2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 316

pmprego

by pmprego

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:55 am
Lol, not quite so bad. Sorry for my poor choice of words. The "prothesis" is a carbon fiber string("Tight Rope"), that replaces my torn ligaments in the AC joint (where collarbone and shoulder joint meet). It's not a prosthesis in the classical sense.
It will keep everything in its place until the ligaments have regrown and will stay with me forever.
You've to stop that carbon obsession, seriously! :mrgreen:

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Titanium also. I hope it saves a few grams over flesh-based ligaments 😅
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

😂😂 glad to hear it is not more serious! Interesting that after that you would still buy another Aethos and not try something new
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

pmprego

by pmprego

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:08 am
Titanium also. I hope it saves a few grams over flesh-based ligaments 😅
:up:

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Klaster_1 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:35 am
yourrealdad wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:52 am
Not to shabby for costing about $3k less than a stock s-works. Still way too expensive, but it was a joy to ride today. Put some 28mm or 30mm GP5000 S TR on and I imagine this thing is like a cloud.
Nice build, my Aethos had the same paint scheme until it was stripped :D Had to take off my 185g Grand Bois due to high amount of punctures, Gillards should probably be even more fragile, how did you find them? Very nice wheelset weight, although sad to see it paired with heavy rim tape, I found holeless rim bed super practical to use.
I looked at your build while I was making mine. Your bike also started off lighter even for size difference as did most. I kinda had a porker of a fork, but I love the paint job and didn't want to go all in WW. Most of my parts are easily accessible and "affordable" 😥. Minus the seatpost, that was my boutique part.

The wheels are awesome so far, but I have no idea what happened with the rim tape. Two passes of Stans should be about 10-14g each wheel. It was more than that, but I think something was off.

If I go tubeless then theoretically I can wrap them with one pass of tape.

The Gillars seem good, very tacky at least to start out. Little bits sticking to them. They have a puncture strip in them so don't see why they would be fragile?

A little short term update: they don't seem to stretch much. 80km on them and about 5 days on inflation and they are sitting at 25.5mm on 21mm rims. Was hoping they were going to go the GP5000 route. Hopefully they stretch some more.

I ordered them through From Japan.

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Installed a THM frontale combo bar today. My local shop had a great deal on the exact size I wanted. It doesn’t feel as ‘skinny’ in the hand as the Alpinist cockpit. Aethos now sits at 5.7kg as pictured sans pedals.
I’m now considering putting the Alpinist cockpit onto an Aspero. Has anyone tried this on a gravel bike? The bar is nice and stiff and I’m not a heavy rider. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petz

by Petz

Hi guys!
Since I am considering an Aethos (non S-works) frame for my next build, I am looking for information about compatibility with mechanical disc brakes.
While reading through this thread, I found some statements about incompatibility with certain hydraulic but cable activated brakes (think it was juintech?).

But does anyone here use (or tried) TRP Spyres? I have used them on my gravel bike some time ago and found them quite ok, so for "road-only" use I guess they are more than enough for me.

Thanks!

pmprego

by pmprego

Petz wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:15 pm
Hi guys!
Since I am considering an Aethos (non S-works) frame for my next build, I am looking for information about compatibility with mechanical disc brakes.
While reading through this thread, I found some statements about incompatibility with certain hydraulic but cable activated brakes (think it was juintech?).

But does anyone here use (or tried) TRP Spyres? I have used them on my gravel bike some time ago and found them quite ok, so for "road-only" use I guess they are more than enough for me.

Thanks!
As long as they don't need their own plate to attach to the frame, it should be okay.

ccie6872

by ccie6872

Turrifik wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:30 pm
Installed a THM frontale combo bar today. My local shop had a great deal on the exact size I wanted. It doesn’t feel as ‘skinny’ in the hand as the Alpinist cockpit. Aethos now sits at 5.7kg as pictured sans pedals.
I’m now considering putting the Alpinist cockpit onto an Aspero. Has anyone tried this on a gravel bike? The bar is nice and stiff and I’m not a heavy rider. Image

nicely done! Is it as stiff as the alpinist (and I agree its too skinny)? I had the Darimo Nexum on my Aethos and swtiched pretty quickly back to the Alpinist since it was to flexy for me.

Turrifik

by Turrifik

I haven’t noticed a difference yet vs Alpinist stiffness. I suspect the added oval cross-section of the Frontale bar helps.

I’ll report back if I eventually notice anything during sprints. I do find the TMR01 bars flexy in comparison to both.

After I removed the Alpinist, I realized how light mine was. 248g including 3D printed mount and hardware. The Frontale is not much lighter unfortunately, but I appreciate the geo improvements for me.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:59 pm
I'll send photos once I have the bike back. The torn ligaments on my collarbone will need surgery asap in Germany and my bike remains in Spain until I find a solution there. Regarding road rash: probably less than possible, but I have road rash everywhere, so it is a lot already :/
Just a little follow-up:

A broken Prevail Vent and a ripped up Drinking Backpack, with a broken mini pump inside are a Goode indication that more could have happened. Both to me and to the bike.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

perplex

by perplex

Just a litte hack for your Aethos

Specialized SL stem with a Future Stem face plate and a mount from the Tarmac SL7 - so you can get rid of the ulgy regular mount.

Face plate SKU: S199900064
Attachments
IMG_4157.jpeg
A Dane relocated to Sydney - and now back in CPH...

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

ccie6872 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:40 pm
nicely done! Is it as stiff as the alpinist (and I agree its too skinny)? I had the Darimo Nexum on my Aethos and swtiched pretty quickly back to the Alpinist since it was to flexy for me.
For Darimo, it's necessary to order the reinforced versions if you plan on doing any serious riding. I made the mistake of buying the standard Ellipse and IX2 for my Aethos and the flex is not confidence inspiring to say the least.

kode54

by kode54

Yes, the standard Ellipse is very flexy and a huge difference from the Easton E100 bars I swapped with. Thinking about swapping back but was looking sir a 38cm width vs. the 40 E100 that Eastons narrowest bars.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Guys, what's the rear caliper bolt length for Aethos, assuming a 140mm rotor spacing? Is it 37mm? First time buying rear direct mount bolts here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com