2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 316

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

So after handing a 1kg weight on it, it showed 820grs. I take from that that my scale is defective. Now the question arises how to recalibrate it.

But 680grs for a repainted frame is still pretty good. I take that.

maquisard wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:37 pm
I was going to say this also, 500g seems too small a weight. Have you checked calibration on the scale. Easiest way to do this is, I think, with a badder filled with a measured volume of water.
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

alexneumuller wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:07 pm
So after handing a 1kg weight on it, it showed 820grs. I take from that that my scale is defective. Now the question arises how to recalibrate it.

maquisard wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:37 pm
I was going to say this also, 500g seems too small a weight. Have you checked calibration on the scale. Easiest way to do this is, I think, with a badder filled with a measured volume of water.
The bike still looks great, your builds always have the best custom paint jobs. I started lurking in ww from following the custom green Supersix you built up. To be honest I am bit disappointed that the scale is defective and the paint didn't have anti gravity properties ;).

How is the SuperSix nowadays? Interested to here your thoughts comparing vs the Aethos once its built up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

alexneumuller wrote:

Where do you get the value of 680g.

If for 1kg mass you read 820 grams this mean the scale indicates 82% of real value.

Therefore, if your scale reads 500g for the frame, real weight is 500/0.82 = 610g.

A very good weight given the complexity of the paint scheme.

Lina

by Lina

Unless it was a certified competition plate I wouldn't put too much trust on the 1 kg weight actually being 1 kg.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

maquisard wrote:
alexneumuller wrote:

If for 1kg mass you read 820 grams this mean the scale indicates 82% of real value.

Therefore, if your scale reads 500g for the frame, real weight is 500/0.82 = 610g.

Depending really on how serious I take each gram and especially taking under consideration that I failed my Math GCSE (English School Exam at Age16).

I have ordered a new scale. But will only arrive by time bike is build.

I m taking the Aethos, either the SL7 or Super Six Evo with me to near Nice this summer. I will be a frequent visitor to the Service Course there. A whole month of cycling. :) now the question that arises is which third bike should I take, as my bike rack can take three. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

Kaludrob

by Kaludrob

alexneumuller wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:09 pm
maquisard wrote:
alexneumuller wrote:

Depending really on how serious I take each gram and especially taking under consideration that I failed my Math GCSE (English School Exam at Age16).

I have ordered a new scale. But will only arrive by time bike is build.

I m taking the Aethos, either the SL7 or Super Six Evo with me to near Nice this summer. I will be a frequent visitor to the Service Course there. A whole month of cycling. :) now the question that arises is which third bike should I take, as my bike rack can take three. :)

I'd take the new up. I bet there are nice gravel paths too
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

So build is finished…..but not complete. 6.6kg in a Size 56. And yes it could be lighter with Dura Ace Di2 current generation. Still have a THM Crankset on order, so that should cut the weight a little.

Strava
Instagram

maquisard

by maquisard

I am curious of your saddle height, BB to top of saddle. It looks like you have a lot of seat post exposed. I also ride 56cm but with 775mm saddle height and am curious how much post would be exposed if I bought the Aethos

bedampft

by bedampft

Won't say anything to the murica theme, thats a personal choice, it's definitely not your basic SL7.
But if that's the final rider position, something about the geo isn't very much working out I would say.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

I have not measured it, but I generally ride around 826mm saddle height from BB. And yes it looks little funny, as the seat tube length is relative short, and shorter than on the SL7. I can measure the exact BB to Saddle Top tomorrow. But it fits perfectly, and had a bike fit and adjustment. The Stem length is 120mm.

Sure I could ride a Size 58 and it would look more normal. However then I would have to ride a 100mm stem or a 90mm stem, and I dont like the feeling of short stems. Also the stack would be to high. Custom geometry bikes fit me better......but I like Specialized, and I can make them work.

maquisard wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:51 pm
I am curious of your saddle height, BB to top of saddle. It looks like you have a lot of seat post exposed. I also ride 56cm but with 775mm saddle height and am curious how much post would be exposed if I bought the Aethos

Strava
Instagram

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

alexneumuller wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:07 pm
I have not measured it, but I generally ride around 826mm saddle height from BB. And yes it looks little funny, as the seat tube length is relative short, and shorter than on the SL7. I can measure the exact BB to Saddle Top tomorrow. But it fits perfectly, and had a bike fit and adjustment. The Stem length is 120mm.

Sure I could ride a Size 58 and it would look more normal. However then I would have to ride a 100mm stem or a 90mm stem, and I dont like the feeling of short stems. Also the stack would be to high. Custom geometry bikes fit me better......but I like Specialized, and I can make them work.

maquisard wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:51 pm
Curious what your body measurements are. You sound similar to me with long legs, and I'm wondering how I'd do on a 56, or you on a 58. I ride a 58 with 815mm from BB to saddle, but I also use a 120mm stem. The reach on the 58 is only 7mm longer, so I doubt you would have to go down to anything less than a 110mm stem. And you'd be able to slam your stem and probably go with a -17. But, I guess with the Aethos it's all about weight, so it would be heavier.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Seedster

by Seedster

As much as I admire the weight of the Aethos, the sloping top tube and ridiculously long seatpost results in an odd looking bike in larger sizes.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Seedster wrote:As much as I admire the weight of the Aethos, the sloping top tube and ridiculously long seatpost results in an odd looking bike in larger sizes.

Agreed, it has awesome weight specs, but its not a good looking bike at all

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Seedster wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:05 pm
As much as I admire the weight of the Aethos, the sloping top tube and ridiculously long seatpost results in an odd looking bike in larger sizes.

So, what you seem to be saying is that if a rider has unusual proportions, then a bike looks...........unusual? The Aethos itself seems to have unremarkable geometry as far as I can tell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Seedster

by Seedster

I have noticed the ridiculously long seatpost on smaller sizes as well.