2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 316

flyordie

by flyordie

My solution is to ride 1x :)

c50jim

by c50jim

I built my Aethos with Red AXS. it's been a long winter so I only rode it for the first time yesterday. Did 95 km with one steep but short climb and a few other short not so steep climbs. Front derailleur worked fine from the start. Shifting on some cogs on the rear cassette was slow for the first 40 km or so but seemed to be speeding up as the ride proceeded. I have two bikes with 11 speed etap and this one looks as though it will work as well as those do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Aethos and AXS have worked very well for me. I have build up the bike originally with 50/37 10-33 and now ride it with 48/35 10-36. Both have worked equally well for hard sprints, climbing at threshold and just general riding.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

pmprego

by pmprego

Why would it not. I see this as a mute argument. If the top of the range of a major manufacturer wouldn't work it would not be a major manufacturer in the first place.
Last edited by pmprego on Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maquisard

by maquisard

I had same thought, Specialized actually have an Aethos S-Works Red AXS bike for sale, why would it not work?!

pmprego

by pmprego

Question regarding the Aethos. Can the Aethos stock seatpost be put as a zero offset seatpost? I've read that it comes as a 12mm setback but it can switch for a zero offset. Is this by changing something on the post itself or buying a specific zero offset aethos seatpost? Thanks.

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:32 am
Aethos and AXS have worked very well for me. I have build up the bike originally with 50/37 10-33 and now ride it with 48/35 10-36. Both have worked equally well for hard sprints, climbing at threshold and just general riding.
Is there any weight or performance penalty from the using the Max derailer needed for the 36t cassette?

I built mine up with the 46/33 and 33t cassette but was seriously considering this set up for the wider range. The red Max had just came out and decided against it since it was new.

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

pmprego wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:44 pm
Question regarding the Aethos. Can the Aethos stock seatpost be put as a zero offset seatpost? I've read that it comes as a 12mm setback but it can switch for a zero offset. Is this by changing something on the post itself or buying a specific zero offset aethos seatpost? Thanks.
I looked into this a few weeks ago, there is no zero offset alpinist seat post. Either had to go with something lighter and waaay more expensive like darimo or a third party seat post that was 50-80g heavier

robbosmans

by robbosmans

A MT Zoom is 143g for a 400mm and 82£

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

RideRunSwim wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:03 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:32 am
Is there any weight or performance penalty from the using the Max derailer needed for the 36t cassette?

I built mine up with the 46/33 and 33t cassette but was seriously considering this set up for the wider range. The red Max had just came out and decided against it since it was new.
The mechanics of the new rear derailleur shouldn't be different really.
There is a weight penalty, since the 10-36 cassette is not only physically bigger, but only available in "Force" level. Around 75g penalty over the 10-33 Red.

However, 75g more or less are HUGE here on WW, and make the bike #porky. In reality, it is absolutely nothing (as in "no person on the planet could ever reliably notice it from riding"). That said, the much smaller gear allows me to ride sub threshold on even the most brutal climbs of the alps (maybe bar Zoncolan and Mortiorlo). That isn't relevant for an all out KOM attempt, but great for grand fondos (La Marmotte, Maratona, Haute Route), where you have climb after climb.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:31 pm
A MT Zoom is 143g for a 400mm and 82£
Looks like a good alternative, had not seen that one!

xandidepressivax

by xandidepressivax

very happy to here that y'all haven't had any problems with axs :)
i'm a bit paranoid since, i've watched the mollema video to many times...

Another question: is the alpinist seatpost compatible with oval saddle rails? just pulled the trigger on a berk saddle :)

pmprego

by pmprego

so... I've posted some pages back about putting some juin-tech calipers on an aethos. Current problem: due to the specific front brak adapter the caliper does not sit where it should. It sits higher. Higher to a point where a 180mm rotor would fit. My question: besides the extra weight, what would be the theoretical problems of fitting a 180mm rotor to the aethos? Thanks

bowlingowleartquake

by bowlingowleartquake

Howdy. Question about the paint finish on the Aethos Pro. I picked up my bike last week, and it looks not so great - it's got several marks in the paint and a very uneven finish in parts. Seen a few comments earlier in the thread about sub-standard aesthetics on the frame but no close-up pictures for comparison. Attached are a few images of my frame - is this a similar level of finish that other owners are seeing?
IMG_1433.jpeg
IMG_1434.jpeg
IMG_1441.jpeg
IMG_1426.jpeg

robbosmans

by robbosmans

That’s just a very thin paintjob an the marks you are seeing is the bare carbon. Nothing to be worried about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com