Chinarello V Pinarello by Luescher

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

tigradekat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:05 pm
That's not a fact mate. It all depends on agreed manufacturing quality and QC. Not in which part of the world the factory is located.
It's a fact mate. Only companies the size of Apple can have > 99% QC from another continent. Time was, hopefully will be again, the best example of total QC for road bikes. For mass produced frames it starts and ends with Giant. Buying a China/Pinarello is just tossing money in the toilet on a name (a fake one too as they haven't been revelent since steel).

by Weenie

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

fxx wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:48 am
ichobi wrote:
kgt wrote:In general, all outsourced in China carbon frames are of the same low quality. The brand of the frame does not really matter.
My friend’s 2019 Cipo still have misaligned integrated seat post. European made and all. Image this is not the first one either. Keep believing.
Because CF bikes are hand made, flaws will always exist.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Stupid question, but are not all bikes hand made to a certain extent? I mean, I don't believe there are bike assembly lines with robots making bikes!

tigradekat

by tigradekat

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:59 pm
tigradekat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:05 pm
That's not a fact mate. It all depends on agreed manufacturing quality and QC. Not in which part of the world the factory is located.
It's a fact mate. Only companies the size of Apple can have > 99% QC from another continent. Time was, hopefully will be again, the best example of total QC for road bikes. For mass produced frames it starts and ends with Giant. Buying a China/Pinarello is just tossing money in the toilet on a name (a fake one too as they haven't been revelent since steel).
I disagreed with the sweeping statement that it is true, without qualifications or caveats, that frames built in Asia are inferior to frames built in Europe or USA. If you are just re-stating the same claim then sorry, you have no clue.

I do agree that paying the amounts that the likes of Pinarello are demanding for their frames produced in cheap labor countries is ridiculous, and that the reverence towards brands like that are based on perceived past glory and myth.

Having worked in the bicycle industry for 7 years has cured me from such emotional attachments for good, although I sometimes wish I could still get all enthusiastic about a certain brand or company because of it's "heritage". I do realize that for many, it's a large part of the hobby.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

tigradekat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:38 pm
Having worked in the bicycle industry for 7 years has cured me from such emotional attachments for good, although I sometimes wish I could still get all enthusiastic about a certain brand or company because of it's "heritage". I do realize that for many, it's a large part of the hobby.
That's why I always say that you shouldn't try and turn your hobby into your job. That way you won't have a hobby anymore.
Cervelo S3 - 7.35kg

flying

by flying

tigradekat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:38 pm
Having worked in the bicycle industry for 7 years has cured me from such emotional attachments for good,
although I sometimes wish I could still get all enthusiastic about a certain brand or company because of it's "heritage".
I do realize that for many, it's a large part of the hobby.
Pretty much true these days of quantity/profit margins over quality, but if one is still interested in Steel
they can still find companies with the heritage intact & still buy from them

But these days most are programmed to the supposedly bleeding edge believing that the latest/greatest is what
sponsored riders use forgetting they have no choice whether to use that equipment or not.
Unlike days when many top pros rode what they wanted repainted to look like sponsored equipment

Lastly though & probably most importantly after basics are covered...Ultimately....It is not about the bike :beerchug:

cubixthe

by cubixthe

Thankfully we still have Campagnolo, Colnago with their C series made in Italy, I believe Cipollini is also made in Europe and finished in Italy, Santa Cruz in the USA etc. We also have to remember that with big companies the manufacturing is only a part (yes, a big chunk but not 99%) of the story. There is still people in Europe, USA and other parts of the world that stand behind the brand, and most importantly design the bikes and do the engineering. Of course it all depends on the brand, but we're not talking about brands that simply use ready to go molds from Chinese companies and put their name on it :) In fact, those molds and those bikes are being made thanks to the previous hard work and engineering of the big brands.

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

cubixthe wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:13 pm
Thankfully we still have Campagnolo, Colnago with their C series made in Italy, I believe Cipollini is also made in Europe and finished in Italy, Santa Cruz in the USA etc. We also have to remember that with big companies the manufacturing is only a part (yes, a big chunk but not 99%) of the story. There is still people in Europe, USA and other parts of the world that stand behind the brand, and most importantly design the bikes and do the engineering. Of course it all depends on the brand, but we're not talking about brands that simply use ready to go molds from Chinese companies and put their name on it :) In fact, those molds and those bikes are being made thanks to the previous hard work and engineering of the big brands.
I don't think Santa Cruz makes any of their frames in the USA but I have heard they stand behind their products. As does IBIS. Honestly, I find most mountain bike companies to be much more friendly and willing to work with customers to get them back riding. Road bike manufacturers, not so much.

ichobi

by ichobi

My friend’s new red F12 disc. And this is on the smaller size.
Paying this much for this weight... he did say that he prefer SL6 ride more than the Dogma but Pinarello geo suits him better.

If you cant see the digit its 1100g.

His build came out at 6.99kg
Schmolke TLO disc
Ashima rotor
Hope rx4 calipers
Da di2
Carbon ti front ring.
Single carbonworks cage.