Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dalex

by dalex

peterm wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:40 pm
The do have a Caledonia Ultegra Di2 in stock in my size but I have to say that the matte black finish is not that impressive in the flesh - there is quite a lot of variation in the texture of the color - ... Has anyone else noticed the blochy finish on the matte black models - maybe more prevalent on early models?
The matt black models are not painted – they have a matt clearcoat over the carbon, and the "blochiness" is from changes in the visible carbon layup. Personally I like it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

alexneumuller wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:05 am
Does anybody know the thru axle thread size for the front and rear on the Caledonia 5?
According to Robert Axle Project, it's 12x170mm x 1.75 thread pitch for the rear, and 12x125 x 1.5 up front (same as the Aspero)

slashy

by slashy

hi, does the Caledonia 5 have some kind of steerer limiter ? we all know about the S5 one by now, i thought the S3 also had something.

if the Caledonia has it , how does it work ?

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

slashy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:19 pm
hi, does the Caledonia 5 have some kind of steerer limiter ? we all know about the S5 one by now, i thought the S3 also had something.

if the Caledonia has it , how does it work ?
No steering limiter. Bars can hit top tube like normal. See pics a few pages back of headset.

dalex

by dalex

Here's my Caledonia. 56 cm DI2 model with following changes from stock:
- GRX DI2 levers and rear mech
- 40 cm Zipp XPLR bars
- 12 cm BMC alloy stem that my LBS had lying around
- My old Rotor Flow SRM (110 BCD) with new Praxis 52-36 aero chaingrings
- C-bear BBright cyclocross bottom bracket

Weight with stainless steel Speedplay Zeros and one original model Bontager XXX bottle cage: 8.98 kg. Steerer tube to be trimmed later, along with making other running changes.

Last edited by dalex on Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maquisard

by maquisard

Your photographs do not seem to work, please check the URL?

dalex

by dalex

maquisard wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:01 pm
Your photographs do not seem to work, please check the URL?
Thanks for letting me know. Think that the photos should be showing now, if not please comment!

peterm

by peterm

Nice photos - thanks for posting!!

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

dalex wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:57 pm
At the risk of a stupid question, what's the rationale for the GRX over the stock Ultegra?

dalex

by dalex

raggedtrousers wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:51 pm
At the risk of a stupid question, what's the rationale for the GRX over the stock Ultegra?
It's a fair question! For the DI2 STI levers, it's because I find that the GRX ergonomics and brake lever feel are better than Ultegra. For the rear mech, it's because the bike is in part used for light gravel and forest paths, and for this I can activate the clutch for reduced chain slap. This does limit the range of cassettes I can use, but if I really want to use something like an 11–25 cassette I have a cosmetically damaged Dura Ace mech in my parts bin that I can swap in.

slashy

by slashy

couple of questions :
any ride reports ?
would this frame be able to take a 1 piece bb ? (hambini/bbinfinite style)
does it fit in a wahoo kickr core ?

thinking about the regular one for a winterbike.....

tjvirden

by tjvirden

dalex wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:57 pm
- 40 cm Zipp XPLR bars
- 12 cm BMC alloy stem that my LBS had lying around
- My old Rotor Flow SRM (110 BCD) with new Praxis 52-36 aero chaingrings
- C-bear BBright cyclocross bottom bracket

Weight with stainless steel Speedplay Zeros and one original model Bontager XXX bottle cage: 8.98 kg. Steerer tube to be trimmed later, along with making other running changes.
Lovely. GRX Di2 levers & rear mech is a choice I've made for a "road" bike that also sees off-tarmac use.

Not a criticism of this particular bike, but in general the new stuff (disc equipped bikes that is) - is...well....it's not light! I know it's not really a like-for-like comparison, as the versatility is hugely improved, but the $$$ needed to go to 7Kg (or even to 7.5).....!!!
Still, I think Cervelo is going in the right direction again with this and the Aspero. I only wish they had released the C-series with the stack of the Caledonia - it would surely have been massively more popular then. And still available.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

dalex wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:07 am
raggedtrousers wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:51 pm
It's a fair question! For the DI2 STI levers, it's because I find that the GRX ergonomics and brake lever feel are better than Ultegra. For the rear mech, it's because the bike is in part used for light gravel and forest paths, and for this I can activate the clutch for reduced chain slap. This does limit the range of cassettes I can use, but if I really want to use something like an 11–25 cassette I have a cosmetically damaged Dura Ace mech in my parts bin that I can swap in.
Thanks. As I'm in the process of transplanting Di2 over to a new frame, I'll look into this. I assume GRX Di2 'talks to' Ultegra Di2 just fine?

dalex

by dalex

raggedtrousers wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:27 pm
I assume GRX Di2 'talks to' Ultegra Di2 just fine?
Sure, no problem. If you have any doubts, just check the Shimano E-tube comptability chart that can be downloaded from: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/e-tube/p ... ility.html.
Few things to bear in mind:
- With the GRX rear mech, you're locked out of the smallest three casssette sprockets when you're on the small chainring.
- The RX817 rear mech that can take a 42 tooth cassette is only for 1x. A front mech will not work if you try using it.
- Since the GRX chainset puts the chainrings further out, only use the GRX front mech if you're using the GRX chainset. Standard road chainset, use the Ultegra front mech.

dalex

by dalex

tjvirden wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:22 pm
Not a criticism of this particular bike, but in general the new stuff (disc equipped bikes that is) - is...well....it's not light! I know it's not really a like-for-like comparison, as the versatility is hugely improved, but the $$$ needed to go to 7Kg (or even to 7.5).....!!!
I hear you! Compared to my rim brake R5, which is 6.3 kg when set up with Bora tubs, my Caledonia is a tank. Indeed, it's a good bit heavier than the Kinesis TK2 winter bike that it "replaces", that is set up with Shimano deep drop calipers, SRAM Force 1x and an old pair of Campag Neutrons. On the other hand, compared to the Kinesis, it rides and handles better, with mudguards installed it can take 30 mm compared to 23 mm tyres, it's much more capable off tarmac, and stops way faster in the wet. While in the future I plan to get a pair of carbon wheels for it, I have no goal of chasing a much lower weight. In any case, with such a bike, it's likely a zero-sum gain, since you risk killing the versatility...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com