2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 316

simbikotic

by simbikotic

bowlingowleartquake wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:30 am
is this a similar level of finish that other owners are seeing?
Yep, mine is the same. As robbosmans points out it's not paint finish, it's carbon layup finish showing through very thin paint. As paint is heavy and the Aethos is a WW bike - this is considered a 'feature' by many. Some of the lighter/brighter colorways have more paint (and weight), but anything 'satin carbon' looks like this. Options are:
1. exchange for a white one.
2. get a custom paint job.
3. learn to love the unique patina and -100g and ride on!

flyordie

by flyordie

Yup part of the design and I think it looks dope AF. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JAMSXR

by JAMSXR

I'm all for some thin paint with the carbon on show, but those last images look shoddy to me, like spilt coffee or water marks.

guadzilla

by guadzilla

I apologize if this has been asked, but does anyone know the approx difference between the S-Works and the regular Aethos frameset?

Also, would anyone have any first-hand experiences with the difference in ride quality, if any?

Noro

by Noro

guadzilla wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:52 am
I apologize if this has been asked, but does anyone know the approx difference between the S-Works and the regular Aethos frameset?

Also, would anyone have any first-hand experiences with the difference in ride quality, if any?
I have an Aethos Pro frameset and I tried an S-works twice.

Feel free to correct me or add as much as you need:

In terms of riding quality: I mean I am a lighter rider in a flat city and my max power outputted was circa 900 Watts. Both feel mostly the same, the fact that the S-Works is lighter you can feel that snappy feeling a littleeeee bit more (or is psychological).

To me, Pro/Expert is sufficient. I needed a functional bike, not a lightweight. So I've neglected many of the lightweight features of the bikes with deeper wheels, integrated stems. Easy to service parts, etc.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

JAMSXR wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:29 pm
I'm all for some thin paint with the carbon on show, but those last images look shoddy to me, like spilt coffee or water marks.
It's what comes from absolute focus on weight - the carbon plies are extremely thin and there's almost no thickness of resin on the frame surface straight from the mould :)

guadzilla

by guadzilla

Noro wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:08 pm
In terms of riding quality: I mean I am a lighter rider in a flat city and my max power outputted was circa 900 Watts. Both feel mostly the same, the fact that the S-Works is lighter you can feel that snappy feeling a littleeeee bit more (or is psychological). To me, Pro/Expert is sufficient. I needed a functional bike, not a lightweight. So I've neglected many of the lightweight features of the bikes with deeper wheels, integrated stems. Easy to service parts, etc.
Thanks for that - that was very useful, and as it stands, yes, the 10r Aethos sounds like it would be plenty good for my needs.

I already have a souped-out Venge for racing (well, i will soon, as soon as i get my crash replacement frameset), so am just chasing ride quality here. At 82kg, I dont care too much about maximizing the light weight either - but i can put out a decent amount of torque, and i am looking for a bike with a very stiff bottom bracket - that plays a big role how i perceive the ride quality.

Would like to hear from other riders on this as well.

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

guadzilla wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:13 pm
Noro wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:08 pm
In terms of riding quality: I mean I am a lighter rider in a flat city and my max power outputted was circa 900 Watts. Both feel mostly the same, the fact that the S-Works is lighter you can feel that snappy feeling a littleeeee bit more (or is psychological). To me, Pro/Expert is sufficient. I needed a functional bike, not a lightweight. So I've neglected many of the lightweight features of the bikes with deeper wheels, integrated stems. Easy to service parts, etc.
Thanks for that - that was very useful, and as it stands, yes, the 10r Aethos sounds like it would be plenty good for my needs.

I already have a souped-out Venge for racing (well, i will soon, as soon as i get my crash replacement frameset), so am just chasing ride quality here. At 82kg, I dont care too much about maximizing the light weight either - but i can put out a decent amount of torque, and i am looking for a bike with a very stiff bottom bracket - that plays a big role how i perceive the ride quality.

Would like to hear from other riders on this as well.
I have not tried the s works but the general consensus for any specialized bike is that the ride quality between the s works and next lower tier is alway identical. You are paying for the paying for the status symbol s works branding and a small weight savings.

The bike shop were I bought my aethos actually encouraged me to go with the pro model for this reason, I used the $ savings to get better wheels and a top tier groupset.

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

Also I found the bb to be plenty stiff, I weigh 80 kg

guadzilla

by guadzilla

RideRunSwim wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:43 pm
I have not tried the s works but the general consensus for any specialized bike is that the ride quality between the s works and next lower tier is alway identical. You are paying for the paying for the status symbol s works branding and a small weight savings.

The bike shop were I bought my aethos actually encouraged me to go with the pro model for this reason, I used the $ savings to get better wheels and a top tier groupset.
Yeah, that's pretty much my impression as well. So now it is down to Aethos vs C64 as my final 2 choices....

Thank you for your feedback.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

So had the frame arrive back with me. Frame with all bolts and nuts removed weighs 500gr

Build will be Alpinist Cockpit, Berk Saddle, SRAM Red AXS (as it is pretty much the only group set that I could get my hands on…… I took it off another bike of mine. Crankset will be replaced by THM M3 When it arrives.
Wheels are Custom build Nextie 30mm on DTSwiss 180 Hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

mrlobber

by mrlobber

One part of my mind wishes Specialized produces a rim brake Aethos one day.
The other part actually doesn't, as it would make all the great light past rim brake frames (some of which I own) obsolete weight-wise.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

alexneumuller wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:07 pm
So had the frame arrive back with me. Frame with all bolts and nuts removed weighs 500gr
That is an amazing weight, how is your custom painted frame 80g less than the stock s works, which pretty much has no paint to begin with?

maquisard

by maquisard

I was going to say this also, 500g seems too small a weight. Have you checked calibration on the scale. Easiest way to do this is, I think, with a badder filled with a measured volume of water.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

RideRunSwim wrote:
alexneumuller wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:07 pm
That is an amazing weight, how is your custom painted frame 80g less than the stock s works, which pretty much has no paint to begin with?
Good question……will check scale in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com