2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 316

ckspark

by ckspark

robeambro wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:23 pm
ckspark wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:32 pm
robeambro wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:13 pm
ckspark wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:13 pm
My Aethos Comp 10R 56cm naked teal fade frame. Had to buy a complete bike as the 10R frame is not available in the UK and I can't afford the S works. Going to build as light as my budget allows.

Completely bare 704g
IMG_20211119_103814382.jpg

With fittings except hanger 735g
IMG_20211119_105031265_HDR.jpg

Fork uncut completely bare 306g
IMG_20211119_110742943.jpg
Wouldn't buying a complete bike and strip it set you back nearly as much as buying the S-Works frame? Iirc it's £5k for the Rival build - if you're lucky enough to sell groupset, wheels, etc, that would be maybe £1k at best. I'm asking as I've ended in the same conundrum and thought it was worth going for the latter.
Yes agreed but I bought a barely used bike. Just pointing out that under the ballast is still a very light frame even on the cheapest Comp and is an option for anyone wanting to upgrade over time.
Why would I be lucky to sell the Rival groupset? It's sold out in the UK so obviously popular.
Oh I didn't mean to be rude - just saying that selling stuff second hand can be a pain. And for sure, it's a valid frame. Apologies if it sounded the wrong way.
No problem, I didn't initially make it clear that I purchased a used bike much cheaper than new which in my opinion makes the project viable, especially as I already own lots of light parts I can use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

What's the go-to BSA BB for somebody who doesn't want to fork out silly money but wants something reliable/durable yet not too heavy? A "Best Value" buy. I know most people tend to splurge for CeramicSpeed and the likes for these builds, but I'm looking for something a bit more financially sensible.

Maddie

by Maddie

C-Bear or Wheels MFG. I went with the latter and exchanged the bearings to NTN LLB.

AgMar

by AgMar

C Bear but used the Shimano one (Hollowtech crank) in the past and to be fair it is perfectly fine and a lot more economical, good value.

robeambro

by robeambro

Thanks both - will look into these options.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

robeambro wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:07 pm
What's the go-to BSA BB for somebody who doesn't want to fork out silly money but wants something reliable/durable yet not too heavy? A "Best Value" buy. I know most people tend to splurge for CeramicSpeed and the likes for these builds, but I'm looking for something a bit more financially sensible.
Shimano 24mm spindle? BBR60. In my experience the sealing is as good as any (same as 9000/9100).

robeambro

by robeambro

tjvirden wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:19 pm
robeambro wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:07 pm
Shimano 24mm spindle? BBR60. In my experience the sealing is as good as any (same as 9000/9100).
Yes Shimano. Good option!

plainey

by plainey

robeambro wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:35 pm
I'm going to take the discussion away from the polemics with a daft question.
What's the height of the stock headset cap supplied with the Aethos, and in case that's taller than 10mm, can it be replaced with something in the region of 8-10mm? It's probably a silly question but this is what happens when your current bike has "mandatory spacers", you are not used to having the chance to tinker your position with headset caps.
Just to piggyback off this, anyone know if the Tarmac SL6 20mm headset cover is compatible with the Aethos? I'm running 2cm of spacers including the stock headset spacer and would prefer the look of the SL6 one.

This person seems to be running it:

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Thanks to the wealth of information here, I bit the bullet and built an Aethos Expert frame up this summer with Ultegra Di2. Have been loving it for local hill climbs.

Currently sits at 6.62kg with cages, computer, pedals, red cassette, SLR saddle, and Alpinist bits. Nothing too exotic.

I’m now tempted to upgrade some of the Ultegra groupset parts since I can re-use them on another bike. Any opinions for better rotors, crankset, shifters?

I’ve been looking at XTR rotors and options for cranks.

Thanks for the help along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matheussiq8

by matheussiq8

Finally got my S-Works Aethos frame and looking now to buy the parts to build it. Quick question that even after reading this thread I couldn't figure out. Can I use the HOPE Caliper RX4+ on the Aethos fork? I've seen a build using the Trickstuff C21 but nothing so far regarding the Hope RX4+ caliper to know if it works or not.

There are also two different models for the caliper, anyone knows which one will work better in the front?

HOPE Caliper RX4+ Flatmount front FMF+20

HOPE Caliper RX4+ Flatmount rear FM+20

1llum4

by 1llum4

The Aethos doesn't use a standard front flatmount 160mm spacing so you need a rear flatmount caliper for 140mm and use the aethos specific 160mm flatmount adapter.

For Hope RX4+ that means you need the Rear Flatmount Min HOP534372 caliper.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

matheussiq8 wrote:Finally got my S-Works Aethos frame and looking now to buy the parts to build it. Quick question that even after reading this thread I couldn't figure out. Can I use the HOPE Caliper RX4+ on the Aethos fork? I've seen a build using the Trickstuff C21 but nothing so far regarding the Hope RX4+ caliper to know if it works or not.

There are also two different models for the caliper, anyone knows which one will work better in the front?

HOPE Caliper RX4+ Flatmount front FMF+20

HOPE Caliper RX4+ Flatmount rear FM+20
Funnily Enough I was doing exactly the same research today! As noted, definitely not the +20 calipers. I also had some concern over the clearance of the rear caliper on the seatstay (similar to the C21, albeit might be more viable on a bigger frame?). In short, probably need to buy them and see if they will fit …. However none in stock in the UK at the moment.

As an aside, by my calcs the Hope rotors (with pads) might save about 50g v the Ultegra..

rjich

by rjich

Turrifik wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:55 pm
Thanks to the wealth of information here, I bit the bullet and built an Aethos Expert frame up this summer with Ultegra Di2. Have been loving it for local hill climbs.

Currently sits at 6.62kg with cages, computer, pedals, red cassette, SLR saddle, and Alpinist bits. Nothing too exotic.

I’m now tempted to upgrade some of the Ultegra groupset parts since I can re-use them on another bike. Any opinions for better rotors, crankset, shifters?

I’ve been looking at XTR rotors and options for cranks.

Thanks for the help along the way.

Personally I'd replace the Red cassette with Shimano. They are not as quiet or smooth shifting for the sake of a few g as would feel it's at a weight now where it won't make a difference.
Ultegra crank has many options to replace as long as the axle is wide enough 120mm+ with Rotor, Easton THM etc.

Shifters I wouldn't bother with for the lack of weight savings. The older Ultegra hydro shifters were boat anchors, new ones within a few GM's of Dura Ace I think!

I replaced my SRAM centerline with XTR recently. They were lighter, Stop as well as the ones before, but slightly warped whixh was a bummer.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Turrifik wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:55 pm

Currently sits at 6.62kg ........
This is really nice - I'm not convinced that all the Aethos frame sizes look in proportion, but this does. 54 or 52?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GZAmk2

by GZAmk2

If you want an easy life, avoid Hope calipers. Lots for sale second hand…