Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
maquisard

by maquisard

I think you are missing the point of the intended market for this bike - it precisely intended to not be specific to any genre but to be able to handle multiple. That doesn't necessarily mean a 'super compromise' as very few riders need a super specific bike, dedicated to a particular discipline, in the first place.

Daveke

by Daveke

Going to build mine RIGHT NOW 😁

by Weenie

jfranci3

by jfranci3

maquisard wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:04 pm
I think you are missing the point of the intended market for this bike - it precisely intended to not be specific to any genre but to be able to handle multiple. That doesn't necessarily mean a 'super compromise' as very few riders need a super specific bike, dedicated to a particular discipline, in the first place.
Yeah, this is one-bike type of bike. Basically, the bike most people should buy - what the 'endurace' category used to be. Smooth soft-road, core road work. Stack is high enough for old dudes and short enough most semi-flexible people. Seems hard to market at this price point- "looks good, does 95% of most things" :D

Jere

by Jere

Yep I'm wrong , back peddling already
I think I should have not read the Cervelo white pages.
I am 60 plus and really like the C5 but putting it in the same Sentence as my R5 made my head blow up.
Just rode 3 hours in the rain with a C5 , fenders, big tires no drama just stable and smooth.
I did not think of 90% riders that's make sense now.
Can I name the next model ?
CRSP Series Ha Ha
Grumpy Old Man

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Daveke wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:08 pm
Going to build mine RIGHT NOW 😁
Need. Pics.

Did you go for a frameset or a complete build? Regular Caledonia or the 5?

Daveke

by Daveke

Went for the 5; the Purple one
Complete build but broke it down and installed parts of choice. My colleague needed all the other parts so it made more sense getting the full bike.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

I freakin love that purple.
I already have an R5 and an Aspero, and have zero need for another bike, but it's tempting...very tempting.

Definitely post pics once its completed

otnemem

by otnemem

uraqt wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:23 am
Also you don't really need to pay for BB press!!

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shif ... 22442.html
There's plenty of offers from asia (ebay, amazon, etc) for bearing/bottom bracket presses at well below $50. Some of them even include a nifty bearing/BB removal system that does not involve hacking away with a Mallet at your expensive carbon frame.

PSM

by PSM

But how much can you turn the bar?

Stueys

by Stueys

Has anyone seen any aero figures on the bike yet? Looks like a great proposition but interested in what you're giving up on an Evo or Tarmac for instance.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

It's not really apples Vs apples to comp this bike Vs an Eco or Tarmac, the geo is completely different the fork is much wider, one's a race weapon the other is an all road bike

A bit like comparing the aero of a Ferrari Vs an M3
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti, Parlee, Donhou, Various others

Stueys

by Stueys

bikewithnoname wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:24 am
It's not really apples Vs apples to comp this bike Vs an Eco or Tarmac, the geo is completely different the fork is much wider, one's a race weapon the other is an all road bike

A bit like comparing the aero of a Ferrari Vs an M3
Yep, don't disagree but it would be useful to have some frame of reference against the usual benchmark bikes. Even a reference point against the Cervelo stable would be revealing.

Personally I like the geo and the concept of the bike, be interesting to see what the compromises are in terms of performance against the usual bikes I'd be looking at.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I saw the press release when it 1st came out and though, my lord, that'd be nice, but notice that the base fame (not the Caledonia 5) can 't be purchased by itself ?

Did I get it right from the website - US$4,300 for the Caledonia 5 farmeset is outta my budget :-(

I do love the Chameleon pant scheme though !!!

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

I don't believe so. But the 105 build is very reasonable priced, so I'd just strip it down and sell the groupset.

It'd probably end up being cheaper than whatever they'd charge for just the frameset, anyways

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I was surprised when I compared the geometry of the 56 to my V2R in 54 which is essentially a 56. I think the only difference was in the stack which was off by 2mm. This is something I could ride but for now I am good with the Colnago.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie