride a 54 in the SL7, so I was planning on the same size, and swapping to the Alpinist bar as well. Based on your bike size, I should be able to keep it under 14lbs.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

robeambro wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:10 pm
In all seriousness, I have a very stupid question. Does anybody know whether there's any aftermarket headset top cap that is shorter than the 10mm stock one? I am as slammed as I can be and would like to get a few mm's lower - I have a 7deg stem which I'd rather not change.
Slamthatstem.com

mschwett

by mschwett

Cpritch20 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:23 pm
Thanks for confirming the color. I've been considering the other colorway of the DA 12 complete bike (grayish silver, with hints of blue/green depending on the viewing angle). I know the Aethos paint schemes have been a bit polarizing, with some people loving them and other's hating the lighter, gradient/wispier colors.
I ride a 54 in the SL7, so I was planning on the same size, and swapping to the Alpinist bar as well. Based on your bike size, I should be able to keep it under 14lbs.
I've seen that other color and really liked it. Personally I think it would go better with black tires. It's a very unique color and suits the lines of the bike IMO. The graphics on the front are also nicer than the big S.

Assuming light pedals and no heavy accesssories it ought to be under 14 in either colorway on 54. I doubt the other paint adds much, the smaller frame must be a bit lighter, and I also swapped the rear cassette to the 11-34.

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

Agree, I know gum walls are all the rage, but I've had 2 bikes that came with them that I swapped to black before I took delivery.

marsrides

by marsrides

Boom, done.Image

aprivat

by aprivat

Hi,

Despite my local bikeshop struggling with supply chain issues, I managed to buy an S-Works Aethos last year in November.

As we had the first real spring day today, I took it out for a first ride this afternoon. I must say that it was a real joy to ride. I have owned a number of bikes over the last 5 - 6 years (SW Tarmac, SW Venge, Emonda, Madone etc.) which have all been fantastic bikes but I truly enjoyed the Aethos. It felt very lively and quick in the good way.

As i live in a flat/hilly area, I swapped the Alpinist wheels with the Rapide Wheels. This is probably part of the reason why I thought it was surprisingly good at keeping speed at flat parts of my ride.

My Madone may still be faster when it comes to straightline riding but it was not something I thought about today. What I thought about was, however, how light it felt going uphill.

And I know that it is a very subjective thing but I think it looks absolutely fantastic.

Just wanted to share this (great) experience.
Attachments
0531A1FB-BF96-4D59-9547-0D4760197003.jpeg
D91488F7-FD72-4CE5-8667-45BAEE8D52AE.jpeg
Cannondale Lab71 (2023)
S-Works Tarmac SL8 (2023)
Trek Domane Koppenberg (2014)
Specialized S-Works Crux (2021)

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

marsrides wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:22 pm
Boom, done.Image
Wow. Incredibly light. 1x for hill climbing?
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

aprivat wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:38 pm
Hi,

Despite my local bikeshop struggling with supply chain issues, I managed to buy an S-Works Aethos last year in November.

As we had the first real spring day today, I took it out for a first ride this afternoon. I must say that it was a real joy to ride. I have owned a number of bikes over the last 5 - 6 years (SW Tarmac, SW Venge, Emonda, Madone etc.) which have all been fantastic bikes but I truly enjoyed the Aethos. It felt very lively and quick in the good way.

As i live in a flat/hilly area, I swapped the Alpinist wheels with the Rapide Wheels. This is probably part of the reason why I thought it was surprisingly good at keeping speed at flat parts of my ride.

My Madone may still be faster when it comes to straightline riding but it was not something I thought about today. What I thought about was, however, how light it felt going uphill.

And I know that it is a very subjective thing but I think it looks absolutely fantastic.

Just wanted to share this (great) experience.
I had the same ride impression coming from a Venge to my Aethos w/Rapides. Noticeable decrease in holding speed but accelerates quickly and wants to climb. Love the bronze foil paint !

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

RockC

by RockC

Not the best picture but happy with how my wife's Aethos turned out. Right at 15.4 pounds w/ pedals. The new Maroon/Black Tint color is unreal in person!

-22' 10r frameset
-Red AXS eTap w/ power
-Enve SES 3.4 AR Wheelset w/ ENVE SES tires (28mm)
-Alpinest seatpost w/ power saddle
-s-works road bars
414028BF-0188-457C-B063-7403839E4A9B.jpeg
Last edited by RockC on Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Velosheriff

by Velosheriff

Looking for a dual sided power meter for my aethos
Does this fit?
https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/specialize ... lsrc=aw.ds

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com