2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 317

maquisard

by maquisard

Sorry, that sounds nastier than I initially thought. Take care and I hope you get the surgery and wish you a speedy recovery.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:59 pm
I'll send photos once I have the bike back. The torn ligaments on my collarbone will need surgery asap in Germany and my bike remains in Spain until I find a solution there. Regarding road rash: probably less than possible, but I have road rash everywhere, so it is a lot already :/
When I crashed on pavement, I had to go to the emergency burn unit...since the hospital treats road rash in a similar way. Painful. Speedy recovery!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Cheers guys!

Looking forward, specialized is offering me a new frame at a "significant discount".
I have had the jet fuel one now, what is the penalty of going red or gold?
I might be willing to sacrifice a little lightness for blingness!
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

robeambro

by robeambro

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:39 pm
Cheers guys!

Looking forward, specialized is offering me a new frame at a "significant discount".
I have had the jet fuel one now, what is the penalty of going red or gold?
I might be willing to sacrifice a little lightness for blingness!
Sorry to hear about your accident - hopefully it'll be a speedy recovery.

I didn't know there was a gold Aethos?

I have always loved the look of the Founders Edition, the brushed look is also great for those inevitable little scratches that over time start to appear everywhere.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

The sand one with gold logos. I have that same color way in my Tarmac.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

rolfo

by rolfo

Probably discussed a hundred times, but I couldn't find it in the thread..

Is there, becides the weigt and the cable port, a difference between the pro and the S Works Aethos frameset?
For example in riding qualities? I weigh 68kilo, so frame stifness isn't an issue for me.

I found a deal on a S works and a pro frameset, both in pink, that's why ;-)

rjich

by rjich

Specialized don't seem to think there is a difference with the frame behavior. I would guess most of the feedback would be placebo unless real blind tests exist.

So sorry to read about the crash above. I hope you feel better. Ouch

rolfo

by rolfo

rjich wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:35 pm
Specialized don't seem to think there is a difference with the frame behavior. I would guess most of the feedback would be placebo unless real blind tests exist.

So sorry to read about the crash above. I hope you feel better. Ouch
Ok, thanks ;-)

And indeed I hope FlatlandClimber is doing better and already recovered to order a new Aethos.
Get well soon!

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Cheers guys, currently in hospital, recovering from my AC prosthesis being put in place!
No bike riding outdoors for at least 4-6 weeks.

Regarding different paint job weighs:
After having seen the sand and the red color way in person, both are rather uninteresting to me.

These 3 would be the ones I'm looking at:

The redgold was the only one I've found in this thread, weighing in at 641g for the frame in size 54. So some 60g heavier than the bare carbon ones.
That'd probably be some 110g or so more in my size 58.

Does anyone have a point of reference for the blue one? I have not seen it in person and cannot really say if the point job is therefore potentially lighter or heavier than the redgold one.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Can't give you a weight on those frames, but mine is the green/gold flake and it is 666g in size 58 (kinda heavy), but the middle option is clearly the best looking one and worth the weight/wait.

On to my question:

Building up my 58cm S works. I am currently riding an Aeroad CFR in size large. I am trying to get them around the same geo before I cut the fork on the Aethos. I currently have a 5mm spacer removed on the Aeroad, so I can add that back.

Does my geo look alright to you all? Aeroad is left, Aethos is right. One is with the Aethos 10mm cap, the other slammed. Apparently I only like Ae bikes.

Thank you
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.32.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.49.06 PM.png

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 8.23.24 PM.png
Got it built up this weekend.
58cm coming in a 6.11kg with 2 bottle mounts and a chain catcher.

UPS had my Darimo seatpost in my city then couldn't figure out how to deliver it so they sent it back to Spain. Been waiting a month now from when it was shipped. Once that and the Alpitude Gardena are on it will drop about 240g, so should come in around 5.87kg.

Not to shabby for costing about $3k less than a stock s-works. Still way too expensive, but it was a joy to ride today. Put some 28mm or 30mm GP5000 S TR on and I imagine this thing is like a cloud.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

yourrealdad wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:52 am
Not to shabby for costing about $3k less than a stock s-works. Still way too expensive, but it was a joy to ride today. Put some 28mm or 30mm GP5000 S TR on and I imagine this thing is like a cloud.
Nice build, my Aethos had the same paint scheme until it was stripped :D Had to take off my 185g Grand Bois due to high amount of punctures, Gillards should probably be even more fragile, how did you find them? Very nice wheelset weight, although sad to see it paired with heavy rim tape, I found holeless rim bed super practical to use.

rolfo

by rolfo

rolfo wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:04 pm
pmprego wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:13 pm
rolfo wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:17 pm
rolfo wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:12 pm
Hi,

Sizing question.
It seems I fall between a 54cm and 56cm size Aethos, as I'm 175cm.
The bikeshop advised a 56 size, as "the Aethos runs short".

I currently have a Canyon Ultimate SLX in size small, which has exactly the same stack and reach as the 54 Aethos.

As the 54cm Aethos has a steeper headangle and a shorter wheelbase, will it run more nervous than my current Canyon?
I'm not look for an even more nervous bike, but would love to check out the aethos ;-)

Any thoughts or experience?

In this previous topic, I was "advised" to go for a 54cm version and not the 56cm version. Thanks for all responses ;-)
I want to come back to this question as my saddle heigt is 755 mm and with a 54cm size, the seatpost exposure would be 235mm (vs 210mm with a 56 cm).
And a 110stem length (with the 54cm version) vs a 90 stem length (with the 56cm version)...

Seems like a lot of seatpost for a 360mm roval seatpost. Does anyone know the maximum saddle height for a 54cm Specialized aethos? I asume a minimum insert of 100mm for the seatpost? Looks a bit on the edge ;-)

Using your numbers, for a 360mm seatpost and a 100mm minimum, you can have a maximum of 260mm. Given that you said you need 235mm, my question is: are you planning on growing more than 25mm in the future? If not, I don't see why it'd be a bit on the edge :P
I did that calculation already myself, and I won't be growing ;-)
The seatpost has a minimum insertation, I know. But has the frame a minimum insertation? As the crosssection of the toptube and the seattube are about 50mm. I think the seatpost should be inserted beyond that point anyway, just to make shure.

And are there maybe other Aethos riders who have to seatpost that much exposed and how does this work out?
I did recieve my S-works Aethos frameset! I chose to go for an 54cm, but it seems I need a 120mm stem (instead of a 110mm as planned).
Does a 120mm stem have a negative impact on the handing of the bike?

Maybe I can exchange it for a 56cm as I was between sizes ;-)

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:23 am
Cheers guys, currently in hospital, recovering from my AC prosthesis being put in place!
No bike riding outdoors for at least 4-6 weeks.

Regarding different paint job weighs:
After having seen the sand and the red color way in person, both are rather uninteresting to me.

These 3 would be the ones I'm looking at:

The redgold was the only one I've found in this thread, weighing in at 641g for the frame in size 54. So some 60g heavier than the bare carbon ones.
That'd probably be some 110g or so more in my size 58.

Does anyone have a point of reference for the blue one? I have not seen it in person and cannot really say if the point job is therefore potentially lighter or heavier than the redgold one.
AC Prothsesis?! You lost your leg in the accident?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Lol, not quite so bad. Sorry for my poor choice of words. The "prothesis" is a carbon fiber string("Tight Rope"), that replaces my torn ligaments in the AC joint (where collarbone and shoulder joint meet). It's not a prosthesis in the classical sense.
It will keep everything in its place until the ligaments have regrown and will stay with me forever.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com