Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TTRV

by TTRV

StevieB wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:07 pm
scarzy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:19 pm
woodyvalentine wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:03 pm
Wout's:
Sad we won't see it in Roubaix until a little later. Anyone able to ID the stem? Interesting it's aftermarket. Not sure how the routing (wouting?) works on this one.
Never know where these things might turn up! Noticed one of the TJV guys was on a Caledonia 5 in the stage 7 mountain TT in Tour de Suisse recently.
Saw it on one of the team cars during the Tour de France too.

bananastand

by bananastand

TTRV wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:25 pm
StevieB wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:07 pm
scarzy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:19 pm
woodyvalentine wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:03 pm
Wout's:
Sad we won't see it in Roubaix until a little later. Anyone able to ID the stem? Interesting it's aftermarket. Not sure how the routing (wouting?) works on this one.
Never know where these things might turn up! Noticed one of the TJV guys was on a Caledonia 5 in the stage 7 mountain TT in Tour de Suisse recently.
Saw it on one of the team cars during the Tour de France too.

Looks like this is a caledonia 5 - any idea how they managed the cable routing with the conventional stem? If I could set up di2 like this but use a non-proprietary stem... man that would be perfect. Hate the proprietary finishing kit

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

My guess is that either A) you can use a regular stem on the modified D Shaped steerer (has a slight curve in the front), or B) cervelo made a pro only wedge to use for normal stems similar to other brands such as Ridley. An email to cervelo would clear it up. I don't believe you need to use the cervelo bars though. Could use FSA ACR bars or anything with a hole in the middle. The carbon stem is pretty nice. I've gotten used to the forward flare/aero bars. But would prefer more non proprietary options. Helps keep the cost down too. Cockpits are one area I personally try to save on. Usually use something in line with the Zipp Service Course SL stem and bars (did in the past) now on to an Easton cockpit on Aspero, and Cervelo through and through cockpit on Caledonia 5. Jumbo Visma is running FSA Regular and ACR stems on the R5 or Caledonia's. There's also the new PRO bars that just came out that might work.

bananastand

by bananastand

Very helpful. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Here's cervelo cockpit for reference. 110 stem + 40 bars. Out front mount is as expected and solid. Overall pretty good cockpit. A little visually different at first.
Attachments
395FED3D-5AD1-44BF-A2BF-F2FDB02383D3.jpeg

bananastand

by bananastand

woodyvalentine wrote:Here's cervelo cockpit for reference. 110 stem + 40 bars. Out front mount is as expected and solid. Overall pretty good cockpit. A little visually different at first.
Looks clean! Are the flared bars 40cm measured at the hoods or at the ends? Thanks!

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

bikesnobyvr wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:45 am
woodyvalentine wrote:Here's cervelo cockpit for reference. 110 stem + 40 bars. Out front mount is as expected and solid. Overall pretty good cockpit. A little visually different at first.
Looks clean! Are the flared bars 40cm measured at the hoods or at the ends? Thanks!

Yes, 40cm at hoods CC. I can't recall drop width but I think 42cm CC. 80mm reach, 120mm drop. Bar model name is AB09. The hydro hoses run in a channel too so not internal but hidden. So can change bar width without re-bleed.

https://www.excelsports.com/cervelo-ab0 ... -handlebar

bananastand

by bananastand

Awesome thx!!

Sigitas

by Sigitas

Hello Cervelo Caledonia holders,

could you measure the maximum distance from BB to the top of the saddle for sizes 54 and 56.

Thank you very much.

ABogle

by ABogle

Sigitas wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:08 pm
Hello Cervelo Caledonia holders,

could you measure the maximum distance from BB to the top of the saddle for sizes 54 and 56.

Thank you very much.
Note that the Caledonia (the cheaper one) comes with an alloy steatpost, so bear that if mind if you plan to replace it with carbon i.e. make sure its long enough. Cervelo can probably tell you the length of the post that it would come with.

tmanley

by tmanley

Curious to hear if anyone has cracked the nut on using a non-Cervelo stem with the D-shaped steerer tube. Like others here I'm curious to know if there's a solution to use a broader range of stem/handlebar options. For me I'd love to find a 140mm/-17* option for the stem.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

tmanley wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:32 pm
Curious to hear if anyone has cracked the nut on using a non-Cervelo stem with the D-shaped steerer tube. Like others here I'm curious to know if there's a solution to use a broader range of stem/handlebar options. For me I'd love to find a 140mm/-17* option for the stem.
Not sure, but interested as well. Perhaps email cervelo directly and let us know. My guesses are it's fine as is, or there's a wedge. Jumbo visma seem to be using both regular stems and ACR stems. The ACR stems aren't needed here because of the D shape steerer. But I suspect sponsors or riders want them.

tmanley

by tmanley

I've been emailing Cervelo on Pantone colors for a matching set of Enve wheelset stickers. I did ask about stem/handlebar combinations and here's what they said:

"The Cervélo R5 forks' D-shaped steerer (common to P-Series, Áspero-5, and Caledonia-5) is designed to be compatible with standard round 28.6mm fork steerer diameter stems.

Note however that the system on the bike also includes the handlebar, shift cables, brake hoses, split ring, bearing cap & any spacers. While we have validated all of these parts assembled as a system on models as spec'd, we have not validated all possible aftermarket combinations which could substitute any of these components, alter cable/hose routing, and also swap the stem itself.

In cases where alternate stems are required to achieve proper fit, Cervélo recommends substituting the original stem with the desired replacement, while keeping all / as many of the other components as originally spec'd where possible, and following the assembly instructions provided by Cervélo.

In such cases the bicycle's warranty will not be voided by the substitution unless it is determined that a warranty claim is due to the assembly of the front end with a third party component or alternative assembly method that directly results in the warranty claim."

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

So regular stem, no wedge. Can virtually use anything then. Regular stem + ACR/DCR bars (Wout set up), or ACR/DCR one piece cockpits (Primoz), or Shimano Pro new one piece, Etc. Not sure why JV are using the ACR stems then aside from marketing. Wout likely using his stem for fit purposes.

One con is buying the Frameset only is it comes with the stem and bars, so have to sell them. If buying complete as well, still have to sell them. Market for resale is medium small on these proprietary parts.

I don't mind the stem and bars on mine, but wouldn't be first choice. I would've gone with a lightweight alu option to save some coin.

tmanley

by tmanley

woodyvalentine wrote:So regular stem, no wedge. Can virtually use anything then. Regular stem + ACR/DCR bars (Wout set up), or ACR/DCR one piece cockpits (Primoz), or Shimano Pro new one piece, Etc.
I’m still getting up to speed on ACR/DCR parts - what products are available and worth investigating more?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com