Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:31 pm
Calendonia 5 recalled. Ah the joys of a D shaped steerer.

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/new ... edonia-5s/
Is it just me or is the amount of recalls across a lot of top end bikes a bit of a joke. For something as simple as a bike it seems so many manufacturers try to over complicate things and create issues

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

daninplymouth wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:35 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Calendonia 5 recalled. Ah the joys of a D shaped steerer.

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/new ... edonia-5s/
Is it just me or is the amount of recalls across a lot of top end bikes a bit of a joke. For something as simple as a bike it seems so many manufacturers try to over complicate things and create issues
The issue is with a faceplate on this recall. Not related to D shaped steerer. Its the contact point between bars and stem.Cervelo didn't really post any pictures of this. But the ST-31LT stem uses a different faceplate than the ST31 stem.

See attached photos. Both are the same stems with different faceplates.
Attachments
FctZDLkWQAMoXmO.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 4.11.39 PM.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

So it's faceplate - I mis-read the notice. Hmm, how do you get stem/bar interface wrong? This is one part of modern bicycles that have been relatively trouble free the last few years. At least it's one problem that one piece barstems eliminate.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:44 pm
So it's faceplate - I mis-read the notice. Hmm, how do you get stem/bar interface wrong? This is one part of modern bicycles that have been relatively trouble free the last few years. At least it's one problem that one piece barstems eliminate.
I have the ST-31 stem with regular faceplate.
I just posted the other day if anyone was experiencing bolts loosening. Mine are loosening not at the stem/bar clamp, but at the stem/steerer.

Can be something as simple as bad stem bolts from a bad supplier, or tool cutting/threading not being the best. Or just simply need to use some loctite.

On the ST-31LT it looks like they tried to make the out front mount better but removed too much material.

On the regular out front mount for the ST-31 faceplate, I had to warranty the mount because a little plastic clip broke off a couple times. So they probably tried to solve the mount problem by changing the faceplate. Then here we are.

I reached out a few days ago about the pinch bolts and they said loctite is fine to use. But I should bring to a dealer so the dealer can inspect and formally write it up. My bars haven't slipped in 1.5 yrs.

Having worked in auto manufacturing, I see how these issues can occur very easily. Quality inspections are a big thing, but many things still get missed.

Almost every big brand has had a recall latetly.
Specialized, Factor, BMC, Canyon. I had a Cannondale SSEVO warranty with AXS chain rubbing the stays completely due to either too much paint (as per Cannondale), or bad tolerances in carbon (my thought).

Add in Covid as production temporarily shuts down and starts again, employee turnover, and we're bound to have bad quality products right now. Companies are scrambling to get stuff made right now.

maquisard

by maquisard

The recall has absolutely nothing to do with the D-shape steerer, it is the stem faceplate" Although I take your point and I am not a fan of such steerer designs.

"According to Cervélo, there is an issue with the bicycles’ stem faceplate, which could lead to the handlebar slipping at recommended stem bolt torque levels, thereby increasing the risk of a rider losing control of their bicycle and falling."

paulpongco

by paulpongco

New to Cervelo and have a Caledonia 5. Does the seatpost take in any saddle with carbon railings such as the fizik vento Argo r1 with 7x10 rails?

skinnybex

by skinnybex

paulpongco wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:41 pm
New to Cervelo and have a Caledonia 5. Does the seatpost take in any saddle with carbon railings such as the fizik vento Argo r1 with 7x10 rails?
Yes, it's a top/bottom clamp system. I have a Fizik Antares with 7x10 rails mounted on my Caledonia 5 and no problems whatsoever. Just tighten to spec with a torque wrench.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Mr.Gib wrote:
Calendonia 5 (and R5) recalled . Ah the joys of a D shaped steerer.
The recall has nothing to do with the steerer.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:44 pm
So it's faceplate - I mis-read the notice. Hmm, how do you get stem/bar interface wrong? This is one part of modern bicycles that have been relatively trouble free the last few years.
Not completely. Look recalled the Aerolight stem on the 795(?) but that was a weird reinvention of the wheel type thing anyway. There are several other combos of carbon bar/stem that can slip at max torque and probably should be recalled but that aren't part of an in house manufacturer assembled / supplied set.

Neillp

by Neillp

I am considering buying a Caledonia frameset and building it up with an ultegra group set I already have
Does this frame have a press fit BB? If so what do people recommend? I have no knowledge of PF as I have always had threaded BBs

jch3n

by jch3n

Neillp wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:34 pm
Does this frame have a press fit BB? If so what do people recommend? I have no knowledge of PF as I have always had threaded BBs
Yes, it's Cervelo BBRight which is press fit. Token Ninja or Wheels Manufacturing thread together bottom brackets are good options.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bbright.html
https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-brackets

Neillp

by Neillp

jch3n wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:41 pm
Neillp wrote:
Yes, it's Cervelo BBRight which is press fit. Token Ninja or Wheels Manufacturing thread together bottom brackets are good options.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bbright.html
https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-brackets
Thanks 🙏

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Wheels MFG BB's are the way to go. The best option for anything pressfit. I've had many in the past, and have one in my Caledonia and Aspero currently.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Full bikes come with a thread together bb.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

kervelo

by kervelo

Neillp wrote:
I am considering buying a Caledonia frameset and building it up with an ultegra group set I already have
As already commented above, a thread together BB is a good option. However, I have not had any issues with properly installed press fit BB's either: I use a standard SRAM PF Dub BB with my Caledonia and with my Aspero, a c-bear with my R3. I think most PF issues may be related to a bad installation at the factory etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com