Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maquisard

by maquisard

For the cobbled classics I thought that was always the plan

scarzy

by scarzy

woodyvalentine wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:00 pm
scarzy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:08 pm
woodyvalentine wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:11 pm
Caledonia 5 done.
Etap Red AXS.
EASTON EC90

Not sure exact weight but using the bathroom scale method about 17lbs.
Solid stiff bike.
I like it better than 2020 Systemsix and Supersix stints that I had problems with and didn't like.
My one complaint is that the seatpost doesn't allow much adjustment. I have the zero setback which uses the same clamps on an Aspero although it's round, and there is not much room for adjustment. Cervelo really needs to redesign this. But that's fairly minor. Best new bike purchase for me in a while. AXS front derailleur working okay for now. Built myself. Pretty easy build. Have to glue the steerer plug. Another little downfall. Am happy overall. Underrated frame.
Looks great! What size is this and how tall are you? Interested in building up a Caledonia 5 for an all road bike with some 32s on it but can't decide on a size...
It's a 54.
I'm 5'8"
Saddle height is 72cm BB Cc-TOP.
Stem 110
Bars 40cm

Saddle is slammed as far forward on the 20mm offset seatpost. Not much adjustment.
Stem is slammed on the short stack headset cover.
I'd say 5'8" is the shortest someone should be on a 54. Any smaller and you'd have not much drop or seatpost left.
I was in between sizes with the 51 but I generally go with 54s. This worked out fine. The zero offset seatpost would likely put me a bit too forward. Even less adjustment on that. Maybe a couple MM lower on the front would have been better but geo is a pretty good fit. 51 would've had a few spacers and longer stem.
This is really useful, I'm 181cm but would prefer to ride a smaller frame if I can as I have in the past... Problem here is always going to be adjustability especially when it comes to cable routing I suppose. That makes me think this could work well for me though. Are you confident I'd be good on a 54cm?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scarzy

by scarzy

woodyvalentine wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:03 pm
Wout's:
Sad we won't see it in Roubaix until a little later. Anyone able to ID the stem? Interesting it's aftermarket. Not sure how the routing (wouting?) works on this one.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

It's an FSA stem. Seems like any pro team using Caledonia is using a non-cervelo stem. The cervelo stem matches the D shaped fork. So not sure if when using a round stem the pros have a wedge in there, or if it's fine to use without.

In respect to adjustability. You can go up and down with the stem and the split spacers without redoing routing. But if you want to cut the fork you'd have to undo cables/hoses. Changing stem also requires that. Using the cervelo bars since they run externally in channels you don't need to undo hoses. If you used different bars such as ACR with a hole then yeah you'd need to disconnect.

In terms of sizing - I don't know. Ride what fits you. I was just providing my size and set up. Was not commenting or providing an opinion or recommendation for you. Based on your height you could likely make a 54 or 56 work. Stem saddle height reach etc many other factors. Take a look at geo chart and determine what would be best.

5DII

by 5DII

Have anyone been able to put 35mm slicks on it? (even though technically it's not specced for that)

reodl

by reodl

I have no firsthand knowledge, but in this review, they tested with a 35mm gravel tire. There's no mention of the specific tire that they used, so there's always the possibility that it was an undersized tire.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/07/cervelo ... de-review/

scarzy

by scarzy

woodyvalentine wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:33 pm
It's an FSA stem. Seems like any pro team using Caledonia is using a non-cervelo stem. The cervelo stem matches the D shaped fork. So not sure if when using a round stem the pros have a wedge in there, or if it's fine to use without.

In respect to adjustability. You can go up and down with the stem and the split spacers without redoing routing. But if you want to cut the fork you'd have to undo cables/hoses. Changing stem also requires that. Using the cervelo bars since they run externally in channels you don't need to undo hoses. If you used different bars such as ACR with a hole then yeah you'd need to disconnect.

In terms of sizing - I don't know. Ride what fits you. I was just providing my size and set up. Was not commenting or providing an opinion or recommendation for you. Based on your height you could likely make a 54 or 56 work. Stem saddle height reach etc many other factors. Take a look at geo chart and determine what would be best.
Thanks for your honest opinion and response on this and your insight to the customisation ability! I think I'll pull the trigger on one after the easter break, but probably in red to mix it up a bit on this thread :D

Hapatron

by Hapatron

I need to get a 0 mm off set seatpost in Europa; have anyone found anywhere with stock?

kafreeman

by kafreeman

I picked up a 105 Caledonia today. It rides well, was hunting a Giant TCR to compare it too and they are no where to be found so I went with it.

It feels very smooth. Coming from an alloy 2012 Giant TCR. Sized down from the Giant from a M/L to a 54, so 15mm less stack and 13 less reach. Feels a bit cramped but I am going to go with it for a bit, steerer needs trimmed as I slammed it. This is a good 25 mm shorter than the TCR is. I did find myself pulling my hands back on the hoods often so I will get some long rides in before deciding if I want to stretch it out.

Wheels are speced at over 1800g so some reynolds assaults I've been running on the gravel bike will be going on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

maquisard

by maquisard

Just browsing the Cervelo website and I see a new colour is available for Caledonia-5, Oasis.

Force and Rival AXS builds.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/caledonia-5

kode54

by kode54

Anyone with a Caledonia-5 find a direct mount rear derailleur hanger for Shimano?

A friend is looking for one...I wonder if the Sigeyi DM hangers will work. It says it fits Aspero. Is the hanger the same?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

gSporco

by gSporco

kafreeman wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 4:39 am
I picked up a 105 Caledonia today. It rides well, was hunting a Giant TCR to compare it too and they are no where to be found so I went with it.

It feels very smooth. Coming from an alloy 2012 Giant TCR. Sized down from the Giant from a M/L to a 54, so 15mm less stack and 13 less reach. Feels a bit cramped but I am going to go with it for a bit, steerer needs trimmed as I slammed it. This is a good 25 mm shorter than the TCR is. I did find myself pulling my hands back on the hoods often so I will get some long rides in before deciding if I want to stretch it out.

Wheels are speced at over 1800g so some reynolds assaults I've been running on the gravel bike will be going on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Can you tell us what it weighs? I am considering a Caledonia 105 as a base build as I am not the biggest fan of internal routing. Figured Id buy the 105 and sell off all the parts and build it back up.

Curious to see how light I can get it running Red AXS 1x with 1300 gram wheels
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

1llum4

by 1llum4

kode54 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:46 pm
Anyone with a Caledonia-5 find a direct mount rear derailleur hanger for Shimano?

A friend is looking for one...I wonder if the Sigeyi DM hangers will work. It says it fits Aspero. Is the hanger the same?
AFAIK yes Cervelo use the same derailleur hanger for all their disc bike so the Sigeyi should work.

kode54

by kode54

1llum4 wrote:
kode54 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:46 pm

AFAIK yes Cervelo use the same derailleur hanger for all their disc bike so the Sigeyi should work.
Thx for that info. I will let him know.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StevieB

by StevieB

scarzy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:19 pm
woodyvalentine wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:03 pm
Wout's:
Sad we won't see it in Roubaix until a little later. Anyone able to ID the stem? Interesting it's aftermarket. Not sure how the routing (wouting?) works on this one.
Never know where these things might turn up! Noticed one of the TJV guys was on a Caledonia 5 in the stage 7 mountain TT in Tour de Suisse recently.