Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Karvalo

by Karvalo

forklifter wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:54 pm
Today my Caledonia 5 arrived.
Sadly it have some headset issues
What headset issues?

forklifter

by forklifter

It is like the headset has play.

Headset bolt was already fixed with 8nm. The steering is then already stiff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevokinevo

by stevokinevo

Has anyone tried to fit a pair of Compass Bon Jon Pass on the bike yet? Mines arrives in April and I'm so hoping I can get this tyres in. Cant think of a better bike once those gucci slippers are fitted.

tmanley

by tmanley

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:39 pm
You'll need to remove the insert before you're able to shorten the steerer tube. To remove it, place an extra 10mm spacer on top of the stem/under the top cap, then tighten down on the top cap bolt until the expander starts to move upwards. If needed, add additional spacers until the expander is fully removed. The expoxy they use isn't very strong, so it should break free pretty easily.

You'll then need to sand down any remaining expoxy and clean the tube with alcohol before installing a new fork insert (cervelo sells a kit)
Looks like I'm going to have to make this change too - need to shorten the steerer tube by around 25mm. Curious to learn more about how much force is really required to pop out the expander (also wondering if a little bit of delicate heat gun "warmth" might help too).

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

tmanley wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:04 pm
Looks like I'm going to have to make this change too - need to shorten the steerer tube by around 25mm. Curious to learn more about how much force is really required to pop out the expander (also wondering if a little bit of delicate heat gun "warmth" might help too).
It always came out pretty easily for me...no alarming amount of force required, and a standard l-key will get the job done. I would strongly recommend not using a heat gun, as you're more likely to damage the carbon than you are to soften up the epoxy.

kervelo

by kervelo

kervelo wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:04 pm
Caledonia owners: what are your experiences of installing mudguards? Using 28 or 30 mm road tyres, is there enough room behind the bb to fit a full length mudguard? I believe in addition to the chainstay bridge there is an attachment point for the mudguard behind the bb?
Answering my own question... There is enough room for for a full length mudguard (SKS bluemels 35) when using 28 mm road tyres. Have not tested with 30 mm.

forklifter

by forklifter

dalex wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:57 pm
Here's my Caledonia. 56 cm DI2 model with following changes from stock:
- GRX DI2 levers and rear mech
- 40 cm Zipp XPLR bars
- 12 cm BMC alloy stem that my LBS had lying around
- My old Rotor Flow SRM (110 BCD) with new Praxis 52-36 aero chaingrings
- C-bear BBright cyclocross bottom bracket

Weight with stainless steel Speedplay Zeros and one original model Bontager XXX bottle cage: 8.98 kg. Steerer tube to be trimmed later, along with making other running changes.

Does the crank work well in conjunction with the chainline on the Caledonia?

kaunosario

by kaunosario

IMG_2691.jpg
I had plenty of doubts about moving to a Caledonia-5 from a Canyon Endurace and seeing significant enough improvements. Well, I'm happy to say that the move was well worth it. What an awesome bike. Fast, responsive, stable, comfortable, and much more.

hannawald

by hannawald

Has anybody checked the weight of Caledonia 5 frameset. I just wonder why the bikes are so heavy, because claimed weight suggests you should be able to build a road setup around 7 kgs but even with top spec - all carbon/dura ace it is above 7.5 kgs... what's so heavy? thanks!

belopsky

by belopsky

I own the aspero.. and I want the Caledonia lol

tr0n

by tr0n

Did any of the Caledonia 5 owners on here experience creaking of the seatpost/seatpost wedge? did you find a fix for it? I already regreased the wedge and used plenty of carbon paste on the seatpost/frame but it reocurrs after some km.

tmanley

by tmanley

My seatpost grease solution consisted of using carbon paste on the wedge areas that interfaced with the frame (i.e. the outer portion of the wedge) and then I used some basic Park grease on the areas of the wedge where it touched the seatpost. I haven't had any issues with this approach.

Steve K

by Steve K

tr0n wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:50 pm
Did any of the Caledonia 5 owners on here experience creaking of the seatpost/seatpost wedge? did you find a fix for it? I already regreased the wedge and used plenty of carbon paste on the seatpost/frame but it reocurrs after some km.
I tried so much paste and never got rid of the creak. Effeto Mariposa carbogrip did the trick though.

Has anyone had any luck finding a retailer with the ACR bearing cover from FSA in stock for the Caledonia-5?

johnnyha

by johnnyha

stevokinevo wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:28 am
Has anyone tried to fit a pair of Compass Bon Jon Pass on the bike yet? Mines arrives in April and I'm so hoping I can get this tyres in. Cant think of a better bike once those gucci slippers are fitted.
Did you ever get an answer to this?

tr0n

by tr0n

Thanks for answering tmanley und Steve K. Will try a different kind of paste next. Annoying to deal with such issues on a bike in that price range

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com