Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TiCass wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:29 pm
What’s up with people wanting T47?
At least with BBRight, when you have misaligned bearings, you can fix it with a screw together BB or a one piece BB. With T47, you’re just stuck with your issue.

No, because warranties exist. How many people have been “stuck with the issue” of having BSA? I’d wager most home mechanics and shop mechanics prefer threaded BB shells, and it’s just people that fawn over a certain YouTube personality and pathological weight weenies crying about the trend back in that direction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:41 pm
TiCass wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:29 pm
What’s up with people wanting T47?
At least with BBRight, when you have misaligned bearings, you can fix it with a screw together BB or a one piece BB. With T47, you’re just stuck with your issue.

No, because warranties exist. How many people have been “stuck with the issue” of having BSA? I’d wager most home mechanics and shop mechanics prefer threaded BB shells, and it’s just people that fawn over a certain YouTube personality and pathological weight weenies crying about the trend back in that direction.
Agree with Tobin. As someone who does a fair amount of home wrenching, I haven't bothered buying a BB press. But it's a pain to have to bring it to a shop for a swap/install. I'd rather not need a $100 press. Additionally, being able to reuse/service a bottom bracket is essential. I just wasted $50 on a trashed pressfit sram dub BB that was swapped from a warrantied frame to another. If this was BSA, T47 or threadfit I could've reused it. I have a wheels threadfit now. Additionally, how many misaligned or creaking BSA, T47, have you heard about? Is BBright or pressfit a deal breaker? NO. Do I still want the Caledonia - YES. If I buy one and build from scratch I'll be getting a threadfit.

maquisard

by maquisard

In other news 4iiii powermeters standard on Caledonia builds - no surprise I guess as Phil White is now 4iiii president.

https://4iiii.com/4iiii-precision-pro-p ... s-in-2021/

uraqt

by uraqt

@woodyvalentine

You can get a "better" seat post..possibly the best one...

http://darimo.eu/en/darimo-t1-loop-seat ... -not-round

Also you don't really need to pay for BB press!!

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shif ... 22442.html

That said I think the manufacturers should have stayed with old school thread shells. But then I am a grumpy old man and don't want kids playing on my lawn .. : )

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

woodyvalentine wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:40 pm
This looks good.

Pros:
d shaped steerer (more of this method please)
Nice stems - alum / carbon
Internal routing
Geo
Aero
Tire clearance
Fenders
No iso crap or head shock

Cons:
Bars are a little ugly with the forward wing - but likely can use ACR / DCR bars with the stem
BBright not T47 or BSA
Standard stem headset cover - TBD
Stock 20 offset seatpost (same seatpost as R5 though so can buy 0)
(Sunweb have the bike on their page with a PRO stem, but not sure which headset cover. The stock one likely wouldn't be too clean with a non-Cervélo stem. So they likely used a standard headset cover. But then will leave a little gap behind it).

Price - expensive but not as ridiculous as some others as of late

Does anyone know where to find what stem + bar sizes are used per frame size from Cervélo?
Excel has the stem/bar/crank size for each frame size listed.
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... 1&minor=35

I really wish brands, that use a proprietary/integrated cockpit, would let you pick your desired size...nothing like having to spend an extra $300+ to get the right sized bar and/or stem.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:08 am

I really wish brands, that use a proprietary/integrated cockpit, would let you pick your desired size...nothing like having to spend an extra $300+ to get the right sized bar and/or stem.
Orbea does (or at least did, MyO is down right now for several models).
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

maquisard

by maquisard

Not to mention that Specialized have returned to threaded BBs on many models whilst Trek have ditched the awful BB90 and gone with T47.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:39 pm
spud wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:37 pm
My gravel bike with 72 degree steerer is a bit sluggish steering on the road, to the point where I def prefer the more neutral handling of my road bike. Tires could have something to do with the feel however. This type of bike is probably what most of us past the age of 45 should be riding.
What is the fork offset though. Many gravel bikes kill the handling speed with 45mm fork offset with 72degree HTA. That result in 66mm trail which of course feel sluggish.
Cannondale SuperSix Evo size 48-54 has 71.2 degree HTA (i.e. even slacker than your gravel bike), but with 55mm fork offset it handle very fast with trail value=58mm just like road bike with 73 degree and 45mm fork offset.
Cervelo use 3 fork offset across sizes. All sizes have 58.5mm trail. This is proper trail value, just like Specialized Tarmac, Venge etc.

Plug some number of head tube angle, fork offset, wheel-tire size in and play however you like to get trail value around 58-61mm then it'll handle fast like a road bike http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/trailcalc.php
According to the Cervelo geo chart the Caledonia has a trail of 60mm, you're right though this should still be fast enough for most.

I've found trail and as a result handling is down to personal preference. I'm in the higher camp, works better for me - not really sure why. But I'm not racing road bikes anymore so I don't need to be able to react super quickly.

FYI Colnago, Argon etc. tend to have higher trail than the bikes you mention and they handle bloody pretty well and are raced at the highest level so it's not simply a case of a 'proper value'.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:08 am
woodyvalentine wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:40 pm
This looks good.

Pros:
d shaped steerer (more of this method please)
Nice stems - alum / carbon
Internal routing
Geo
Aero
Tire clearance
Fenders
No iso crap or head shock

Cons:
Bars are a little ugly with the forward wing - but likely can use ACR / DCR bars with the stem
BBright not T47 or BSA
Standard stem headset cover - TBD
Stock 20 offset seatpost (same seatpost as R5 though so can buy 0)
(Sunweb have the bike on their page with a PRO stem, but not sure which headset cover. The stock one likely wouldn't be too clean with a non-Cervélo stem. So they likely used a standard headset cover. But then will leave a little gap behind it).

Price - expensive but not as ridiculous as some others as of late

Does anyone know where to find what stem + bar sizes are used per frame size from Cervélo?

Thanks. Yep. Even the frame only option for this includes a cockpit and seatpost. FRAME/FORK ONLY PLEASE! The 54cm comes with 100mm stem and 42mm bars which id need to swap out. And then potentially swap the seatpost to 0 offset too.

Manufactures could also you know, list the sizes they include on their geo charts as well!

Swaps are easy yes, but a pain. Buy correct size, sell incorrect size, always a loss cost wise.

Stem/bar sizes in the attachment.
Attachments
0A79B45A-2A3E-43C7-A4BD-442A41F4AB07.jpeg

bobshopsupreme

by bobshopsupreme

Yes the scaling of bar and stem sizes with frame sizes is annoying. I would want 38 or 40cm bars and 120mm stem so I would have to sell and re-buy unless the bike shop was generous.

One thing I don't understand is why the bike is a bit of a porker. 8.62 for a 58cm on Bikeradar. Maybe with pedals, but that heavier than a disc Madone with the aero tubing, deep wheels, Isospeed etc. That is nearer 9kg than 8kg for a 6 grand road bike.

Emonda SLR 6 with Ultegra mechanical is 7.26 in 56cm.

Frame for this is supposed to be 930g or something, so where is it gaining more than 1kg. I guess frame, bar/step and 32mm tyres? I guess I've got used to Rides of Japan's Open UP at 6.8kg and these 'modern road' bikes at 8.5kg plus just seem really heavy. For a Domane full suspension endurance bike I get it, but this a fairly standard light carbon frame.

Are the wheels boat anchors? From a 'dream build' Youtube video they looked to be 1490g (I guess for the Reserve 35?) So it's not like they are 1800g cheap wheels that can be easily swapped for an easy 300-400g saving.

So I'm left feeling like this weight would be fine for a £3k do-it-all bike, but at £6k it's too expensive and heavy to replace bikes I already have.

Emonda price/weight ratio looks much better but shame that the clearance is 28mm officially.

chorus88

by chorus88

g32ecs wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm
As someone who lives in Toronto, the name is laughable. Id never dare to ride those roads.

But yeah, the roads are bad in that street. Tons of industrial areas and home improvement stores. One of the busiest street in Toronto for sure.
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/07/cervelo ... de-review/

"In the end, the Caledonia name is quite telling of what this new bike aims to do. It’s a name that pays homage to the Toronto-based road that Cervelo headquarters were located at, and as the company is in the midst of moving country to Orange County, California, this new model looks back at the terribly kept, pot-hole riddled, broken asphalt that Cervelo staff used to race along on their lunch rides – their hell of the north, if you will.

Cervelo Caledonia 5 first-ride review: Where road bikes are headed
by Dave Rome
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

Stendhal

by Stendhal

chorus88 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:52 pm
g32ecs wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm
As someone who lives in Toronto, the name is laughable. Id never dare to ride those roads.

But yeah, the roads are bad in that street. Tons of industrial areas and home improvement stores. One of the busiest street in Toronto for sure.
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/07/cervelo ... de-review/

"In the end, the Caledonia name is quite telling of what this new bike aims to do. It’s a name that pays homage to the Toronto-based road that Cervelo headquarters were located at, and as the company is in the midst of moving country to Orange County, California, this new model looks back at the terribly kept, pot-hole riddled, broken asphalt that Cervelo staff used to race along on their lunch rides – their hell of the north, if you will.

Cervelo Caledonia 5 first-ride review: Where road bikes are headed
by Dave Rome
You win, Southern California. (Sigh, it'd have been fun to have Specialized AND Cervelo in my neighborhood.)
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Jere

by Jere

Hi

I just cannot see the appeal of the new model
I have the first year C5 and new R5 Disc both have distinct differences and ride and handling it seems a new bike it's just a super compromise on everything.
And yes Hidden cables are cool.
Signed
Grumpy old man

maquisard

by maquisard

Jut curious, but can you define what you mean by 'super compromise'?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jere

by Jere

Hi
With out riding one I'm looking at The geometry charts it's not a Crit,Road or Gravel bike Super Compromised.
I've been wrong lots of times a friend of mine is so excited to get one and he is my size.
He doesn't race any more so for him it maybe perfect and he will let me ride a bit so than I may have to eat my words.
GOM