2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 317

Ytse

by Ytse

Team

I have had the opportunity to test ride an Aethos and it felt fantastic. Now, the question is: are there any other bikes / frames on the market that offer similar ride experience? What other the bikes do you know and have you ridden that are comparable to the Aethos?
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

S-Works Crux is pretty similar 😅
Sorry, I had to do it...
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

rolfo

by rolfo

rolfo wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:12 pm
Hi,

Sizing question.
It seems I fall between a 54cm and 56cm size Aethos, as I'm 175cm.
The bikeshop advised a 56 size, as "the Aethos runs short".

I currently have a Canyon Ultimate SLX in size small, which has exactly the same stack and reach as the 54 Aethos.

As the 54cm Aethos has a steeper headangle and a shorter wheelbase, will it run more nervous than my current Canyon?
I'm not look for an even more nervous bike, but would love to check out the aethos ;-)

Any thoughts or experience?

In this previous topic, I was "advised" to go for a 54cm version and not the 56cm version. Thanks for all responses ;-)
I want to come back to this question as my saddle heigt is 755 mm and with a 54cm size, the seatpost exposure would be 235mm (vs 210mm with a 56 cm).
And a 110stem length (with the 54cm version) vs a 90 stem length (with the 56cm version)...

Seems like a lot of seatpost for a 360mm roval seatpost. Does anyone know the maximum saddle height for a 54cm Specialized aethos? I asume a minimum insert of 100mm for the seatpost? Looks a bit on the edge ;-)

pmprego

by pmprego

rolfo wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:17 pm
rolfo wrote:
Hi,

Sizing question.

I currently have a Canyon Ultimate SLX in size small, which has exactly the same stack and reach as the 54 Aethos.

As the 54cm Aethos has a steeper headangle and a shorter wheelbase, will it run more nervous than my current Canyon?
I'm not look for an even more nervous bike, but would love to check out the aethos ;-)

In this previous topic, I was "advised" to go for a 54cm version and not the 56cm version. Thanks for all responses ;-)
I want to come back to this question as my saddle heigt is 755 mm and with a 54cm size, the seatpost exposure would be 235mm (vs 210mm with a 56 cm).
And a 110stem length (with the 54cm version) vs a 90 stem length (with the 56cm version)...

Seems like a lot of seatpost for a 360mm roval seatpost. Does anyone know the maximum saddle height for a 54cm Specialized aethos? I asume a minimum insert of 100mm for the seatpost? Looks a bit on the edge ;-)
Using your numbers, for a 360mm seatpost and a 100mm minimum, you can have a maximum of 260mm. Given that you said you need 235mm, my question is: are you planning on growing more than 25mm in the future? If not, I don't see why it'd be a bit on the edge :P

rolfo

by rolfo

pmprego wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:13 pm
rolfo wrote:
rolfo wrote:
Hi,

Sizing question.

Using your numbers, for a 360mm seatpost and a 100mm minimum, you can have a maximum of 260mm. Given that you said you need 235mm, my question is: are you planning on growing more than 25mm in the future? If not, I don't see why it'd be a bit on the edge :P
I did that calculation already myself, and I won't be growing ;-)
The seatpost has a minimum insertation, I know. But has the frame a minimum insertation? As the crosssection of the toptube and the seattube are about 50mm. I think the seatpost should be inserted beyond that point anyway, just to make shure.

And are there maybe other Aethos riders who have to seatpost that much exposed and how does this work out?

pmprego

by pmprego

I guess if you follow spesh guidelines, you'll be okay. They make it. They know what it can handle.

robeambro

by robeambro

rolfo wrote:
rolfo wrote:
Hi,

Sizing question.

My saddle height is 760mm on a 54 Aethos - the seatpost exposure is nowhere near what you quote. Did you perhaps not account for the fact that saddle rails add ca. 40mm of height? :lol:

Anyway,

Seat tube length size 54 - 481mm
+
Seat post length - 360mm (minus 80mm for insertion in the frame - this is what Specialized UK quoted to me)
+
Saddle stack - circa 40mm
=
Max Saddle height of c. 800mm

paulpongco

by paulpongco

Looking at the aethos for a few months now and when i was about to pull the trigger to buy one, my friend who owns a non-sworks aethos had a minor accident. He says minor since it was easy pace and got distracted. Bike did not crash into anything. It tumbled when he lost his balance. As a result, the top tube of the aethos cracked and the suspect is the handlebar hitting it.
Now, having second thoughts as durability of the frame is in question to hit the weight target. Anyone have heard or have had similar experiences? Will the Sworks model be better in durability?
Very expensive frame and without crash replacement - may be better to go to something else. I was looking for a second bike and I think the aethos is a keeper with its simplicity. The question is will it last.

pmprego

by pmprego

I can't answer you about durability as I don't even have one but.... Specialized does not have some secret formula to make carbon bikes. Thus, does not have some secret recipe to make superlight bikes. Which means that the frame has to have less material in it. But it is specialized themselves who claim this. Something in the line of "in our own super duper research, we found that we could reduce the amount of carbon used in certain parts as it does not affect handling and stiffness and whatnot"

For instance, the crux frame follows pretty much the same lines as the aethos but being a cx/gravel frame (more likely to hit the ground) it weights around 20% more.

paulpongco

by paulpongco

pmprego wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:10 pm
I can't answer you about durability as I don't even have one but.... Specialized does not have some secret formula to make carbon bikes. Thus, does not have some secret recipe to make superlight bikes. Which means that the frame has to have less material in it. But it is specialized themselves who claim this. Something in the line of "in our own super duper research, we found that we could reduce the amount of carbon used in certain parts as it does not affect handling and stiffness and whatnot"

For instance, the crux frame follows pretty much the same lines as the aethos but being a cx/gravel frame (more likely to hit the ground) it weights around 20% more.
I follow. I think that theory makes sense. I was hoping though for no fault crash protection coverage

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Adding to the Crash stories, where Aethosis fell over while leaned against a wall, and basically disinteresting to dust:

I hit the deck hard on the giant descent of Pico Veleta yesterday, going over 65kph according to my Wahoo.
I landed on the downtube with my hip and the bike came to a stop 30m later down the road than I did.
The downtube has a deep crack, that is around 10cm Long. Out of interest I put quite a lot of pressure on it with my feet. It moves slightly, but doesn't crack further.
Obviously it's broken now, and I won't ride it again, but it's nothing like the "there were only a few disconnected tubes left of the bike" stories.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

maquisard

by maquisard

Sorry to hear this, I am glad you are okay as this sounds like a nasty crash :(

Can you send some photos of the damage if you have time?

kode54

by kode54

Sorry to hear about your crash. But if you were sitting on the downtube while hitting pavement, does that mean road rash is less on your body? I would trade broken frame over road rash especially going that fast downhill.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I'll send photos once I have the bike back. The torn ligaments on my collarbone will need surgery asap in Germany and my bike remains in Spain until I find a solution there. Regarding road rash: probably less than possible, but I have road rash everywhere, so it is a lot already :/
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jayjay

by jayjay

Shit! Speedy recovery!