Chinarello V Pinarello by Luescher

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Zakalwe
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:15 pm

by Zakalwe

Pinarello doesn’t really do much for me, they’re the Louis Vuitton handbag of the bicycle world really - a flashy label that appeals to people who don’t really know a whole lot about actual leather goods (or that the printed “leather” is actually plastic coated canvas). I’m done with high volume cookie cutter stuff that’s knocked out for the lowest price and highest volume, I’d rather give my business to people who care enough and have the talent to keep production in house where they can supervise every step

by Weenie


spartan
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:52 am

by spartan

no one has mentioned that particular pinarello was produced over 10 years ago. carbon manufacturing of matured exponential since the early 2000's.

evidence asian made trek emonda sl cutup. 'well constructed bike'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJl5V_KTRzc

sworks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYAUa9gzJM


look made one. the worse from the three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdghAAmjyLs
Current Rides:

2018 Madone SLR DISC DI2 9XXX
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

Bridgeman
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:04 am
Location: USA
Contact:

by Bridgeman

I've had my F10 for well over 2 1/2 years. Ridden many miles over lots of shit terrain. It has provided me with an aero advantage over my last bike that isn't subtle, and puts a smile on my face every single time I ride it. The fit I have finally arrived at feels extremely good, almost therapeutic.

I have no concern over what anyone thinks about the company or the frame.

I am planning on doing a fiber optic observation of the internals on the next big maintenance this fall.

Steve Curtis
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Bridgeman wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:42 pm
I've had my F10 for well over 2 1/2 years. puts a smile on my face every single time I ride it.
Perfect!

That's all I which to anyone buying a bike, or who rides a bike for that matter.

One of my all time favourite frames is the planetx pickenflick. Not expensive for Ti but just a joy to use.
I should seriously consider getting another frame, just in case 😀

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 3722
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

hannawald wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:05 am
MyM3Coupe wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:52 pm
Pinarello is a "trash brand." Garbage bikes with short, and often not accepted warranties. They are like Trek in that their best days you'd think, were long ago.
They have five years warranty..pretty standard i think..i tried to browse the forum as i am interested in buying Dogma, but recent complaints about warranty process with Pinarello..is it that bad?
Have you considered buying a Exept frame instead of Pinarello?
I mean, you can actually take either your own idea of measurements and angles, fork/ headtube trail.
Or you can pick a bike and copy.
If i had that amount you mentioned, i would certainly consider going this route.
I think you can email them and also mention you want the bike custom painted instead of the options you find on the online form.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)


Ex bike; Vial EVO D

jlok
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 am

by jlok

alanyu wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 pm
FYI, Pinarello frames are NOT made in taiwan. They are made in Dongguan.
So... All models are Made in China?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 3722
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

jlok wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:07 pm
alanyu wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 pm
FYI, Pinarello frames are NOT made in taiwan. They are made in Dongguan.
So... All models are Made in China?
https://inrng.com/2017/02/trek-canyon-q ... ctory-oem/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)


Ex bike; Vial EVO D

User avatar
corky
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: The Surrey Hills

by corky

Bridgeman wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:42 pm
I've had my F10 for well over 2 1/2 years. Ridden many miles over lots of shit terrain. It has provided me with an aero advantage over my last bike that isn't subtle, and puts a smile on my face every single time I ride it. The fit I have finally arrived at feels extremely good, almost therapeutic.

I have no concern over what anyone thinks about the company or the frame.

I am planning on doing a fiber optic observation of the internals on the next big maintenance this fall.
With respect it's not the visual internals of a frame you should be concerned with (getting a bladder out of a frame post molding is never clean) it's the structural integrity that needs to be examined with a scanner. Looking for voids and wall thicknesses and joint integrity.

A carbon monocoque frame will never look as good inside as a tube to tube constructed frame.

There's a gap in the market for carbon frames that are produced with claims around increased structural integrity, alignment and QC rather than stiffer, more compliant and increased aero percentages imho.

tigradekat
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:27 am

by tigradekat

corky wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:52 pm
There's a gap in the market for carbon frames that are produced with claims around increased structural integrity, alignment and QC rather than stiffer, more compliant and increased aero percentages imho.
Agreed.

Zakalwe
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:15 pm

by Zakalwe

Colnago make those sort of claims

Steve Curtis
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

tigradekat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:14 pm
corky wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:52 pm
There's a gap in the market for carbon frames that are produced with claims around increased structural integrity, alignment and QC rather than stiffer, more compliant and increased aero percentages imho.
Agreed.
So you don't expect that from any brand ?
I expect that as a minimum from any frame other than direct Ali express or eBay stuff.

tigradekat
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:27 am

by tigradekat

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:38 pm
tigradekat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:14 pm
corky wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:52 pm
There's a gap in the market for carbon frames that are produced with claims around increased structural integrity, alignment and QC rather than stiffer, more compliant and increased aero percentages imho.
Agreed.
So you don't expect that from any brand ?
I expect that as a minimum from any frame other than direct Ali express or eBay stuff.
Sure, but thats the whole point: Marketing departments love customers who buy into the implied quality of premium brand frames. But Luescher (and Hambini) keep proving otherwise.

So as customers are getting better insight in actual quality levels, said customers would likely be interested in buying from manufacturers who can guarantee a certain level of "void free" or "crease free" carbon layup in their frames, or who can claim perfectly bonded frame parts or in-spec bb shell dimensions and alignment as an example, as opposed to / in addition to forever repeating the same old claims regarding stiffness, aerodynamics and compliance.
Last edited by tigradekat on Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Curtis
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I'm interested to see what giant does with its new automation of carbon lay up. It could very well resolve these issues.
When paying 2k plus for a frame I don't see what they aren't all NDT'ed as part of QA.

hannawald
Posts: 961
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm
Location: Czech Republic

by hannawald

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:58 pm
hannawald wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:05 am
MyM3Coupe wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:52 pm
Pinarello is a "trash brand." Garbage bikes with short, and often not accepted warranties. They are like Trek in that their best days you'd think, were long ago.
They have five years warranty..pretty standard i think..i tried to browse the forum as i am interested in buying Dogma, but recent complaints about warranty process with Pinarello..is it that bad?
Have you considered buying a Exept frame instead of Pinarello?
I mean, you can actually take either your own idea of measurements and angles, fork/ headtube trail.
Or you can pick a bike and copy.
If i had that amount you mentioned, i would certainly consider going this route.
I think you can email them and also mention you want the bike custom painted instead of the options you find on the online form.
I don´t know anything about Exept bikes..I mean there may be lots of brands with better manufacturing quality but how much money can they invest in research? Do they use wind tunnel or just CFD? How much do they test the bikes etc..As for Pinarello they use Torayca 1100. I know there must be limited amount of that otherwise the bike will be brittle..but what do others use? Why they don´t show their cards? We know from reviews that Pinarello is very stiff, some people say that after trying Pinarello other bikes were too flexy..all reviewers say that despite the way it was very responsive bike and best descender ever..so they must know something about geometry and stiffness..on the other hand some people here say it was not responsive and nothing special...some people say it is comfortable enough, on the other hand 2 reviews that it has almost no compliance and that it is a bike for racing but not for many hours in the saddle...
So it seems very polarising and hard to say why and what the truth is...

I can have only one bike. Too little for what i would like to try:) I was already thinking about something like Festka. It´s just few kilometres from my house and they cost similar to Pinarello. You get better paint, something unique, good production quality and bespoke approach..but do you get the same riding quality and best machine you can have? I am afraid it won´t be simply as aero and fast as Dogma. And that may give me some 2nd thoughts later..I am competing just with myself but still want to know that my machine is not technically lacking behind the best..

Vespasianus
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:15 pm

by Vespasianus

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:21 pm
jlok wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:07 pm
alanyu wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 pm
FYI, Pinarello frames are NOT made in taiwan. They are made in Dongguan.
So... All models are Made in China?
https://inrng.com/2017/02/trek-canyon-q ... ctory-oem/
I used to go to Guangzhou a lot for business and they have a huge convention center. Once, I was walking around the center when some sort of manufacturing expo was going on. Every type of bike you could imagine was there. One fellow offered to build me a custom carbon bike for 5000 Yuan - delivered to me in the USA. My handler - Chinese Australian fellow- got him down to 3000 Yuan. Almost did it but balked at the end.

by Weenie


Post Reply