2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 316

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

marsrides wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:13 pm
RideRunSwim wrote:
marsrides wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:40 pm
Nice bike! Paint job looks similiar to the founders edition.
I wasn’t looking to mimic it. Tried to get a chrome-like look, but it’s very hard…
The founders edition paint has striations to try and make it look like Ti. Yours looks better, like that smooth silver look.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bruno2000

by bruno2000

https://www.theflow.bike/it/p22855_Tela ... os_S-Works

These italian guys are offering nice dicounts on S Works Aethos frame in 2021 colors.
Commanucation very good. Mine should be arriving end of this week.

jwchew

by jwchew

Does anyone know where their S-Works frames are made? What does it say on the sticker of the bike?

Maddie

by Maddie

Taiwan

maquisard

by maquisard

Does it matter? the computer controlled tape laying process used in the Aethos is probably one of the most advanced currently used in composite bike manufacture

jwchew

by jwchew

maquisard wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:28 pm
Does it matter? the computer controlled tape laying process used in the Aethos is probably one of the most advanced currently used in composite bike manufacture
I should have been more specific, I'm only concerned about country of origin because I'm trying to figure out import fees.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

taiwan
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

maquisard wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:28 pm
Different people care about different things.

Even if the item is identical, I'd rather it come from certain places than others. Governments take a cut and I care who gets my money. Do I always have a choice? No. When I do, are any of them perfect? No. But when I have a choice, I'll exercise it.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

The biggest part of the money goes to Specialized and the retailer you buy it from, so you can rest assured, that America gets to spend it on a new fighter jet or something.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

robeambro

by robeambro

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:54 am
The biggest part of the money goes to Specialized and the retailer you buy it from, so you can rest assured, that America gets to spend it on a new fighter jet or something.
FC, since you're here, I have a few questions..

- do you happen to have some pics of your Aethos with deep-ish rims? IIRC you have quite the collection, so I'm sure you'll have put them on at some point. I tried to scavenge the web for some pics but nada. (EDIT: nevermind, find it on page 88! thanks)

- I know it's a silly question but, if you had to do a long cycling event such as the Haute Route (which you may have done), would you reach for the Aethos, or you find the additional comfort vs the Emonda to be a bit of a wash and you'd be completely indifferent between the two? I don't quite expect one to be materially "better" than the other, but I do notice that on rides > 100km I get a bit beat up on the Emonda. Admittedly I don't ride long distances often, but I'd like to next year.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

For something like Haute Route, I go Aethos.
I currently have set up the two bikes, Aethos and Emonda, pretty differently.
Emonda is my all out speed machine, currently running 52/39 chainrings (SRAM AXS), 380mm width bars with no tape on the tops, 858 NSW wheels.
Aethos is set up for climbing and more comfort. 1:1 smallest gear, round bars (420mm), thick bar tape all the way, climbing satilite shifters, wider tires also.

Why the Aethos for HR and not the Emonda? There are few flats on HR, where the Emonda would truly shine, and most descents are neutralized (and I am too shite of a bike handler to really make the most of aero gains on a descent). I figured that a lighter, less aero bike isn't much slower on big Alpine climbs. What however is a big gain on Alpine climbs is added comfort (bars, tape etc) and lower gearing. Especially considering it is over several days.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

robeambro

by robeambro

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:09 am
For something like Haute Route, I go Aethos.
I currently have set up the two bikes, Aethos and Emonda, pretty differently.
Emonda is my all out speed machine, currently running 52/39 chainrings (SRAM AXS), 380mm width bars with no tape on the tops, 858 NSW wheels.
Aethos is set up for climbing and more comfort. 1:1 smallest gear, round bars (420mm), thick bar tape all the way, climbing satilite shifters, wider tires also.

Why the Aethos for HR and not the Emonda? There are few flats on HR, where the Emonda would truly shine, and most descents are neutralized (and I am too shite of a bike handler to really make the most of aero gains on a descent). I figured that a lighter, less aero bike isn't much slower on big Alpine climbs. What however is a big gain on Alpine climbs is added comfort (bars, tape etc) and lower gearing. Especially considering it is over several days.
Thank you. When you said "added comfort" you mentioned bars and tape - if you had set the Emonda up in a less extreme way (e.g. with more comfortable bars and tape, and perhaps slightly shallower wheels) would you still reach out for the Aethos?

From what I gather it seems like you picked the Aethos merely due to its configuration, and I am trying to understand whether you would perceive any frame-related added comfort between the bikes, if they were in the same configuration.

maquisard

by maquisard

Aethos is also easier to travel with due to non-internal brake line routing if you are travelling by air for an event like HR.

robeambro

by robeambro

maquisard wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:45 pm
Aethos is also easier to travel with due to non-internal brake line routing if you are travelling by air for an event like HR.
Yep, fully aware of all of this, and headset maintenance advantages. Silly as it may sound, my only concern is that whilst I want to go for traditional shapes, I am not extremely fond of the sloped top tube, so I am wondering whether the comfort benefit is actually there (which would help me "stomach" the aesthetics -in my view- penalty).

I have asked FlatlandClimber as he has bought and tested different frames and I know he swaps wheels and all that. Not that I don't trust other people, but unfortunately confirmation bias makes me extremely wary. I might get a chance to try an Aethos myself, but it might not be with my own wheels and tyres and it definitely won't be for a 100k ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

If I had set up the Emonda with more Granfondo focus, I think it would be just fine. Maybe not quite as comfy, but good enough and likely a little faster.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg